Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 10:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I don’t really share this part of my life with others, but considering nobody else seems to have personal experience regarding gender dysmorphia I decided to speak up. So starting around 3 years old I experienced I guess what one could call gender dysmorphia, granted everyone experiences it differently. In my case I was the youngest in my family at the time and was growing up with 3 sisters and 1 brother. My brother who was the oldest and would’ve been around 9 at the time was very macho and big and he would pick on me a lot and call me a girl and such for being so weak and feminine I guess. And because of that I would play with my sisters and I identified with them more. At times the bullying would get so bad that I would think maybe my brother was right and that my parents made a mistake and I was a girl all along especially since I thought the only anatomical difference between boys and girls was that girls had a small phallus and boys had large ones, and considering I was just a little boy obviously I had a small one (it also didn’t help that I was the only one in my family who was circumcised), so this confirmed my theory that maybe I was a girl after all. So then I would try and start wearing my sisters dresses since I thought that was the biggest difference between the two sexes. But then my mom would catch me and clearly explain to me what I was doing was wrong though to my surprise at the time my dad was a lot more chill about it and would tell her not to worry and that it was just a phase and I would soon grow out of it. As the time went by these feelings would mostly fade, especially as I started finding a common footing around my brother and found activities we could both bond over (mainly video games) and when I went to kindergarten I definitely identified as a boy, but still in the back of my head I had this feeling that I would make a better girl than a boy and if somebody at that time would’ve told me that I could magically turn into a girl like Pinocchio I would’ve done so no questions asked. But then when I was 6 one of my younger sisters was born and when I saw what a girls anatomy really looked like for the first time I was shocked and disgusted and the thought of me being a girl went out the window. I’m extremely grateful that I didn’t grow up around people who would’ve fed my delusions, and would’ve extremely regretted it if I had fully committed to my female persona.

My takeaway from this experience is that some people have a misconception that males have to be strictly masculine and females have to be strictly feminine and that if they don’t fit in one or the other stereotype then there is something wrong with them and that life would be easier if they reassign their sex to better fit the stereotype, when in fact there is a lot of gray area in between and they can still enjoy the things they want to do while still being their biological sex. And I personally think more often then not they are trying to outrun something which unfortunately will still be there even after the sex change (though I could be projecting) There’s a lot of talk about accepting once self/body/size/weight etc., and I think there should be a conversation about accepting one’s biological sex as well. Granted I was never repulsed by my own body but rather was repulsed/frightened by the way other male figures acted around me, but even then that still sounds like a psychological disorder, if not more so considering there are so many other disorders regarding disgust to ones body such as anorexia.
Thanks for your post.

Old 12-15-2020, 03:14 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Thanks, grega94, for participating in this topic with a perspective that comes from personal experience. I don't know whether most transgender people have had the same experience as you have had, but I do think that you've made some noteworthy observations. There are different ways to navigate this world in which we live, and cheers to you for finding what worked best for you.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 12-15-2020 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Correction made regarding person quoted.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:21 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
The proposed correlates to mental state/beliefs; thus, providing ground for great equivalency.

Transgender, homosexuals, and Xenomelia should each be considered able-bodied beings.

Without distracting from the point of mental stability or belief each member should be loved and fall under the scope of illness/disorder by definition.
Whether it's appropriate or not, the numbers are vastly different. In 2016 there were about 1.9M transgenders in the US. The first study of Xenomelia in 1977 had 52 volunteers. Notwithstanding the genesis of the conditions, that strikes me as a false equivalence, at least numerically.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:26 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Whether it's appropriate or not, the numbers are vastly different. In 2016 there were about 1.9M transgenders in the US. The first study of Xenomelia in 1977 had 52 volunteers. Notwithstanding the genesis of the conditions, that strikes me as a false equivalence, at least numerically.
Without completely marginalizing your prose; the equivalency is based on mental stability and or beliefs.

One able-bodied member believes they're draped in the wrong organic wrap and desires to cut off a bolt or insert a screw (no pun intended) and the other believes they're paraplegic desiring amputation of limbs. Mentally from a young age (perhaps birth) said pair unquestionably feel as such.

Contrasting the first study circa 77' to modern day 16' transgender numbers appears equivocal.

OP ~
Pros:
one feels enthusiastic about their new shell
Exercise your right to live as your new persona
Men reassigning to Woman maintain a greater chase of Olympics gold medals coupled with victories in most competitive sports.
You can become woman of the year
Education; teaching others of your experience and expectations

Cons:
You may feel conflicted after Transformative events, feeling dissatisfied with yourself or results
Your pets may not recognize you
The probability of finding an unconditional relationship, I'd like to believe you're in a niche market.
Unjustly judgement

Last edited by SPECFRCE; 12-15-2020 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-15-2020, 04:21 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times
Quote:
Without completely marginalizing your prose; the equivalency is based on mental stability and or beliefs.

One able-bodied member believes they're draped in the wrong organic wrap and desires to cut off a bolt or insert a screw (no pun intended) and the other believes they're paraplegic desiring amputation of limbs. Mentally from a young age (perhaps birth) said pair unquestionably feel as such.

Contrasting the first study circa 77' to modern day 16' transgender numbers appears equivocal.

OP ~
Pros:
Men reassigning to Woman maintain a greater chase of Olympics gold medals coupled with victories in most competitive sports.

Cons:
You may feel conflicted after Transformative events, feeling dissatisfied with yourself or results
The probability of finding an unconditional relationship, I'd like to believe you're in a niche market.
Unjustly judgement
I recognised mental stability/belief by referencing the "genesis".
Those numbers were the only comparable ones I could find in a quick search. If you have better, you know what to do......

Old 12-16-2020, 02:50 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:

OP ~
Pros:

Cons:
Unjustly judgement
You've got to be joking about the Olympic Medals / excelling in sports, right? M to F transgenders, especially done after puberty, have an "unfair" advantage in sports due to (on average) a higher skeletal mass, larger hands, wider shoulders, etc.. At the very least, they should be required to disclose prior to entering competition, such that other (at birth) female competitors can choose whether they wish to compete. IMHO, the concept is a slap in the face to women's sports, South Park did an episode on this that while greatly exaggerated, still was on the money. And, where would you draw the line? Can a male who identifies as female in their late teens, and before undergoing hormonal treatments or surgery, enter a women's event such as powerlifting? And that would be fair? And, it can be downright dangerous in a contact sport like MMA.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:18 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OP: Did not read the link but think that parents should not be allowed to medically alter their children.

The age of majority is 18 (totally arbitrary and political, but that is the age).

If I had a child who was questioning their gender, I would put them in therapy, asap and tell the kid I will not assist with any altering of their God-given body.

I don't believe introducing toxins into the system for elective purposes is good or smart.
Agree with you 1 billion percent. Glad there's still clear thinking people in this world

Old 12-18-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
You've got to be joking about the Olympic Medals / excelling in sports, right? M to F transgenders, especially done after puberty, have an "unfair" advantage in sports due to (on average) a higher skeletal mass, larger hands, wider shoulders, etc.. At the very least, they should be required to disclose prior to entering competition, such that other (at birth) female competitors can choose whether they wish to compete. IMHO, the concept is a slap in the face to women's sports, South Park did an episode on this that while greatly exaggerated, still was on the money. And, where would you draw the line? Can a male who identifies as female in their late teens, and before undergoing hormonal treatments or surgery, enter a women's event such as powerlifting? And that would be fair? And, it can be downright dangerous in a contact sport like MMA.

Many bullet points should be seen as facetious.

Old 12-18-2020, 01:12 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
Many bullet points should be seen as facetious.
Fair enough. You'd be amazed at the folks who maintain that it's perfectly fair for people who have essentially "male" bodies to compete in female sports, Joe Rogan did an episode about a current trans MMA participant who is beating the heck out of the competition. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer joined the children's Karate class.

Billie Jean King's tennis triumph over Bobby Riggs in the '70's was seen as a Landmark Moment at the time, which was kind of silly when you look at the specifics. There are reasons that sports leagues are typically split between men and women, and those who argue they do not exist are either disingenuous or living in fantasyland. Are there women who can best men at a particular sport? Absolutely, because of the wide spectrum of human size, age, and performance. But on average, biological men have a distinct advantage in size and strength over biological women. Anyhoo, your list did have some amusing observations.

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 12-18-2020 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: typo repair

Old 12-18-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Fair enough. You'd be amazed at the folks who maintain that it's perfectly fair for people who have essentially "male" bodies to compete in female sports, Joe Rogan did an episode about a current trans MMA participant who is beating the heck out of the competition. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer joined the children's Karate class.

Billie Jean King's tennis triumph over Bobby Riggs in the '70's was seen as a Landmark Moment at the time, which was kind of silly when you look at the specifics. There are reasons that sports leagues are typically split between men and women, and those who argue they do not exist are either disingenuous or living in fantasyland. Are there women who can best men at a particular sport? Absolutely, because of the wide spectrum of human size, age, and performance. But on average, biological men have a distinct advantage in size and strength over biological women. Anyhoo, your list did have some amusing observations.

I agree with your sentiment- wholeheartedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates