Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 08:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

I haven't read this entire long thread, but is there any chance that this is biological? College biology was long ago for me but I seem to remember that some animals could change gender. I just looked it up and it's called hermaphrodotism.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/sequ...anging-animals

Couldn't we all be on a spectrum with some being more male and some being more female? I wouldn't know the genetics or the cause or the cure but I think it's possible.

Also, there could be cases where it's a psychological disorder and there could also be cases in which it's a physical disorder. Thinking of homosexuality--although there's no evidence yet, most of them are probably born that way. They can't change. Probably no one would want to be born homosexual. I have known people who didn't know they were gay. They just knew there was something "wrong" with them. Eventually, sometimes with the help of a therapist, they figured out what was wrong with them. Not that they were happy with it, but they learned to accept it.

As an aside, by doing genealogy, I found a distant cousin who is gay. She told me that through genealogy she met up with a lot more from that branch of the family and they were all gay. And that lines up with the 19th century woman from her branch who married into my family, because she was an oddball, an amazing and mysterious person, and I think she was a lesbian. Then, when I discovered another relative back in England whose mother was from that family, HE was gay too. I think this line even traces back to an old family about which there is a film called "Gentleman Jack." It's about a famous lesbian who looked and dressed exactly like a man.

Anyway, even though we don't have proof that any of this gender identity is hereditary, I think a lot of it probably is. If so, I feel sorry for all of those who are told that they are crazy or that they can just change. Ideally, most people who feel that their gender doesn't match with how they feel, are only passing through a temporary stage of confusion. Those people could be helped with counseling and if counseling fails, I still don't think they should be allowed to change gender until they are grown adults. I'm making allowances for the chance that maybe they really are physically in the wrong body, because it could be the case.

(I realize I got kind of wordy but if anyone's interested, and I did see someone mention it)--

Males changing into women and then participating in women's sports. NO! They still have the musculature of a man and it's unfair to women to have to compete. The males who have switched cannot have it all; they are fortunate that there was surgery and hormones and that they had the opportunity to avail themselves of these scientific solutions. Be content with that. They may officially be women but I don't think they should be seen biologically the same as women who were born female. They are both and they are neither at the same time.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:20 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,675 times
I highly recommend reading Abigail Shrier's book "Irreversible Damage: The transgender craze seducing our daughters". It's hard to find as it is not popular amongst your transgender rights activists. What's ironic is that the author is actually sympathetic toward kids with true gender dysphoria, but her extensive research shows that there is a huge social contagion aspect that is going on now. Usually these girls will go through of time of typical teenage angst and confusion and find an instant community if they identify as trans. Entire friend groups of girls in high schools will suddenly discover they are "men" and when they do they have a huge audience of support from other trans girls and social media influencers. They'll be hailed as being "brave".Normally gender dysphoria presents itself in toddlerhood but none of these girls had that.

What's also interesting is that most of these girls do not want to become true men. Few (if any) want the "full" surgery. They just don't want to be girls so "trans" is now a new gender, sort of a limbo between genders. Girls will take hormones but will stop at surgery.

What shocked me is that California is passing legislation where teens 13+ can start receiving hormones at school. If a girl goes to a school counselor and declares she is a man, parents have no authority. That girl is able to receive hormonal therapy at school without any contact to the parent. This is all fully funded by the government.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:50 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,873,458 times
There are those who experience true gender dysphoria as well as those who may merely be unconsciously imitating what they see in the news and through their social network platforms. Children and adolescents, in particular, learn through imitation, as developmental psychologists have pointed out.

It's really up to the health care professionals to work with both parents and children within each family to determine the difference. Those who are not personally affected cannot know what some young people are going through and what some families are dealing with.

As for the anecdote about "California is passing legislation" to supposedly allow teens 13+ "to receive hormonal therapy at school without any contact to the parent," this sounds to me like the sort of apocryphal "outrage news item" that frequently gets circulated through social media. Coloradomom22, please provide the number of such a bill in the California State legislature so those of us interested can have a look for ourselves as to the wording. Thank you.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:39 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
It's a difficult decision for parents to make about gender reassignment in minors.

We have a friend who is in transition who is 60 now. He is going from male to female. We've had conversations about how and when he knew he was trapped in the wrong body, and he said when he was very young.

This was not talked about or accepted back in the day. It's easy to dismiss and ridicule things you don't understand. I only know of the suffering he went through throughout his childhood. If you can alleviate that early on? Why not?

That doesn't mean that these decisions should be looked at lightly. There have been people that have gone through transitions that have regretted it as well. We still do not have all the answers as to why this happens. Reproduction is not a perfect process, and there are anomalies. Maybe this is just another birth defect? Maybe it's psychological? Does it matter? I don't think so. Each of us has the right to live life the way we see fit without interference or judgement.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:11 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
There are those who experience true gender dysphoria as well as those who may merely be unconsciously imitating what they see in the news and through their social network platforms. Children and adolescents, in particular, learn through imitation, as developmental psychologists have pointed out.

It's really up to the health care professionals to work with both parents and children within each family to determine the difference. Those who are not personally affected cannot know what some young people are going through and what some families are dealing with.

As for the anecdote about "California is passing legislation" to supposedly allow teens 13+ "to receive hormonal therapy at school without any contact to the parent," this sounds to me like the sort of apocryphal "outrage news item" that frequently gets circulated through social media. Coloradomom22, please provide the number of such a bill in the California State legislature so those of us interested can have a look for ourselves as to the wording. Thank you.
This is something the California Teacher's Association is working on in their "Policies: Health, Welfare and Safety" strategies. It has yet to be official legislation. However the California Teacher's Assocation in 2019 voted on item #6/19-12 that allows trans-identified minors to leave campus for gender hormone treatments without parent's permission which is currently allowed. A lot of policies pass without becoming state legislation.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
This is something the California Teacher's Association is working on in their "Policies: Health, Welfare and Safety" strategies. It has yet to be official legislation. However the California Teacher's Assocation in 2019 voted on item #6/19-12 that allows trans-identified minors to leave campus for gender hormone treatments without parent's permission which is currently allowed. A lot of policies pass without becoming state legislation.
Colorodomom22, you appear to have gotten this from Chapter Four of that book you mentioned, titled Irreversible Damage. The "item #6/19-12" that you mentioned does not represent any "passing legislation" in California's State Legislature, but instead is an item number that was on the agenda for a quarterly meeting of a teacher's union. Contrary to what was written in the book (and also misrepresented in The Epoch Times), this was not "a proposal to allow trans-identified minor students to leave campus during school hours to obtain gender hormone treatments without parental permission." (Quote taken directly from that book.)

Here is the exact wording that appeared in the January 2020 CTA Report of Board Directors:

Note: "and their families" which I've highlighted. The confidentiality mentioned applies to keeping family information confidential from outsiders.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:07 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:

California AB2119, passed in 2018, concerns children in foster care. Basically, minors and non-minors in foster care have the right to independent "gender affirming" treatment as prescribed by medical/psychiatric professionals.

California AB2218 just approved by the state senate, provides public funding for hormonal treatments such as puberty blockers, the "Transgender Wellness and Equity Fund". One of the justifications for this bill is this statement: "(b) In California, 27 percent, or 796,000, of youth 12 to 17, inclusive, years of age are viewed as gender nonconforming by their peers at school." 27% of all teens in California are considered eligible for this program simply on the basis of what other teens think of them. Let that sink in.

California SB145, passed in the State Senate and awaiting Newsom's signature. "This bill would exempt from mandatory registration under the act a person convicted of certain offenses involving minors if the person is not more than 10 years older than the minor and if that offense is the only one requiring the person to register." So, in other words, a sexual predator aged 23 who goes after a 13-year-old is exempt from being registered as a sex offender. He/she can move into your neighborhood and you won't know it. Not exactly on the topic of sex-change for minors, but indicative of the lunatic lurch in California toward basically decriminalizing rape and sexual abuse of children.

California SB-1004, passed out of committee in the State Senate, will effectively allow minors to get sex change treatments without parental knowledge. The insurance companies must keep the treatment a secret from the parents even though they pay for the policy. According to PressCalifornia, minors can seek chemical treatments at Planned Parenthood centers without parental knowledge or permission, and it will be a crime for anyone to report this treatment to the parents without the minor's knowledge.

And as ColoradoMom pointed out, the CTA (California Teachers Assoc.) has a strong agenda to separate minors from parents in the sex change decision. From Epoch Times (CTA won't make their report publicly available): "CTA believes comprehensive school based health care clinics are needed to bring caring and responsive services to young people. The clinics shall provide cisgender, transgender and non-binary youth equal and confidential access to decision-making rights for students and their families." The article went on to detail how California laws and upcoming legislation are separating the decisionmaking process from the parents, into a third party "health care clinic" at school. Already, under California state law, school counselors are not allowed to report a minor's sexual orientation to the parents. CTA would extend this to sex change treatment.

I think there are several more examples, but this is all easily found on the Internet and I encourage those who are interested to google it.

California leads the nation in creating new "rights" that perhaps are well intentioned but in the long run will have disastrous consequences for people too young to understand what they are doing.

I have posted before that friends of the family allowed one of their teens to get hormone treatments at the age of 15, which in my opinion is way too early to expect her to know what she's getting into. Evidence is emerging that hormonal treatments irrevocably alter one's natural ability to produce ova or sperm, despite earlier claims that the treatments are "reversible".

Rather than pander to this extreme fringe of sexually confused or "trapped" individuals by allowing them to play out a fantasy that is damaging both to them and to the stability of the family and society, they should be provided psychiatric care and counseling to work through it. A majority of gender-confused children in the past ended up growing out of it. Today, the minute they express gender confusion, a whole industry of gender professions marches in to help them through "the process of transitioning". It is child abuse on a gigantic scale, a horrendous crime in my opinion.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:52 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Colorodomom22, you appear to have gotten this from Chapter Four of that book you mentioned, titled Irreversible Damage. The "item #6/19-12" that you mentioned does not represent any "passing legislation" in California's State Legislature, but instead is an item number that was on the agenda for a quarterly meeting of a teacher's union. Contrary to what was written in the book (and also misrepresented in The Epoch Times), this was not "a proposal to allow trans-identified minor students to leave campus during school hours to obtain gender hormone treatments without parental permission." (Quote taken directly from that book.)

Here is the exact wording that appeared in the January 2020 CTA Report of Board Directors:

Note: "and their families" which I've highlighted. The confidentiality mentioned applies to keeping family information confidential from outsiders.
Could not rep you again.

Old 12-31-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
[respectfully snipped]

And as ColoradoMom pointed out, the CTA (California Teachers Assoc.) has a strong agenda to separate minors from parents in the sex change decision. From Epoch Times (CTA won't make their report publicly available): "CTA believes comprehensive school based health care clinics are needed to bring caring and responsive services to young people. The clinics shall provide cisgender, transgender and non-binary youth equal and confidential access to decision-making rights for students and their families." The article went on to detail how California laws and upcoming legislation are separating the decisionmaking process from the parents, into a third party "health care clinic" at school. Already, under California state law, school counselors are not allowed to report a minor's sexual orientation to the parents. CTA would extend this to sex change treatment.[again, snipped]
Not only has CTA made their report publicly available, I even posted a link to it in my previous post, where you will find that quote which Epoch Times selected to misrepresent what was stated in the report.

btw, Epoch Times is about as reliable a nooze source as Alex Jones. (I also included a link to the Wikipedia article on Epoch Times in my previous post).

Old 12-31-2020, 05:41 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Not only has CTA made their report publicly available, I even posted a link to it in my previous post, where you will find that quote which Epoch Times selected to misrepresent what was stated in the report.

btw, Epoch Times is about as reliable a nooze source as Alex Jones. (I also included a link to the Wikipedia article on Epoch Times in my previous post).
Okay you don't like Epoch Times. A lot of other people do like it.

What about all the other things I mentioned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates