Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipLib View Post
One good solution would be for the parents of a bullied child to be able to file suit against the parents of the bullys and the school board for allowing it to happen. Hitting them in the face often doesn't help. Hitting them in the pocketbook will.
Oh, good, a lawsuit. Let the high-powered dream-teams sort it out, with the settlement announced in 2024, the court documents sealed, and all the money going to the lawyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Half the kids in the DeKalb County schools don't know where (or who) their dad is.
Source for this information??

Old 04-26-2009, 10:36 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Some people here don't seem to feel sorry at all. He was tormented simply because he was gay.
He was not an adult. He did not know how to deal with it. It's pathetic to read that he was "supposed to be able" to deal with it, or he should have just "sucked it up".
Those who say this have no damn clue what it means to a child if they are being bullied. It is not just verbal abuse. I want to see what you would do if you were a 10 year old child and a group of bullies would torment you every single day. The victims get literally pushed around. It makes me sick to see that someone lost his life just because someone else couldn't deal with bim being gay.

Children need to be protected and not to be taught how to suck it up. Hello?

Old 04-26-2009, 10:42 PM

City-Data.com. I overstated, but not by much.

For DeKalb County GA, 36% of all family household units have a female head of household. If I had said one third, I would have understated. The actual number is between a third and a half.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:40 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
I am currently experiencing cut and paste hell. Everytime I do this windows shuts down. So, run through google news and you will find the information.

This child lives in a 2 parent home, step-dad's name is Norman Keene. Child's age 11, A/B student.

Carl Joseph Walker, another 11 year old from Mass. recently committed suicide. Due to bullying.

Eric Mohat, age 17 commited suicide and, in 2007, 3 other students in his class committed suicide. Due to bullying.

Gawd forbid, someone have to evaluate the crap they spew or their children spew. The same game is played at the adult level, office politics, because even though people actually graduate high school they can't get over it. The only trickle down anything that has ever worked.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:04 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
You want to blame teachers or bullies, please . You think hes the only kid in that school getting bullied??? The parents were not involved in this child's life enough if they did not see it coming at all. the kid comes home crying about bullies and so they go and yell at administrators who then yell at teachers who then yell at students who then yell at the kid again. I am sorry but maybe the parents should have spent a little more time talking to their child instead of yelling at other people.
She did get involved. She did know that the bullying was going on. Did she identify his suicidal ideation? Assuming it existed prior to that day (and suicidal children/adolescents are notoriously impulsive, and act without the planning noted among many suicidal adults), most parents are not skilled in identifying where their child would be on a lethality scale.

Blaming Mom is easy, and tidy for the rest of society, but as inappropriate here as when autism was considered to be the result of "refrigerator mothers". And clearly, the state legislatures disagree with you, since at this point a majority of states have anti-bullying statutes.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
How far do you really want schools to go? We had a case here a year ago in Port Lavaca, Texas. Five girls, all sisters and/or cousins, decided it would be fun to color-coordinate their clothes every day. They'd get on their cell or myspace and choose a color for tomorrow. Apparently, one day the principle told them not to wear gang colors. Port Lavacas is a little town of 10,000, over 100 miles from any cities that have gangs. The girls probably didn't even know what gang colors are.

One day they wore blue---Dallas Cowboy sweatshirts, light-blue blouse, etc. They were called into the office and expelled. for wearing gang colors. Never mind that 50 other students might have also accidentally put on their blue shirt that day. The grand mother of one of the girls came to the office and objected to the expulsion so loudly, that the police were called and she was arrested.

Just how far should schools go?
What exactly does this have to do with bullies?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:10 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Teachers and administration that bully or allow it to continue.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post

Nothing. Note my opening sentence,which directed my post at people who thought schools could be improved if the administrators took a tougher line, however mindless and thoughtless and arbitrary and flow-chart heavy, on student behavior in general. "How far do you want schools to go?" To prevent one-in-a-million events.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:54 AM

857 posts, read 1,423,159 times
Quote:
Oh, good, a lawsuit. Let the high-powered dream-teams sort it out, with the settlement announced in 2024, the court documents sealed, and all the money going to the lawyers.
haha, good call jtur . Frivolous Lawsuits do nothing but make lawyers rich.

Quote:
the state legislatures disagree with you, since at this point a majority of states have anti-bullying statutes.
Quote:
The part jtur brought up about the 5 girls getting kicked out shows that there are a lot of laws in place to try and deal with the problems of gangs/bullies. And a lot of the laws have no common sense in them so schools are forced to make poor decidions because it is the letter of the law.

But I still say that nobody here really cares. Its just another argument that is going to go on for a few more days then fizzle out when the next story comes along. If bullies really are a big issue to you, get involved. Become a big brother or join the PTA or something and help these kids become normal functioning adults. But I doubt many of you are even going to go as far as to shoot an email to your local legislator. Nobody here really cares, we just like to talk about whatever we see in the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates