Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times

Advertisements

Speaking for myself I can not understand how a father could feel that way about his own child, thats sure not a natural feeling to have and no way could I ever condone such behaivour.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:39 PM

175 posts, read 741,440 times
I think that the whole parent/child concept is just sick. It also makes me wonder if it truly began after the age of 18.

In cases of siblings, cousins, etc, I'd have to say it doesn't matter as long as there are no offspring. But the parent/child thing bugs me - probably because I know too many people who were abused as children and that keeps sticking in my mind.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:48 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
I think that the whole parent/child concept is just sick. It also makes me wonder if it truly began after the age of 18.

In cases of siblings, cousins, etc, I'd have to say it doesn't matter as long as there are no offspring. But the parent/child thing bugs me - probably because I know too many people who were abused as children and that keeps sticking in my mind.
Exactly my view.

As far as the parent/child, what if it began suddenly on the child's 18th birthday? I don't see how that changes anything or even if it began when the child was 25, 30, 40, etc. There is ALWAYS a power difference. The fact that the parent controlled the child for 18 years makes the relationship extremely unequal permanently.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The countries specifically who do not prosecute incest in Europe are Spain, France and Portugal. Romania is, evidently going to take the same tact.

My question, with this thread is, should the United States continue to prosecute incest between consenting adults or, should we consider following the lead of these nations and drop such prosecutions?

And, I did not say my wife (as a Physican) condones or condemns. Like I noted before, that is not the Doctors job.
if i were married to you and you were on CDF discussing my caseload i would divorce you so fast you would get whiplash.
france has a very negative view of incest parent/child whether adult child or not, i am in a very good position to say this.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if i were married to you and you were on CDF discussing my caseload i would divorce you so fast you would get whiplash.france has a very negative view of incest parent/child whether adult child or not, i am in a very good position to say this.
The issue is - should we, as a nation, Criminally Prosecute incest cases involving consenting adults.

And, you are not married to me - and my wife knows I am mentioning this case - and in such broad terms that it violations no rules, regs, ethics etc.

And, I'm in a very good position to say this.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Speaking for myself I can not understand how a father could feel that way about his own child, thats sure not a natural feeling to have and no way could I ever condone such behaivour.
And, I can appreciate your feelings. But, that is not the question posed here:

The question posed is, should we, as a nation, criminally prosecute incest involving CONSENTING ADULTS?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:23 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
And, I can appreciate your feelings. But, that is not the question posed here:

The question posed is, should we, as a nation, criminally prosecute incest involving CONSENTING ADULTS?
If it is against the law, it doesn't matter that they are consenting adults. We prosecute whoever carries out assisted suicide, and that is between consenting adults. What is the difference?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
The issue is - should we, as a nation, Criminally Prosecute incest cases involving consenting adults.

And, you are not married to me - and my wife knows I am mentioning this case - and in such broad terms that it violations no rules, regs, ethics etc.

And, I'm in a very good position to say this.
if backpeddling is a good position , i agree.
i do not believe a medical professional is supporting your advocate post for legalizing incest.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
If it is against the law, it doesn't matter that they are consenting adults. We prosecute whoever carries out assisted suicide, and that is between consenting adults. What is the difference?
Well for one thing - it's murder with the assisted suicide.

As for incest - it's, well - SEX.

Don't know about you but, I see a BIG difference.

The question still is there: Should we Criminally Prosecute consenting adults for incest - for, HAVING SEX?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if backpeddling is a good position , i agree.
i do not believe a medical professional is supporting your advocate post for legalizing incest.
No backpedaling whatsoever.

And, I did not say anything about "legalizing" incest - did I? Let me help - no, I did not.

I asked, and will ask once more, should we continue to CRIMINALLY PROSECUTE consenting adults for incest - for having sex?

And, I will politely ask you not to try to mischaracterize / misrepresent what I have said. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates