Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 06:53 AM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times

Advertisements

There are many unanswered questions surrounding gender alteration.

It's expensive-- who should pay for it? Should health insurers be required to cover it?

Should combat regiments be required to accept trans enlistees?

Should high school girl athletes be forced to compete with male-to-female TG's?

Should mis-gendering be a crime? In other words, if you use the wrong pronoun, can the TG sue you? Get you fired? Get you fined by the local Human Rights Commission?

Society should be talking about these issues and come up with solutions, compromises, remedies that are workable and avoid tearing our country apart.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:16 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
There are many unanswered questions surrounding gender alteration.

It's expensive-- who should pay for it? Should health insurers be required to cover it?

Should combat regiments be required to accept trans enlistees?

Should high school girl athletes be forced to compete with male-to-female TG's?

Should mis-gendering be a crime? In other words, if you use the wrong pronoun, can the TG sue you? Get you fired? Get you fined by the local Human Rights Commission?

Society should be talking about these issues and come up with solutions, compromises, remedies that are workable and avoid tearing our country apart.
I wholeheartedly agree. I also think that society is already trying to come up with solutions, compromises, and workable remedies. The problem is that there are people who will not view this as a human rights issue, but instead insist that this is an affectation that does not merit society's consideration.

While people on both sides of this issue remain adamant in their convictions, I think that those who found a way to reconcile themselves with previous societal changes, such as the eventual acceptance of interracial marriage, gay partnerships, and so on, will be able to do so again with transgender people. It will no doubt take time.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:43 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,490 times
Gential mutilation is a crime yet surgeries and hormones are painted so eloquently. There's at least four sexes / genders (that I know of) - if someone is born with an extra x chromosome, let them decide, and then accept them.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:09 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I believe Gender Dysmorphia exist equally as I believe homosexuals and transgender homo-sapiens exist.

Additionally I believe there's a complex or disorder aassociated with each aforementioned life style. My goal isnt to refute they're not who they desire to be. Moreso I'd like to discuss the illness or disorder associated with their belief.

My question is completely serious and innocent. No hidden trapdoors. Would you consider/ describe the man 6"5 or 5'7?
Please stop equating homosexuality with gender / body dysmorphia.
The former is akin to left or right-handedness; the latter is akin to stating you should not have hands!

Old 12-21-2020, 09:14 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. I also think that society is already trying to come up with solutions, compromises, and workable remedies. The problem is that there are people who will not view this as a human rights issue, but instead insist that this is an affectation that does not merit society's consideration.

While people on both sides of this issue remain adamant in their convictions, I think that those who found a way to reconcile themselves with previous societal changes, such as the eventual acceptance of interracial marriage, gay partnerships, and so on, will be able to do so again with transgender people. It will no doubt take time.

Would you wholeheartedly say we have discovered a remedy or solution for either of the aforementioned?

Unfortunately we have not. They have become trivialized and marginalized albeit never truly remedied or resolved and "accepted" by "default" on a Superficial level. That's If were willing to call today's social surmise as acceptance.

Advantageous to [only] the government; the communities (POC & LGBT...) were paired together like a bundle deal. Two seperate committees with varying degrees of Resoluteness and concerns.
With Media you'll notice more interracial and Homosexual partnership over the Black Love. The new age partnership with ethically ambiguous couples presented as Black Loveis laughable at times.

More importantly we must triple down on the root cause with each community's concerns. .Afford this to be our foundation for resolution.

I long for a truthful solution with each community..even if this means clawing through the pride of our nation.

Last edited by SPECFRCE; 12-21-2020 at 09:24 AM..

Old 12-21-2020, 09:19 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Please stop equating homosexuality with gender / body dysmorphia.
The former is akin to left or right-handedness; the latter is akin to stating you should not have hands!
RE: I believe Gender Dysmorphia exist equally as I believe homosexuals and transgender homo-sapiens exist.

Perhaps everyone is mistaken.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:33 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
RE: I believe Gender Dysmorphia exist equally as I believe homosexuals and transgender homo-sapiens exist.

Perhaps everyone is mistaken.
Of course they all 'exist'... serial killers also exist... but they should not be equated.

Old 12-21-2020, 10:28 AM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post

Right, I agree with your first point - we should give ourselves a little credit. It wasn't that long ago that society was not accepting of same-sex marriage, though civil unions were legal in a few states (I attended one such wedding in Vermont back in around 2003).

But now it's legal in a few states, the Supreme Court declared it a guaranteed right (Obergefell v. Hodges), and the general population is generally favorable even in some of the more conservative states.

Gender fluidity is huge now among college students. The teen-early-20s crowd that I know are very open and accepting of TG's. Amazon, Netflix, Disney, etc. are scrambling to fill their entertainment rosters with LGBT+ including "T" (transgender) actors.

It's a huge cultural shift that honestly I think is a healthy thing overall, though the "cancel culture" of trying to get people fired for thoughtlessly mis-gendering someone is going to an extreme and may cause a backlash.

I still have doubts though about tinkering too much with the military, and women's athletics. Let's face facts: TG is an aberration, not a cultural norm, and there are certain areas where it just doesn't fit. I'm not saying we can't evolve solutions, though - for example have a special wing of the military for alternative genders, and a 3rd branch of athletics for neither-boy-nor-girl so that they can enjoy competing.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:49 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
21 years old would probably be a better fit than someone in their teens. Especially boys who are really slower at maturing. Under 18 is nuts really. Heck growing up has a lot of sexual experimentation for some and all kind of learning behaviors. Not everyone comes of age at 13, some might not until 18 or whatever. Not one side fits all, but 18 would be the earliest IMHO. Regardless of what awful media exposure the poor young kids have been exposed to.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:46 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,174,802 times
If I understand this, a minor child can decide that they want to be a different gender and that's ok. They are mature enough for that. But if this same child has sexual relations with a another person, that person is automatically guilty of rape because a minor does not have the requisite capacity for consent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates