Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

What do you mean by Radical in the context of the 'movement'

Lay it out on the table - what is the agenda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I'm gay, in a gay marriage and live in one of the largest gay neighbourhoods in the world and to this day I still have no clue what the 'homosexual' movement is or what the homosexual 'lifestyle' is. I'm a homosexual who happens to have a lifestyle that is a different 'lifestyle' to many of my gay counterparts. It's as ridiculous to use the terms gay lifestyle and gay movement as it would be to use the term straight lifestyle and straight movement...

There is a radical homosexual agenda and a radical homosexual segment existing whether you happen to agree or not. And, no, I am NOT saying that all, or even the majority, of homosexuals are linked to it. But it wields power out of proportion to its size.

Utter and complete mischaracterization of history.

Oh, so now you are denying that this stuff ever happened? I grew up and lived through hearing and seeing a lot of this except the part of our founding fathers. What, was it all a dream?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post

Utter and complete mischaracterization of history.

Oh, so now you are denying that this stuff ever happened? I grew up and lived through hearing and seeing a lot of this except the part of our founding fathers. What, was it all a dream?
No, I'm saying that your version of history, your interpretation of past events is quite distorted. Do not presume to put words in my mouth.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times
At one point in time, people were all up in arms over books/tv shows for young kids that presented some families as bi-racial or step-families or single divorced mothers, etc. Sorry, but these people exist and your kid is going to find out about them one way or another. Your kid will be just fine knowing there are gay people in the world and some who are even (gasp!) married. This is not about a sexual lifestyle, it's about people and families that exist who your child is going to have to interact through life with in one way or another. Whether you like it or not, your kid is going to figure out that gay people exist!! Would you rather that be through a well thought out book or through stories from other kids on the playground? Some of the most perverse things I've ever heard were told to me on the playground and public school bus.

Last edited by soanchorless; 03-20-2013 at 08:18 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
As far as gays, there is no way you know you are 'gay' in kindergarten, if you even accept that premise you are a moron. Gay lifestyle is unacceptable to promote in schools, sexual anything is off-limits to the school and up to the child/parents to promote if they find it acceptable in their household.

If I came home to anything with two men or women, or something promoting homosexual culture on my kids schoolwork or homework it would the wrath of Zeus on the principal, sup, board and lawyers.

Damn right!! And that goes for hetero sexuality as well! Let's burn all books with a mommy and a daddy. No more Bobbsey Twins! Sexual anything is off limits! You have a hamster in class? It had better be castrated! You don't want kids getting it into their heads that testicles exist....they might get ideas!

(People like you scare me)

Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbugme View Post
I dont hate gays. I really didn't want this to become a bashing post.

I am a Christian and I don't agree w/ the lifestyle but I don't hate gays. I've been friends with gay people.

In fact, I know it's not a choice to have same-sex attraction. (I've worked with kids who were gay.) To me, its a sin to act out on it, and make the lifestyle choice to act out on it. I know of several CHristians who have unwanted same sex attraction. And I do support programs such as "Love Won Out"

Okay, let's get back to the subject.

How do you feel on the matter?
Oh give me a break. For the vast majority of gay people, being gay is not a lifestyle. It is the way they were born. There has been some science done in this area. You believe it is wrong to "act out on it," meaning you acknowledge that some people are attracted to others of the same sex, but they should deny themselves the same right to form sexual bonds and family units that you want for yourself. How is that Christian?

Would you want to live a lie, just to please the people around you who might be offended or whose religious sensibilities might be outraged?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 AM

945 posts, read 968,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
At one point in time, people were all up in arms over books/tv shows for young kids that presented some families as bi-racial or step-families or single divorced mothers, etc. Sorry, but these people exist and your kid is going to find out about them one way or another. Your kid will be just fine knowing there are gay people in the world and some who are even (gasp!) married. This is not about a sexual lifestyle, it's about people and families that exist who your child is going to have to interact through life with in one way or another. Whether you like it or not, your kid is going to figure out that gay people exist!! Would you rather that be through a well thought out book or through stories from other kids on the playground? Some of the most perverse things I've ever heard were told to me on the playground and public school bus.

Nobody is saying to deny that they exist. Most people understand the sexual maturity of children isn't even there at kindergarten and choosing when to introduce the sexual affinity of different people in society is up to the parent not the school.

Marriage has been hijacked, I still do quite understand why gays want to married (which is something traditionally done by the church as it is a religious union that gays officially cannot enter in because its expressly condemned by the church and also to boot the new Pope Francis.) instead of just being BF/BF or GF/GF and live your lives. The government can easily offer a secular option to the gays that will satisfy both sides and not punish them financial/taxes.

It shows that they want to cripple the traditional family, blur the line between 2000+ years of tradition and forever change the time tested, and biologically-correct family make-up.

Further more, you don't have to accept the flavor of the month cultural norms that are hip and fashionable. The beauty of America is that you can raise your kids as pro-gay or anti-gay as you want, and you are constitutionally protected.

Teach children math, science, english, etc and let the family set the time table on sexual relationships and the complexity of society in 2013.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:53 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
It shows that they want to cripple the traditional family, blur the line between 2000+ years of tradition and forever change the time tested, and biologically-correct family make-up.
No, not really cripple the traditional family, but to extend the definition as what becomes a family. To say "cripple" means there is some sort of agenda to oppose or target hetrosexual families or somehow make having a family more difficult or less-desirable, which isn't the case.

That said, the gay rights movement is, indeed, pretty radical and revolutionary as its something that's not been seen before. Not that its a bad thing, but it is looking for something new and somewhat unprecdented in human relationships.

Note this is not a value judgement, but an observation of the movement

@@@@

Also this thread dates back to 2008? Another long-running online discussion.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
It's a big leap from "be included in" to "cripple," and one there is no evidence for.

Quote:
Further more, you don't have to accept the flavor of the month cultural norms that are hip and fashionable. The beauty of America is that you can raise your kids as pro-gay or anti-gay as you want, and you are constitutionally protected.
Even further, the "flavor of the month" cultural norms that people do not have to accept include the one you espouse.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 AM

945 posts, read 968,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
It's a big leap from "be included in" to "cripple," and one there is no evidence for.

Even further, the "flavor of the month" cultural norms that people do not have to accept include the one you espouse.

Well, flavor of the month indicates something has been popular/trendy/accepted for a brief period of time. I would say heterosexual or aka traditional family structure is not flavor of the month because it has been the prevailing tradition since the dawn of man. It is simply right and proper because it is the only way to conceive a child from a biological standpoint and homosexuality simply cannot exist on its own while heterosexuality is the engine of life on this planet for all form of animals.

If you come from a religious background (Jewish/Muslim/Christian especially) you are taught that homosexuality is not on the same level as a M/W relationship. Now we have two huge, long-time influences directly condemning in their own ways the homosexual family/lifestyle.

Fast-forward to some time in the late 1900's and we have a the government override and make an agenda out of the convenient population of homosexual for political gain, and proceed to force the current generation to accept homosexuality or else. Now, rewriting longstanding precedent is not always a bad thing, but I think in this case it is simply "flavor of the month". To teach this in schools is something I would hope would be left to the parents to leverage how they choose.

Just remember, next it might be little Bobby wants to marry his dog or animals. Or have multiple wives, or have a pet rock husband, the slope is slippery regardless of what people say. Tradition is tradition by its definition because of the longstanding history and mother nature intentions.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Well, flavor of the month indicates something has been popular/trendy/accepted for a brief period of time. I would say heterosexual or aka traditional family structure is not flavor of the month because it has been the prevailing tradition since the dawn of man. It is simply right and proper because it is the only way to conceive a child from a biological standpoint and homosexuality simply cannot exist on its own while heterosexuality is the engine of life on this planet for all form of animals.

If you come from a religious background (Jewish/Muslim/Christian especially) you are taught that homosexuality is not on the same level as a M/W relationship. Now we have two huge, long-time influences directly condemning in their own ways the homosexual family/lifestyle.

Fast-forward to some time in the late 1900's and we have a the government override and make an agenda out of the convenient population of homosexual for political gain, and proceed to force the current generation to accept homosexuality or else. Now, rewriting longstanding precedent is not always a bad thing, but I think in this case it is simply "flavor of the month". To teach this in schools is something I would hope would be left to the parents to leverage how they choose.

Just remember, next it might be little Bobby wants to marry his dog or animals. Or have multiple wives, or have a pet rock husband, the slope is slippery regardless of what people say. Tradition is tradition by its definition because of the longstanding history and mother nature intentions.
"while heterosexuality is the engine of life on this planet for all form of animals."

Not True. See the following as one example.

Asexual reproduction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asexual reproduction is a mode of reproduction by which offspring arise from a single parent, and inherit the genes of that parent only; it is reproduction which does not involve meiosis, ploidy reduction, or fertilization. The offspring will be exact genetic copies of the parent. A more stringent definition is agamogenesis which is reproduction without the fusion of gametes. Asexual reproduction is the primary form of reproduction for single-celled organisms such as the archaea, bacteria, and protists. Many plants and fungi reproduce asexually as well.

"If you come from a religious background (Jewish/Muslim/Christian especially) you are taught that homosexuality is not on the same level as a M/W relationship."

Not True.

There are religious groups that treat same gender couples on the same level as "
a M/W relationship."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates