Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 09:09 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
If I understand this, a minor child can decide that they want to be a different gender and that's ok. They are mature enough for that. But if this same child has sexual relations with a another person, that person is automatically guilty of rape because a minor does not have the requisite capacity for consent?
Apples to oranges. The parents of the minor child have a say in what the child wants for himself, and gender reassignment is not a decision that is entered into lightly. A child must go through a professional evaluation if the child desires more than merely dressing up as a member of the opposite sex and saying that he or she is a member of the opposite sex, or even "genderless." Some parents may even opt to have their child professionally evaluated regardless of whether or not they agree with their child's decision. In either case, the ultimate decision is left to the parents and the professionals, who no doubt will have the child's best interests at heart.

There is no professional evaluation that will allow children who fall under the thrall of a sexual predator to have sexual relations. Because sexual predation on children is (thankfully) illegal.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:33 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Gender dysphoria is not a mental illness that could be "cured" by meds and therapy.

Gender identity conflict is called gender dysphoria, a term that mean dissatisfaction. It involves a conflict between a person's physical or assigned gender and the gender they identify. People with gender dysphoria feel distress over this conflict, often at an early age but sometimes not until puberty or later. That conflict can
bring extreme anxiety and frustration that can't be simply cured by a shrink.
I am a mental health professional and work in a behavioral hospital. We admit teens with gender dysphoria that are stressed, depressed and suicidal because there is so little understanding how they feel.
There is no need to made it worse by stigma, discrimination and bullying from others or denial from close family and friends.
Old stereotypes kick in when education and understanding is what's needed.
I disagree with your OPINION that gender dysphoria is not a mental illness.

From my perspective, it is a refusal to accept the reality of one's biology.

The answer (again, my point-of-view) is to work on accepting oneself.

To introduce powerful hormones and toxins into a juvenile's system, I believe, is child abuse.

To go further and cut off body parts is akin to assault (or possibly even Munchausen's by Proxy). It's not "normal" to want to cut your body parts off and/or sew other body parts on (especially not to a child's body).

Old 12-30-2020, 10:56 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

To introduce powerful hormones and toxins into a juvenile's system, I believe, is child abuse.

To go further and cut off body parts is akin to assault (or possibly even Munchausen's by Proxy). It's not "normal" to want to cut your body parts off and/or sew other body parts on (especially not to a child's body).
Children do not get surgery.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:21 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:

Until the PC Police took over, gender dysphoria was considered a mental disorder. Now they've made it unlawful or professionally suicidal for mental health professionals to treat the disorder. This is politics, not science.

And where do young kids, under 10, get these ideas? From a disturbed parent?

Letting biological males compete in girls'/womens' athletics make a total joke of the feminist movement. It is massively unfair, anyone with half a brain can see that. Where the hell are Jane Fonda and all the other bra-burners on this obvious stab in the back to all females everywhere? Nowhere, that's where.

And IF one decides to get their own body cut on--hmm, don't borderlines do that?--the age limit should be a minimum of 30.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:43 AM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Until the PC Police took over, gender dysphoria was considered a mental disorder. Now they've made it unlawful or professionally suicidal for mental health professionals to treat the disorder. This is politics, not science.

And where do young kids, under 10, get these ideas? From a disturbed parent?

Letting biological males compete in girls'/womens' athletics make a total joke of the feminist movement. It is massively unfair, anyone with half a brain can see that. Where the hell are Jane Fonda and all the other bra-burners on this obvious stab in the back to all females everywhere? Nowhere, that's where.

And IF one decides to get their own body cut on--hmm, don't borderlines do that?--the age limit should be a minimum of 30.
Up until a few years ago, gender dysphoria was listed as a "mental illness" in the DSM (psychiatric manual). Then the APA changed it to "disorder". I don't know if they've revisited this since, changed it to "condition" which would suggest it's not even an aberration, but more like "blond vs. brunette".

Old 12-30-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Children do not get surgery.
The word "children" was used in this context to describe any person under the age of majority.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
The word "children" was used in this context to describe any person under the age of majority.
People under the age of 18 do not get surgery.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
People under the age of 18 do not get surgery.
I have read that some do.

Please cite your source.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:33 PM

Here is a source that shows some info on "underage" procedures:

https://www.genderhq.org/trans-youth...nder-dysphoria

Old 12-30-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I have read that some do.

Please cite your source.
"Gender reassignment surgery is widely restricted to adults over the age of 18."

Quoted from Thomson Reuters Foundation News, the corporate foundation of Thomson Reuters, the global news and information services company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates