Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 PM

78 posts, read 72,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You're absolutely right. Hard work, education, and good choices tend to have positive consequences.

On the other hand, dropping out of school, joining a gang, selling drugs, knocking up girls, shooting people and getting shot at and arrested tend to bring negative consequences.

Of course, I do understand that it's all about racism, excuses and slavery. But the truth is still the truth. EVERY one of us - if we'll stop making excuses for our behavior - CAN improve our lot in life.
Unless you've grown up in an inner city, it's difficult to imagine how it is for those people. What is nothing but a "bad decision" to you is often the only way of life for people who are basically born into disadvantage from day one. Of course, some manage to claw themselves out of it, but most do not. Blaming them may make you feel better, but it is counterproductive and doesn't solve the overall problem.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,631 times
Default Did you forget something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Trooper View Post
better access to healthcare,better education,better jobs, more community outreach programs, more neighborhood/church programs. more investigators to better handle cases with fierce accuracy and more efficiencly.instituting the D.A.R.E or a similiars programs into the schools.community revitalization projects,better emphasis on values. thats all i can think for now if someone wants to pick it up from there feel free to do so.
I do not see where you mention getting the people out to work.

I know your intentions are good - But the left wing has the country so brainwashed that the last thing they want people to think about is people being responsible for themselves.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:54 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ12345 View Post
Unless you've grown up in an inner city, it's difficult to imagine how it is for those people. What is nothing but a "bad decision" to you is often the only way of life for people who are basically born into disadvantage from day one. Of course, some manage to claw themselves out of it, but most do not. Blaming them may make you feel better, but it is counterproductive and doesn't solve the overall problem.
Am I blaming them? No. I'm simply stating the facts. And I'm stating them from the inner-city, not some rural area or upper-class suburb.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Am I blaming them? No. I'm simply stating the facts. And I'm stating them from the inner-city, not some rural area or upper-class suburb.
Wasn't addressed at YOU personally (I obviously don't know you or your background), I was just making a general point.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:03 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ12345 View Post
Wasn't addressed at YOU personally (I obviously don't know you or your background), I was just making a general point.
Well... It sure seemed directly addressed to me, since you quoted my previous post.

The bottom line is that the change is going to have to come from WITHIN the ghettos themselves. And that is going to be very, very difficult.

It's similar in some ways to a drop-dead drunk alcoholic. We can all offer help, and want really badly for the person to get better. But until that person decides for him/herself to make the necessary changes, it's not going to happen.

Also, we can spend all kinds of time arguing about whose fault it is. And obviously, that is ALL some people want to do. But placing blame isn't going to fix anything.

If what you're doing isn't working, you need to do something else.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I do not see where you mention getting the people out to work.

I know your intentions are good - But the left wing has the country so brainwashed that the last thing they want people to think about is people being responsible for themselves.
Your post clearly illustrates part of the problem - partisanship, i.e. your mentioning of "the left wing". Put partisanship aside and think solutions. By all means, get people to work, but also consider helping people to believe in themselves. For too long, the USA has been a society that looks down on the poor / disadvantaged. Honestly, do you blame them for turning to drugs / crime, or for just saying Moderator cut: language it" and claiming welfare? These people are damned if they do and damned if they don't. It's also weird how the United States has such a severe problem with its ghettos and its poor turning to crime, while it's less of a problem in other developed countries. Have you ever given a thought as to WHY that is the case? It's not because of the availability of firearms over here, that's for sure. It's not because of immigrants either, because other countries have immigrants too.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-10-2010 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other & please use appropriate language.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I thnik that we have seen kids that come from problem areas and problem parent but for some reason they have something many others do not.I knew people that were raised in the projects and asked how they got out. many said they join the military even to get away from the life. i asked why and was told because i didn't want that life.Something different it seems in them.How did they get it ;who knows;maybe some are born with ambition and drive more than others.It certainly doesn't help when society rewards their heroes who often act like thugs tho.lookng at even the ones who are from more normal homes and become celebrities they often fall into drugs and other problems. Many can not handle success it seems without screwing up their lifes.What makes one handle it fine and others not maybe why some get out of the ghetto and others don't. Its not just wealth that is for sure.many in the past have been raised in much more poverty than suffered now ;so I don't really know.Good parents seem to help but doesn't assure a good person.You see many than seem to leave the inflkuence of their parents and start downhill in school ;using drugs intheir early teens while having made good grades and never been in trouble before that.Influence of the outside seems to take over.I have firneds who children didn;t recover until about thirty and others that never did; just keep going downhill. Using drugs was a very common factor tho.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:34 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times
If you are raised in a poor part of town, it must be OK for you to be a gang banging thug who doesn't have the desire to work, and would rather use welfare money to support yourself and sling rock or whores on the corner.

That is complete bs.

So is the whole line of "the present is based off the past". Just because I kicked a random person in the nuts last month, that is not the cause of the entire planet going sterile.

Quit being a lazy slag, get off your tail and get to work. Strive to succeed in school, just because all your friends are lazy dirtbags who's parents couldn't give two turds about them, doesn't mean you have to be. Lead by example, don't follow sorely in the sorrows of a century past. Anyone that uses the oppression of their ancestors as an excuse for their present day actions is a loser, plain and simple. My grandmother was born into Nazi occupied Germany. You sure don't see me blaming any ill fate on hitler, do you? Nope, that's because I, and ONLY I, am responsible for myself.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:36 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
I guess if you can make a ton of money selling drugs, whats the incentive to leave the ghetto?

Old 06-11-2010, 08:15 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right. Hard work, education, and good choices tend to have positive consequences.

On the other hand, dropping out of school, joining a gang, selling drugs, knocking up girls, shooting people and getting shot at and arrested tend to bring negative consequences.

Of course, I do understand that it's all about racism, excuses and slavery. But the truth is still the truth. EVERY one of us - if we'll stop making excuses for our behavior - CAN improve our lot in life.
The idea that ones fate it totally up to the individual is a myth. We live in an interdependent construct. Look at our nation's recent economic decline....17% real (BLS U6 employment data) unemployment. To follow the logic you just presented, the economic decline and peoples misfortunes is rooted in a decline of people being educated, a decline of people willing to work hard, an increase in people joining gangs, and most importantly....and INCREASE IN PEOPLE MAKING EXCUSES!!! Moreover, this decline in morality, ethics, education, intellect (to make the proper choices) and behavior manifested from 2007 to 2008 (whent he recession/depression started). What school of economic thought is that? Classical, Austrian, Keynsian, Chicago...? Depressions and recessions are the result of an increase in EXCUSES by citizens which results to rising unemployment and increased poverty. Its this sort of illogic and the right to vote that ensures that these problems will continue.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 06-11-2010 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates