Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:55 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
It's none of the Pope's business what I choose to put on a hamburger or polish sausage.
Whether you're talking about hamburger, kielbasa, or even pepperoni, there's one small (or large, if that's how things go ) item to contend with: the Pope is not a political leader; he's a religious leader. And only for one specific religion. If you don't happen to follow that religion, then obviously you can take or leave his comments as you see fit. The thing that bothers me is the way the Pope makes pronouncements as though everyone within earshot of his voice is automatically bound by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 08:48 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Well he is a "self described liberal" that may be the reason sources were not included.

Seriously though, this was an interview and not something that I would expect him to quote specific data sources. I'm sure if someone wanted to they could get that.

He is far more knowledgeable that any of us so I thought his take on it would be worth making available to this discussion. You can chose to ignore it if you wish but it doesn't change this experts view of the facts.
I beg to differ. He does not clarify up front what his religious viewpoints are and they are very relevant when one is taking this article into consideration. He also does not offer anything other than anecdotal evidence that the Pope is correct. This is exactly why I went looking for both his qualifications AND the studies he cryptically refers to. NEITHER of which was particularly forthcoming. On the basis of that alone it is very easy for me to dismiss most of what he has to say REGARDLESS of who employs him now because he obviously is giving his personal opinion and that is biased.

If he wants to be considered an imminent expert on this issue then siting his qualifications AND the research he is basing his opinions on is very relevant in terms of peer review and in order for people to make informed decisions about what he has to say. He's done none of that AND lowly little me with the brain of a goldfish managed to work it out so perhaps he's not as knowledgable or as much of an expert as you seem to be thinking he is?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:25 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post

I'm sorry. You were telling me how sex within marriage won't reduce AIDS? Or were just taking shots at the Catholic Church?
Hahaha, these days it's very easy to take shots at the catholic church. All their pomp is plummeting. I believe the everyday churchgoers are sincere in their convictions (as misled as they may be), but anybody from the priest on up to the pope can jump off a bridge.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:39 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,531,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'm not condeming the pope for "speaking the truth" (because I don't think he is "speaking the truth") but I am a little tired of him capitalizing on an already existing problem for his own ridiculous moral ends.

Fact is successive health programs have failed to get the safe sex message adopted by the African population for decades. It seems more than just a little sinister to me that the Pope has decided he'll wade in with this ridiculously pious message in an attempt to do what exactly?
I hardly think it has anything to do with him CARING that children are being born with and are dying from HIV/AIDS or that women are being infected by a male population that care nothing about the health and well being of others over their sexual gratification and ignorant machismo.

The pope would have a good deal more credibility with me if he got with the program and gave up his mysogonistic ways.
If AIDS is so rampant, it sure doesn't sound like your way is working, does it? Maybe, instead of refusing to address the moral weakness in widespread promiscuous sex and wondering why it isn't working, we try the Pope's way.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Whether you're talking about hamburger, kielbasa, or even pepperoni, there's one small (or large, if that's how things go ) item to contend with: the Pope is not a political leader; he's a religious leader. And only for one specific religion. If you don't happen to follow that religion, then obviously you can take or leave his comments as you see fit. The thing that bothers me is the way the Pope makes pronouncements as though everyone within earshot of his voice is automatically bound by them.
Really, everybody should be bound by the truth, Catholic or not. The Pope is speaking the truth. You disobey if you want, but why would you want to be wrong?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Hahaha, these days it's very easy to take shots at the catholic church. All their pomp is plummeting. I believe the everyday churchgoers are sincere in their convictions (as misled as they may be), but anybody from the priest on up to the pope can jump off a bridge.
Here's the thing liberals don't understand. The Catholic Church isn't like the Democrat Party. They don't change their stances when some people gripe. We've been hearing for decades that people are leaving the Church in droves over their abortion stand. Yet the church remains as strong as ever. It's strength and appeal is in its absolute core convictions. Being true to a set of core beliefs is tough. The fact is, some people just can't cut it. So they leave. That's their choice, but whom does it hurt? Not the Catholic Church. They're going to continue being what they have always been.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:03 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Here's the thing liberals don't understand. The Catholic Church isn't like the Democrat Party. They don't change their stances when some people gripe. We've been hearing for decades that people are leaving the Church in droves over their abortion stand. Yet the church remains as strong as ever. It's strength and appeal is in its absolute core convictions. Being true to a set of core beliefs is tough. The fact is, some people just can't cut it. So they leave. That's their choice, but whom does it hurt? Not the Catholic Church. They're going to continue being what they have always been.
Are your wrist and palms sore??

They must be from thumping the bible they way you do.

All I'm gonna say is once a priest molests a kid he needs to booted out of the church and reported to the law. Not moved around from church to church.

You could say that is a small percentage of priests that do that. It may be true but as far as I'm concerned the church shouldn't be covering it up.

Take that baffoon here in LA, Cardinal phony baloney Mahoney as their calling him around here.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Are your wrist and palms sore??

They must be from thumping the bible they way you do.

All I'm gonna say is once a priest molests a kid he needs to booted out of the church and reported to the law. Not moved around from church to church.

You could say that is a small percentage of priests that do that. It may be true but as far as I'm concerned the church shouldn't be covering it up.

Take that baffoon here in LA, Cardinal phony baloney Mahoney as their calling him around here.
Yes, there were gay priests who disobeyed their vows and molested kids. There are bad people in every organization. What does that have to do with the tenets and teachings of the Church? Nothing.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:23 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
No, they weren't gay.

They were pedophiles. Huge difference.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
No, they weren't gay.

They were pedophiles. Huge difference.
90% of the molestation cases prosecuted against the Catholic Church involved boys. Coincidence?

If you are a man who molests boys, you are gay by definition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates