Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
If I were a principal, I would feel that the consequences of bullying, including suicide, would rest on my shoulders regardless of whether or not I was formally obligated to stop any barbarity going on under the roof of my school. The statute I drafted provides for due process within the parameters of administrative law -- I suggest you reread it more carefully. And frankly, I would rather dedicate my day to this, than to sorting out the particulars of the homecoming dance. Two of the school's primary obligations are to keep students safe and to make sure nothing interferes with the academic process -- and it should be an administrator's duty to carry out those obligations even if doing so takes precious hours out of the principal's time.

No, it doesn't meet that standard. Your interpretation of my hypothetical rule violates every principle of statutory interpretation, and even plain common sense. Reread my definition of "verbal harassment", as well as the standard of review that follows it -- to constitute "verbal harassment", THREE separate criteria must be met. Telling a "sensitive kid" his hat is goofy meets none of those criteria under the hypothetical rule as I drafted it.
Does it meet any test of "verbal harassment" to call a kid a Virgin because he comes from the Virgin Islands? Is the principal obliged to ensure that such remarks are never uttered in his school without strict and rigid sanctions against the offender, including every prolonged and time-consuming element of due process?

Since when it is considered criminal harassment to call an eleven-year-old a virgin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:03 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Jt-these aren't the things that are being leveled at the kids. That's not even close.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:07 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Does it meet any test of "verbal harassment" to call a kid a Virgin because he comes from the Virgin Islands? Is the principal obliged to ensure that such remarks are never uttered in his school without strict and rigid sanctions against the offender, including every prolonged and time-consuming element of due process?
No, because the statement in question does not meet the test for "verbal harassment" set forth in Sec. 3 of my hypothetical rule.

Quote:
Since when it is considered criminal harassment to call an eleven-year-old a virgin?
Oh, for crying out loud. Before bashing the rule I suggested, at least have the decency to read it. Twice, if necessary. Because it's painfully obvious to me that you haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Jt-these aren't the things that are being leveled at the kids. That's not even close.
Well, heaven forbid we take away a thug's liberty to punish "social misfits" by ejaculating into their lunch boxes. Right, Jt? Because you know, that would meet the test for bullying under the rule I proposed. [/end sarcasm]

Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
What a tragedy but bullying is part of growing up and a way to decipher ranks among young boys. The weak ones are picked on and thats just how life works. Its not right or fair but its reality and it will be part of reality as long as we are around. All animals must have ranking systems starting from the time they are very young.

I take it there was no Father at home? Unfortunately Fatherless children are often unequipped to deal with things w/out proper support at home.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:18 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
By all means, take 'em away. But the outlandish notion that the kids are facing something like your hat is goofy or your a virgin if your from the Virgin Islands is so far off base. They are called gay and ***** and Slu** and dykes and retarded and etc. and so on. These things do not happen occasionally, they happen a lot. They are ridiculed and are set up to walk into pranks. I don't see the need to pretend that it isn't in existence.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
IMO, JTUR88 is completely out of touch with the amount and type of bullying that goes on in schools, primarily public schools, around the country.

The bullying that is happening IS NOT merely "name calling" - although there is that, and some of it is vile name calling, but, it is also physical bullying - on campus, and off campus.

Some of it is violent, VERY violent in some cases - some of it is destructive in nature - destroying personal property. Some of it is the "rumor" and "texting" to embarrass a student (has led to suicides in several cases).

Some school districts seem to take a pro-active approach in dealing with the issue while some others are very laid back.

One of the larger issues IMO regarding "bullying" is when it happens on the school grounds and then moves OFF the school grounds - it is very difficult, in most cases, to prosecute the off campus actions in many jurisdictions.

Schools should be quality learning environment free from these types of tactics. Oh, to be sure, there will always be the hazing, joking etc that has been around for decades / centuries. But, when it starts getting physical, or to the point where it is mentally damaging a child, it has to be dealt with - and dealt with hard!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:20 PM

Exactly my point.

"Bermudez says bullies at school pushed Jaheem over the edge. He complained about being called gay, ugly and "the virgin" because he was from the Virgin Islands, she said."

Just how do we hold a principal or a school administrator responsible for making sure that no 11-year-old is called a virgin?

I've lost track of who thinks what, here, because everybody keeps commenting on single lines out of context.

Greatday, I do know how much bullying goes on. The point is, any genuine effort to combat real bullying would ignore the kinds of casual taunting that led to Jajeem's exasperation.

My position, just to clarify it, is that it would be impossible to formulate and effectively police a set of rules that would reduce to zero the risk that a child like Jaheem would commit suicide over being called a virgin. Unless the rules were so rigid and all-encompassing that every person with the normal maturity of an 11-year-old would be guilty by default.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:08 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
What a tragedy but bullying is part of growing up and a way to decipher ranks among young boys. The weak ones are picked on and thats just how life works. Its not right or fair but its reality and it will be part of reality as long as we are around. All animals must have ranking systems starting from the time they are very young.

I take it there was no Father at home? Unfortunately Fatherless children are often unequipped to deal with things w/out proper support at home.
I thought the article says he DOES have a father at home. And I disagree completely with the implication that bullying is necessary. Kids can be taught to handle themselves better than that, and many of them do.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:14 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Greatday, I do know how much bullying goes on.
Actually - I don't think you really do - Unless you are actively involved in the schools on almost a daily basis, or deal directly in some direct manner with the student population on almost a dalily basis - you really do not know how much bullying goes on.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually - I don't think you really do - Unless you are actively involved in the schools on almost a daily basis, or deal directly in some direct manner with the student population on almost a dalily basis - you really do not know how much bullying goes on.
How do you know I don't? If I stated to you that bullying has reached serious proportions in our public schools, has expanded to off-campus, and the administrations are nearly powerless take any effective measures to combat it, would you continue to say I don't know anything? Or is that comment reserved only for people who see things differently from you?

Do you think that bullying in schools is a well-kept secret? Or that I never read anything? Or that I don't know anybody who is associated with schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates