Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
You can be a dyck to whoever you want, it is America. I can also be repulsed at anything I'd like. That is also my right.

The thought of homosexual copulation is repulsive to me, right or wrong in your eyes. The problem is I am forced to pay for public schools. The answer lies in the choice of schools, if I have to send my kids to public schools (you don't have to, but then you pay twice private school + property taxes) then I shouldn't have be forced feed my kids alternative lifestyles.

Give me a voucher, send your kids to places you approve of. What is next? Forcing Catholic schools that explicitly condemn homosexual lifestyle to learn about against their own religious beliefs?
So the non-Christian kids in public school have the right to be a dyck to Christian kids because this is America? Good to know.

And I don't like public schools. I homeschool. And still pay property taxes. Even if my child went to public school, I'm confident enough in my parenting and my relationship with my child to believe my values will influence him more than a 30 minute lesson.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 AM

945 posts, read 968,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
it doesn't in the slightest.....

they just don't want to deal with or think about the "ick factor" and believe that it should be forever kept hidden away...... because after all, if they can't see it, it doesn't exist, right??

No one said people deny it exists. This was a debate over public school's role in promoting alternative lifestyles.

The ick factor? That is cute, but partially valid. I don't want to think about it, it personally is something that repulses me (the copulation). Out of sight out of mind, of course - Much more pleasant. Can we address the elephant in the room please? If you want to actually define homosexuality, it is the sexual attraction to the same sex. That is what is major difference between the hetero/homo lifestyle and families.

So, to some extent you are right. Keep it away, the less I have to see something I don't like the better. The reason we gravitate towards things that induce positive emotions/reactions/thoughts is the same reason we avoid do the opposite for unpleasant things.

If I don't something, I don't indulge. If I do, I do. It is pretty basic....

Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM

127 posts, read 142,959 times
I think everyone's sex life is their own business. Why are we discussing any kind of sexual lifestyle with 5-year-olds? Let's teach them how to read and tie their shoes instead.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM

945 posts, read 968,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
So the non-Christian kids in public school have the right to be a dyck to Christian kids because this is America? Good to know.

And I don't like public schools. I homeschool. And still pay property taxes. Even if my child went to public school, I'm confident enough in my parenting and my relationship with my child to believe my values will influence him more than a 30 minute lesson.

In short, yes. If some child making fun of your religious beliefs is the watershed moment in your life questioning your religion then you are in for a brutal life. We made fun of kids for everything and got made fun of for everything. Whether I had a pimp on my nose one day or wore a corny outfit. We clowned on people for dating some girl, or this or that.

You shouldn't have to pay the schooling portion of property taxes if you go private or homeschool. I completely agree with you, and while I would love to homeschool when I have kids, I highly doubt I could accept the lifestyle impact not working my FT job would be.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but property taxes are probably the single most unfair tax system in this entire country. Don't even get me started...

Old 03-25-2013, 11:42 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
I never said anything Rob and Pat down the street. The post clearly has this topic.

"Teaching kids its okay to be gay in schools / reading stories about gays in kindergarter?"

Appreciate the attempt to hijack the thread for your own comfort.
Lol! Hijack the thread? It's about kids being exposed to the concept that some families have two daddies! I'm not talking about basketball or dish soap or global warming.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
The thought of homosexual copulation is repulsive to me, right or wrong in your eyes. The problem is I am forced to pay for public schools
The thought of two whale-sized people copulating is repulsive to ME. I think we should discriminate against little children with morbidly obese parents.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
No one said people deny it exists. This was a debate over public school's role in promoting alternative lifestyles.

The ick factor? That is cute, but partially valid. I don't want to think about it, it personally is something that repulses me (the copulation). Out of sight out of mind, of course - Much more pleasant. Can we address the elephant in the room please? If you want to actually define homosexuality, it is the sexual attraction to the same sex. That is what is major difference between the hetero/homo lifestyle and families.

So, to some extent you are right. Keep it away, the less I have to see something I don't like the better. The reason we gravitate towards things that induce positive emotions/reactions/thoughts is the same reason we avoid do the opposite for unpleasant things.

If I don't something, I don't indulge. If I do, I do. It is pretty basic....
Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand how reading stories about different family configurations promotes alternative lifestyles..... what about single parent families.... should they be concealed, too?? or children being raised by aunts, uncles, grandparents or even older siblings?? if we don't discuss them, do they not exist?? is the only acceptable family configuration for children to know about and be ok with the original mommy and original daddy and full children configuration?? no step-siblings, no half-siblings, because after all, isn't that an alternative lifestyle to the only one that produces genuine offspring??

if you don't want to think about the ick factor, why did you start the other thread and why are you so active in this one.... unless it is to PROMOTE your homophobia.....

Old 03-25-2013, 12:17 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Part of the problem however with what is or isn't being taught in Public Schools is that even kindergarten curriculum about a new girl in class with a pet iguana gets reported as an attempt to teach gay sex to kindergarteners.

What exactly does this story say that people would perceive it as attempting to teach same sex?
I don't know, but that doesn't stop the reporting.

A California school district has approved a mandatory homosexual curriculum for children as young as 5 – and parents will not be allowed to remove their children from the lessons.
Read more at Mandatory ‘gay’ day for K-5 students

Old 03-25-2013, 12:40 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I don't know, but that doesn't stop the reporting.

A California school district has approved a mandatory homosexual curriculum for children as young as 5 – and parents will not be allowed to remove their children from the lessons.
Read more at Mandatory ‘gay’ day for K-5 students

How is this promoting homosexuality??

“We are not telling anyone what to think,” Jensen said. “We are letting children know that gay people exist and they deserve to be treated with respect, regardless of whether or not you believe that homosexuality is acceptable
Read more at
http://www.wnd.com/2009/05/99442/#mHIuLHLRo544XiT0.99

Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 PM

Don't you know that kids reading about African-Americans will immediately turn black? Kids reading about Carmen Sandiego will immediately become hispanic, and kids reading about homosexuals will immediately turn gay.
It's common knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates