Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:01 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I agree. However, It must be a two way street. Let's be honest, Africans were/are not innocent either in either the slave trade or public preception. Most whites (anyone for that matter) won't take being smeared with a broad brush for acts they themselves may not agree with. 44% of white americans voted for Obama. Don't forget that. There is a sense that many Blacks want to paint a picture of "Black people = Good White People = Bad", and that's garbage.

Second, I would also like some civil rights leaders to clairfy what exactly the end goal is. It's fustrating to see such a monumental achievement such as Obama and still have people bleeting how were still stuck in 1955 Alabama. There was a piece about the Black Panthers and the leader said "We could have 50 Obamas from here on out, America is always and will forever be racist". With a mentality like that, this nation will go nowhere.

Let's be real now, a certain level of self-segregation is gonna occur. Many Inner city minorities are now bleeting about young whites in their hood. Turnabout is fair play, no?
I didn't explain as well as I was trying to explain. It is 2009 and we finally did elect a Black president. With that said, there are still some people out there who are very prejudice and who act on things that have been passed down to them. The bad things that have been passed down need to end here. This is the generation where the generational curses need to end.
The reason many inner city minorities complain about whites are for the same reason many whites complain about minorities. There is resentment, prejudice and anger passed down. People in general have to be willing to break the curses and be willing to live with one another is society for there to be real dialogue. The legal part was fought. There are still other battles that need to be fought. The way people will stop painting each other with a broad pain brush is if there is dialogue and people are willing to confront things.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I didn't explain as well as I was trying to explain. It is 2009 and we finally did elect a Black president. With that said, there are still some people out there who are very prejudice and who act on things that have been passed down to them. The bad things that have been passed down need to end here. This is the generation where the generational curses need to end.
The reason many inner city minorities complain about whites are for the same reason many whites complain about minorities. There is resentment, prejudice and anger passed down. People in general have to be willing to break the curses and be willing to live with one another is society for there to be real dialogue. The legal part was fought. There are still other battles that need to be fought. The way people will stop painting each other with a broad pain brush is if there is dialogue and people are willing to confront things.
You wouldn't begin to understand black pain...... unless your black.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:01 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Sorry, dude. I once had an elderly neighbor who still had a tat from a German concertration camp on her. I was friends with the son of a Khmer Rouge refugee. Two classmates of mine in HS fled Sierra Leone.

AAs aren't the only group who have felt "pain" or have been "enslaved" by societal forces. What i'm about to say will ruffle feathers, but Americans, including black Americans, are whiners. Ask any African what pain and sufferning is like and they'll laugh in your face about the petty bull of the "AA experience" post Civil-Rights era. My own co-worker from Haiti thinks it's garabge. Try living in a third world slum where your kids eat dirt and armed militias can come in and take your sons off to war. Obama's ancestry is Kenyan, a country with some of the biggest and worst slums in the world.

Anyone in this country who complains about being oppressed needs to be slapped in the face, hard....

Old 04-16-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Sorry, dude. I once had an elderly neighbor who still had a tat from a German concertration camp on her. I was friends with the son of a Khmer Rouge refugee. Two classmates of mine in HS fled Sierra Leone.

AAs aren't the only group who have felt "pain" or have been "enslaved" by societal forces. What i'm about to say will ruffle feathers, but Americans, including black Americans, are whiners. Ask any African what pain and sufferning is like and they'll laugh in your face about the petty bull of the "AA experience" post Civil-Rights era. My own co-worker from Haiti thinks it's garabge. Try living in a third world slum where your kids eat dirt and armed militias can come in and take your sons off to war. Obama's ancestry is Kenyan, a country with some of the biggest and worst slums in the world.

Anyone in this country who complains about being oppressed needs to be slapped in the face, hard....
See the problem is....I didnt say that blacks were the only ones who went through pain. But the thing that happens is once black people mention the scars the we have,other races try to justify the scars any way they can. If your not black youll never understand what we go through.....so slap yourself.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I am black. I do understand black pain. I feel it at times. It isn't always the name calling, but the subtle things that hurt too. Once there is a sense of understanding, which in many cases, there isn't, then true dialogue and a vast and drastic improvement of race relations can begin.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:

I beg to differ.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:34 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
See the problem is....I didnt say that blacks were the only ones who went through pain. But the thing that happens is once black people mention the scars the we have,other races try to justify the scars any way they can. If your not black youll never understand what we go through.....so slap yourself.
Last time I checked, Haiti and Serria Leone, two countries mentioned in my post, were pretty Black. So if you're referring to African Americans (Or even more specifically, those who's ancestry derives from American slavery), then my comment stands. Now, looking at some of the posts here on City-Data, there is simply no question white power views are alive and well here in the US. On that, we have no disagreement. That's why I argee with Laffte that we need serious dialouge on the issue.

But two things: One, there will always be racist people, it's part of life. Two, with this in mind, it can no longer be used as an exucse for self-destructive behavior. If some meth-smoking redneck goes google eyed on you, then you're just gonna have to get googly eyed back.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Last time I checked, Haiti and Serria Leone, two countries mentioned in my post, were pretty Black. So if you're referring to African Americans (Or even more specifically, those who's ancestry derives from American slavery), then my comment stands. Now, looking at some of the posts here on City-Data, there is simply no question white power views are alive and well here in the US. On that, we have no disagreement. That's why I argee with Laffte that we need serious dialouge on the issue.

But two things: One, there will always be racist people, it's part of life. Two, with this in mind, it can no longer be used as an exucse for self-destructive behavior. If some meth-smoking redneck goes google eyed on you, then you're just gonna have to get googly eyed back.
Your still justifying what us blacks in america been through!!.....I actually know what goes on in other places and have friends in the military who have actually been to these places. I can only talk about the shoes I walk in.....If your not AA/Black you cant tell us what to feel!!!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:52 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Pain and suffering is relative, for instance should Madoff be sent to Rikkers Island or Rahway?, no, the place that he will suffer in will be considered a luxury condo to someone in America. It doesn’t make it less sufferable to him. No one comes to America and is satisfied to live like the worst off of us. Sometimes being African American is like an injured athlete capable of breaking the world record. The real suffering is not from the pain of the injury but from not having something within your reach. Racism, discrimination, bigotry, and slavery, are among the most defiled words in the English language, unfortunately they are almost always used in reference to African American culture. There are many Ethnic groups historically that have been permanently injured; Gypsies, Jews, Palestinians, Basque, Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, and African Americans are just another one on them. IMO it is futile to decide who has suffered more. It is pure folly to assume that African Americans have squandered some golden opportunity of having been brought to America to suffer.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 04-17-2009 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Pain and suffering is relative, for instance should Madoff be sent to Rikkers Island or Rahway?, no, the place that he will suffer in will be considered a luxury condo to someone in America. It doesn’t make it less sufferable to him. No one comes to America and is satisfied to live like the worst off of us. Sometimes being African American is like an injured athlete capable of breaking the world record. The real suffering is not from the pain of the injury but from not having something within your reach. Racism, discrimination, bigotry, and slavery, are among the most defiled words in the English language, unfortunately they are almost always used in reference to African American culture. There are many Ethnic groups historically that have been permanently injured; Gypsies, Jews, Palestinians, Basque, Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, and African Americans are just another one on them. IMO it is futile to decide who has suffered more. It is pure folly to assume that African Americans have squandered some golden opportunity of having been brought to America to suffer.
Thank you......I agree 1000%.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates