Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 10:19 AM

945 posts, read 968,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
"while heterosexuality is the engine of life on this planet for all form of animals."

Not True. See the following as one example.

Asexual reproduction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asexual reproduction is a mode of reproduction by which offspring arise from a single parent, and inherit the genes of that parent only; it is reproduction which does not involve meiosis, ploidy reduction, or fertilization. The offspring will be exact genetic copies of the parent. A more stringent definition is agamogenesis which is reproduction without the fusion of gametes. Asexual reproduction is the primary form of reproduction for single-celled organisms such as the archaea, bacteria, and protists. Many plants and fungi reproduce asexually as well.

"If you come from a religious background (Jewish/Muslim/Christian especially) you are taught that homosexuality is not on the same level as a M/W relationship."

Not True.

There are religious groups that treat same gender couples on the same level as "
a M/W relationship."
Futile attempt to rebuke the claim, but I will indulge. While you are correct, the single-celled organism are far too primal for apples to apples comparison. I was sticking to complex, warm-blooded animals. You know the stuff we have like 90%+ of DNA matches with. Then you cite plants at the end, which isn't even in the same kingdom as animals.

I'd love to know which mainstream religions champion and treat equally. Care to share which religion does this?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Nice!

Funny thing is I had kids calling me gay in school before my parents ever broached the subject or was taught anything 'gay' in school or elsewhere.

I always felt a bit 'different' but as a child couldn't put my finger on it until closer to puberty. I guess all the mommy and daddy books or Bobbsey twins didn't work lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Damn right!! And that goes for hetero sexuality as well! Let's burn all books with a mommy and a daddy. No more Bobbsey Twins! Sexual anything is off limits! You have a hamster in class? It had better be castrated! You don't want kids getting it into their heads that testicles exist....they might get ideas!

(People like you scare me)

Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Oh give me a break. For the vast majority of gay people, being gay is not a lifestyle. It is the way they were born. There has been some science done in this area. You believe it is wrong to "act out on it," meaning you acknowledge that some people are attracted to others of the same sex, but they should deny themselves the same right to form sexual bonds and family units that you want for yourself. How is that Christian?

Would you want to live a lie, just to please the people around you who might be offended or whose religious sensibilities might be outraged?
I've said it 10000x times, I don't care if gays are sexual with each other. I don't care what you do at your own home or privacy.

I simply said alternative lifestyles should not be taught in public schools, at a young age and without parental consent. I think stating a fact about hamsters reproduction is more of a discussion on reproduction than sexual emotional relationships, I was able to see the difference between the act of mating to reproduce and mating for emotional and physical sensation.

You do realize that true religious followers deeply repulse homosexual activity and probably don't want their kids exposed to it outside of their terms? I am not religious but its common knowledge and something that is better left out and relied upon the parents. (For the record I am not religious or ascribe to these beliefs, but playing devils advocate.)

Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Futile attempt to rebuke the claim, but I will indulge. While you are correct, the single-celled organism are far too primal for apples to apples comparison. I was sticking to complex, warm-blooded animals. You know the stuff we have like 90%+ of DNA matches with. Then you cite plants at the end, which isn't even in the same kingdom as animals.

I'd love to know which mainstream religions champion and treat equally. Care to share which religion does this?
Because same gender couples and their families are deserving of equal treatment as "M/W" couples and their families the United Church of Christ Synod passed the following resolution.

http://www.ucc.org/assets/pdfs/in-su...background.pdf

WHEREAS the Bible affirms and celebrates human expressions of love and partnership, calling
us to live out fully that gift of God in responsible, faithful, committed relationships that
recognize and respect the image of God in all people; and
WHEREAS many UCC pastors and congregations have held commitment services for gay and
lesbian couples for some time, consistent with the call to loving, long-term committed
relationships and to nurture family life; and
WHEREAS children of families headed by same-gender couples should receive all legal rights
and protections; and
WHEREAS equal marriage rights for couples regardless of gender is an issue deserving of
serious, faithful discussion by people of faith, taking into consideration the long, complex
history of marriage and family life, layered as it is with cultural practices, economic realities,
political dynamics, religious history and biblical interpretation; and

WHEREAS the Tenth General Synod pronounced that all person are entitled to full civil
liberties and equal protection under the law without discrimination related to sexual
preference; and

WHEREAS the Eleventh General Synod urged that States should legislatively recognize that
traditional marriage is not the only stable living unit entitled to legal protection; and

WHEREAS the Nineteenth General Synod called on the church for greater leadership to end
discrimination against gays and lesbians;
THEREFORE LET IT BE RESOLVED, that the Twenty-fifth General Synod of the United Church
of Christ affirms equal marriage rights for couples regardless of gender and declares that the
government should not interfere with couples regardless of gender who choose to marry and
share fully and equally in the rights, responsibilities and commitment of legally recognized
marriage; and

LET IT BE FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Twenty-fifth General Synod of the United Church of
Christ affirms equal access to the basic rights, institutional protections and quality of life
conferred by the recognition of marriage;

Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Because same gender couples and their families are deserving of equal treatment as "M/W" couples and their families the United Church of Christ Synod passed the following resolution.

http://www.ucc.org/assets/pdfs/in-su...background.pdf

WHEREAS the Bible affirms and celebrates human expressions of love and partnership, calling
us to live out fully that gift of God in responsible, faithful, committed relationships that
recognize and respect the image of God in all people; and
WHEREAS many UCC pastors and congregations have held commitment services for gay and
lesbian couples for some time, consistent with the call to loving, long-term committed
relationships and to nurture family life; and
WHEREAS children of families headed by same-gender couples should receive all legal rights
and protections; and
WHEREAS equal marriage rights for couples regardless of gender is an issue deserving of
serious, faithful discussion by people of faith, taking into consideration the long, complex
history of marriage and family life, layered as it is with cultural practices, economic realities,
political dynamics, religious history and biblical interpretation; and

WHEREAS the Tenth General Synod pronounced that all person are entitled to full civil
liberties and equal protection under the law without discrimination related to sexual
preference; and

WHEREAS the Eleventh General Synod urged that States should legislatively recognize that
traditional marriage is not the only stable living unit entitled to legal protection; and

WHEREAS the Nineteenth General Synod called on the church for greater leadership to end
discrimination against gays and lesbians;
THEREFORE LET IT BE RESOLVED, that the Twenty-fifth General Synod of the United Church
of Christ affirms equal marriage rights for couples regardless of gender and declares that the
government should not interfere with couples regardless of gender who choose to marry and
share fully and equally in the rights, responsibilities and commitment of legally recognized
marriage; and

LET IT BE FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Twenty-fifth General Synod of the United Church of
Christ affirms equal access to the basic rights, institutional protections and quality of life
conferred by the recognition of marriage;

Those are all from the same left-leaning sect of reformed protestants. That is hardly a swathe of religions. More so, I heard Pope Francis basically immediately condemn the culture of homosexuality and he is the biggest religious figurehead not only in history (the papacy itself) but the biggest and most powerful still in 2013.

So, I am going to safely say that in 2013 the vast majority of religions condemn the practice of homosexuality. They may live with it in society, but they certainly don't accept or promote it, and last time I checked they encompass the majority of the earths inhabitants.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
^
...which is a good argument for gay rights laws and teaching tolerance (at a minimum) in school. As a counteraction to the negative influence of religion in re this issue.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
...which is a good argument for gay rights laws and teaching tolerance (at a minimum) in school. As a counteraction to the negative influence of religion in re this issue.

What you believe is negative influence others believe is positive. There is no room for the public school teachers (who are notoriously one sided) to interject their brand of tolerance or whatever else you would call it.

Why should gays have rights? Do singles have rights? Single people are punished on the same level by the IRS as gays yet we have accepted it for a long long time.

There hospital issue should be clarified, if you want a complete stranger, your wife, or you gay lover to be by you bedside, then that should be fine. I've never understood the hospitals blocking that.

Gays, straights and singles should be equally treated on taxation. Same with asexual people, bestial and transsexual.

Other than that, there is no need for "gay rights" that is just furthering the segregation and playing into the hoopla.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM

By "rights" i mean anti-discrimination protections.

As you note organzied religion is the one major insitutution in society promoting negativity, or negative attitudes, which can permeate the culture. Hence a generalized hostile or negative POV towards gays which could make discrimination more likely.

Which is why Im coming around to seeing gay rights laws as being still needed as long as religions teach that being gay is wrong or a sin.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
By "rights" i mean anti-discrimination protections.

As you note organzied religion is the one major insitutution in society promoting negativity, or negative attitudes, which can permeate the culture. Hence a generalized hostile or negative POV towards gays which could make discrimination more likely.

Which is why Im coming around to seeing gay rights laws as being still needed as long as religions teach that being gay is wrong or a sin.
dis·crim·i·nate

/disˈkriməˌnāt/
Verb
  • Recognize a distinction; differentiate.
  • Perceive or constitute the difference in or between.

Hasn't discriminate been hijacked? There is by definition a difference between hetero and homosexual? Can't we apply the english language in it literally meaning?

There is a difference, a heterosexual male for example is differentiated because they engage in heterosexual copulation and can biological create a child with his mate. A heterosexual man prefers copulating with another man, and cannot create a child with his mate. Am I not understanding why wouldn't literally "discriminate" or show the difference in the two lifestyles?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:25 PM

I think most posters understand my post without resorting to a dictionary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates