U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-23-2008, 12:25 AM
 
7 posts, read 13,414 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

The question should ask is there any reasons why it should be illegal rather than is there any reasons why it should'nt be. There is no reason that it should not be legal for responsible people to use it.
To many people hold on to the old myths and lies that have been told to them. Most of who probaly never tried it or if they have they never had a need for it, however there are people that have a need for it and their receptors in their brains are more readily wired to take it in and thats hard for some people to understand when they get a different effect or a displeasing effect from it. Not every one can stand for sour kraut or spinach but some people love it and the same applies to canabis. Marijuana went illigal basicly because of a paper tycoon who helped to get the law passed so he and others would not have to compete with the hemp industry. Meanwhile today there are alot of sufferers of cronic pain and other ailments that can benefit greatly from using it. It is alot safer than anything in the world that you can take for whatever problem you are having and that includes asprin yes asprin is worse than many many days of marijuana smoking. One thing i have studied is how alot of ciggarette smokers will develope lung cancer and they have never smoked canabis while those who smoked cigarettes with canabis often never did. The media lies to you and everyone else when it mentions how bad and how many toxins are in the smoke. Marijuana was given by god Genesis 4:20 and he saw that it is good. My uncle has been a medical doctor for over 35 years and i belive in him when he says it can even help people with asthma conditions. The only reason it should not be made legal is because then it would most likely turn to crap and people would develop health problems from it if the government gets thier hands on it to do what they want to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2008, 03:15 AM
 
Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,313,409 times
Reputation: 9335
It impairs natural motor function, reflexes and cognitive skills. All we need on top of drunk driving is a bunch of potheads driving around. Seems to me the burden to prove anything is on those wanting it legalized. You tell us--apart from medicinal purposes--why should it be legalized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by medsif View Post
The question should ask is there any reasons why it should be illegal rather than is there any reasons why it should'nt be. There is no reason that it should not be legal for responsible people to use it.
To many people hold on to the old myths and lies that have been told to them. Most of who probaly never tried it or if they have they never had a need for it, however there are people that have a need for it and their receptors in their brains are more readily wired to take it in and thats hard for some people to understand when they get a different effect or a displeasing effect from it. Not every one can stand for sour kraut or spinach but some people love it and the same applies to canabis. Marijuana went illigal basicly because of a paper tycoon who helped to get the law passed so he and others would not have to compete with the hemp industry. Meanwhile today there are alot of sufferers of cronic pain and other ailments that can benefit greatly from using it. It is alot safer than anything in the world that you can take for whatever problem you are having and that includes asprin yes asprin is worse than many many days of marijuana smoking. One thing i have studied is how alot of ciggarette smokers will develope lung cancer and they have never smoked canabis while those who smoked cigarettes with canabis often never did. The media lies to you and everyone else when it mentions how bad and how many toxins are in the smoke. Marijuana was given by god Genesis 4:20 and he saw that it is good. My uncle has been a medical doctor for over 35 years and i belive in him when he says it can even help people with asthma conditions.The only reason it should not be made legal is because then it would most likely turn to crap and people would develop health problems from it if the government gets thier hands on it to do what they want to do with it.
LMAO If you believe that, then I have a bridge to sell you. Do you know how dangerous and ridiculous this claim is? Btw, did your medical doctor uncle of 35 years show you any MRIs or CTs of pot smoking patient's brains? If not, ask him to show you and ask him why the holes are there, decorative purposes? I don't care who smokes pot to tell you the truth. Some people are more pleasant with it than without. I just don't like the idea of legalizing everything that takes us one step closer to the gutter as a society just because some people think it's their innate right to live in a numb-me-please-I-can't-handle-life stupor.

Last edited by Whyte Byrd; 11-23-2008 at 03:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 05:42 AM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 8,718,680 times
Reputation: 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
It impairs natural motor function, reflexes and cognitive skills. All we need on top of drunk driving is a bunch of potheads driving around. Seems to me the burden to prove anything is on those wanting it legalized. You tell us--apart from medicinal purposes--why should it be legalized?
OK

1. It is a 38 billion dollar black market of which a fair amount of the proceeds go to gangsters, illegal immigrants, and hardend criminals. Legalization will kill this black market as the end of prohibition wiped out alcohol smuggling gangs.

2. It packs our prison system and parole system with non-violent offenders, which allows serious criminals earlier release dates and lax parole due to the volume of cases in the system.

3. The revenue raised from Marijuana sin taxes can help beleagured state governments balence their budget and fund additionial projects like new schools and roads.

4. Marijuana is not nearly as dangerous to personal health as tobacco and alcohol.

5. Marijuana use in cars can be put under the same catagory as any other DWI

6. Banning marijuana because of stupid people who smoke and drive is a form of collective punishment on all Marijuana users and collective punishments are not only foolish, but unreasonable as you are restricting someone's rights because of what someone else may do. It is exactly the same as saying this person shot someone lets ban all guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 05:48 AM
 
1,297 posts, read 3,050,745 times
Reputation: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
It impairs natural motor function, reflexes and cognitive skills. All we need on top of drunk driving is a bunch of potheads driving around. Seems to me the burden to prove anything is on those wanting it legalized. You tell us--apart from medicinal purposes--why should it be legalized?



LMAO If you believe that, then I have a bridge to sell you. Do you know how dangerous and ridiculous this claim is? Btw, did your medical doctor uncle of 35 years show you any MRIs or CTs of pot smoking patient's brains? If not, ask him to show you and ask him why the holes are there, decorative purposes? I don't care who smokes pot to tell you the truth. Some people are more pleasant with it than without. I just don't like the idea of legalizing everything that takes us one step closer to the gutter as a society just because some people think it's their innate right to live in a numb-me-please-I-can't-handle-life stupor.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 01:20 PM
 
2,751 posts, read 4,710,678 times
Reputation: 1767
Wait, what was the question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
2,868 posts, read 8,445,520 times
Reputation: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
It impairs natural motor function, reflexes and cognitive skills. All we need on top of drunk driving is a bunch of potheads driving around. Seems to me the burden to prove anything is on those wanting it legalized. You tell us--apart from medicinal purposes--why should it be legalized?



LMAO If you believe that, then I have a bridge to sell you. Do you know how dangerous and ridiculous this claim is? Btw, did your medical doctor uncle of 35 years show you any MRIs or CTs of pot smoking patient's brains? If not, ask him to show you and ask him why the holes are there, decorative purposes? I don't care who smokes pot to tell you the truth. Some people are more pleasant with it than without. I just don't like the idea of legalizing everything that takes us one step closer to the gutter as a society just because some people think it's their innate right to live in a numb-me-please-I-can't-handle-life stupor.


I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 PM
 
Location: West Texas
2,441 posts, read 5,246,318 times
Reputation: 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Marijuana is not nearly as dangerous to personal health as tobacco and alcohol.
This isn't entirely true. The below information is based on chronic users and laboratory studies included in the upper-level book used by the class of the same name:

"A marijuana joint (when compared with a tobacco cigarette) typically contains about the same levels of tars, 50 percent more hydrocarbons, and an uknown amount of contaminants."

"As a result, symptoms of asthma and other breathing difficulties are increased.

"All things considered, on a statistical basis, you can think of one joint as being equivalent to five cigarettes in terms of carbon monoxide intake and four cigarettes in terms of tar intake."

Source: Drugs, Society, and Criminal Justice (2nd Ed.), Chapter 7, Charles F. Levinthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Banning marijuana because of stupid people who smoke and drive is a form of collective punishment on all Marijuana users and collective punishments are not only foolish, but unreasonable as you are restricting someone's rights because of what someone else may do. It is exactly the same as saying this person shot someone lets ban all guns.
20,000-30,000 people die to alcohol-related impaired traffic accidents. Legalizing marijuana could, potentially, double those numbers. If you realize how many people smoke now and could increase their intake based on legalization. In addition, there are those that don't smoke marijuana now solely because it's illegal. There will be an unknown number that start smoking it again (or start for the first time) because it's now legal.

The statements aren't saying everyone who smokes pot is irresponsible. Just like everyone who drinks isn't irresponsible. But, based on the fact that they are both drugs, if both are legal, the numbers should be statistically comparable. That means that we can effectively increase the impaired accident-death numbers to even a conservative number of 40,000-50,000 deaths per year.

You go right on quoting how much money will be saved... right up until a loved one you know dies on the roads. Me... I think lives are more important than the money saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 12:07 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,845,510 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
It impairs natural motor function, reflexes and cognitive skills. All we need on top of drunk driving is a bunch of potheads driving around. Seems to me the burden to prove anything is on those wanting it legalized. You tell us--apart from medicinal purposes--why should it be legalized?



LMAO If you believe that, then I have a bridge to sell you. Do you know how dangerous and ridiculous this claim is? Btw, did your medical doctor uncle of 35 years show you any MRIs or CTs of pot smoking patient's brains? If not, ask him to show you and ask him why the holes are there, decorative purposes? I don't care who smokes pot to tell you the truth. Some people are more pleasant with it than without. I just don't like the idea of legalizing everything that takes us one step closer to the gutter as a society just because some people think it's their innate right to live in a numb-me-please-I-can't-handle-life stupor.
Thank you for showing the very ignorance the person was trying to convey. People like you are the reason it's illegal. That's it. The health effects of marijuana are less devastating than the food we eat, the air we breathe in Southern California, the UV light of the sun, etc. Just because you think potheads are all stupid people trying to numb life, doesn't make it so. I know potheads who are incredibly accomplished people that smoke because they enjoy it or because it helps them with some kind of medical issue.

Pot smokers are NOT the gutter of society, but people like you are. People who force others to adhere to their puritan beliefs because they believe in false propaganda are the true gutter of society. Without people like you, this country would be a better place, spending less money on stupid laws and using the police to stop actual crime. Maybe if pot were legalized our violent crime rate would be close to the Netherlands...but sadly, we have 4x the violent crime of the nation most famous for legal pot. Hmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 12:37 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,845,510 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
This isn't entirely true. The below information is based on chronic users and laboratory studies included in the upper-level book used by the class of the same name:

"A marijuana joint (when compared with a tobacco cigarette) typically contains about the same levels of tars, 50 percent more hydrocarbons, and an uknown amount of contaminants."

"As a result, symptoms of asthma and other breathing difficulties are increased.

"All things considered, on a statistical basis, you can think of one joint as being equivalent to five cigarettes in terms of carbon monoxide intake and four cigarettes in terms of tar intake."

Source: Drugs, Society, and Criminal Justice (2nd Ed.), Chapter 7, Charles F. Levinthal



20,000-30,000 people die to alcohol-related impaired traffic accidents. Legalizing marijuana could, potentially, double those numbers. If you realize how many people smoke now and could increase their intake based on legalization. In addition, there are those that don't smoke marijuana now solely because it's illegal. There will be an unknown number that start smoking it again (or start for the first time) because it's now legal.

The statements aren't saying everyone who smokes pot is irresponsible. Just like everyone who drinks isn't irresponsible. But, based on the fact that they are both drugs, if both are legal, the numbers should be statistically comparable. That means that we can effectively increase the impaired accident-death numbers to even a conservative number of 40,000-50,000 deaths per year.

You go right on quoting how much money will be saved... right up until a loved one you know dies on the roads. Me... I think lives are more important than the money saved.
No, this argument is from the DEA, who use BS propaganda and ignore all scientific studies. First of all, the number of DUIs from Marijuana wont increase because people already smoke and drive. Drinking and driving is NOT legal, and yet there are that many deaths. Marijuana does NOT have the same effects on driving that Alcohol, Text Messaging or even talking to a passenger have, so forget that BS propaganda.

The "one marijuana joint" theory believes that one joint is made up of a very large quantity of marijuana and also does not take into account that someone who smokes marijuana wont smoke nearly as much as someone who is a cigarette smoker. A cigarette smoker will smoke one an hour for 16 hours in most cases, that's equivalent to 3-4 joints. Nobody who smokes 3-4 joints a day is someone who cares about their health or much else. That's a lot of smoking to do.

And even if it does harm ones health, so what? We allow people to get fat, lazy and stressed out, all three are things far more deadly than smoking some joints.

Your arguments are like the scare tactics used to promote the Vietnam war. You say that letting Marijuana win will lead to the downfall of society and all kinds of new accidents on the road (without realizing that many people already smoke and drive without incident...that being high while driving causes most smokers to pay extra attention to the road) but you don't realize that you're just falling prey to the anti-pot propaganda you've been hypnotized into believing. Just like when Saigon fell, when the laws fall on Marijuana (if ever), nothing will happen except the savings of millions in combat funding. Is the world Communist now that we pulled out of Vietnam? No...so why listen to the same idiots tell you that Marijuana Prohibition is somehow the only barrier between society and anarchy?

Alcohol prohibition proved to us that making something illegal when people clearly want it will only increase the profits and dangers from that substance. Gangs will grow in power and the profits from that substance will skyrocket. Rising profits lead to violent gangs taking control and the resulting crime. Legalization leads to the break up of those gangs, the increase in tax revenue, and the economic growth and expansion of metropolises like Denver, Milwaukee and St. Louis.

Keeping it illegal is one of the dumbest domestic policies this country has ever had. Marijuana is one of the top 5 cash crops in the US, being more significant to the economy than Apples, Oranges, Grapes, Tomatoes, Avocados, potatoes, and many other crops we consider to be important to our economy. In this time of economic crisis, it would take a complete idiot to think that we should eliminate one of our most lucrative crops from the economy, but that's exactly what we're doing with marijuana. Even if you are against people smoking pot (and even if it's for the moronic "Reefer Madness" reasons like 'it'll make you stupid', 'crazy' or 'a dangerous driver') keeping it illegal actually hurts you more than it helps.

If you are a logical person with any knowledge of history, you can't be for prohibition because prohibition simply doesn't work. If making pot illegal were so great, how come so many people smoke it? If it's so dangerous, how come The Netherlands is 4x as safe of a country than the US?

The difference between the pro-prohibition and the anti-prohibition is that the pro-side uses wild claims and exaggerations, the anti-side uses facts and history. Even in the 1930s, these wild claims by the predecessor to the DEA were refuted by the NYC Mayor Fiorelo La Guardia . But stupid people keep on believing the propaganda and not the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 12:49 PM
 
Location: CA
2,464 posts, read 5,686,944 times
Reputation: 2587
#1 reason not to legalize pot: It makes people l-a-z-y. Other than that, IMO it should be legalized 100% and treated like any other product... tax the heck out of it. I don't see it being any worse than alcohol (to me it's better - you don't see stoners who want to fight). I have encountered more white collar, professional, educated pot smokers who just want a toke after a long hard stressful day. They aren't "loser" or anything like that. You'd be surprised of all the closet pot heads out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top