Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

In other words, it could happen anywhere, if it could happen at Columbine. That is actually true, IMO. BTW, did you notice Columbine has 20 black kids out of a total of 1653? So don't blame the blacks. One of the kids killed was black, but the killers and almost everyone else at that school was either white (83.2%) or Hispanic (11.3%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Bullying makes me extremely sad. I have seen far to much of it over the years. All to often I have seen adults encourage bullying. School athletics and other extracurricular sports are a breeding ground for such behavior, sadly. A lot depends on the coaches. I'm not bashing sports, I have just seen a lot of kids self esteem crushed by bad coaches and the cruelty of the kids under these types tutelage. There are many classes of bully, from all walks of life, made the way they are from various reasons. However, in the end, I blame the adults that these kids have had for examples. Not the kids themselves. At least a high percentage of the time anyway. My heart breaks for bullied kids. I believe in the Old Code. Uphold the weak, defend the defenseless, this is the duty of the strong.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,061,158 times
I saw Oprah Winfrey this afternoon. She had the boys mother and the mother of another boy who commited suicide and the mother of a boy who was nearing the edge of suicide. The schools are to blame for the bullying. The Guidance counselors are telling the children to ignore the bullying and it will go away!! what are they thinking! Ignoring the problem is only making it worse.They dont know the effects these bullies are having on their victims.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
The Guidance counselors are telling the children to ignore the bullying and it will go away!! .
It DOES go away. Most (maybe all) of the kids who bullied me are dead now.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,061,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It DOES go away. Most (maybe all) of the kids who bullied me are dead now.
I dont know if you are being sarcastic there or just being an as..no offense

I didnt find that humorous.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,991 times
How about some resiliency? I think JoeyR was getting at this. Not all kids get picked on, and why is that? Install a sense of confidence and independence and discourage vulnerability. Don't blame the schools. Surely you're not depending on them for your children's healthy psychological development. Teach your children to be stronger and not to care what these losers say. Put all the bullies in one classroom and let them go at it. Don't wait on the school to handle it. Don't count on the guidance counselors. That's just setting up for failure.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Kids who attend the worst schools in the state, very likely come from the most dysfunctional, least disciplined homes in the state. At least, there is a statistical correlation. Put those 664 Dunaire kids into any environment short of boot camp, there are going to be more problems than any administrative policy can resolve with a 5-star rating of 100%.

Pandamonium, you show me good statistical evidence (using valid sample size and metrics) that there is NO correlation between the black/white ratio of students and either the disciplinary or adacemic performance of schools, and I will acknowledge that we should not be afraid of African American students. (My parenthetic inclusion above is in anticipation of the typical poster who will present an anecdotal example of one black school that is better than one white school 2,000 miles away. Such anecdotal proofs run rampant here.)
Why do I have to look at black vs. white?

Look, crime stats for Stone Mountain
http://stonemountainpd.org/stats.htm

Look at the figures for number of Title I schools v non Title I schools, and the number that did not improve.
Georgia Department of Education (http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/ReportingFW.aspx?PageReq=104&StateId=ALL&T=1&FY=20 08 - broken link)

Alice Coachman Elementary in Dougherty County, GA, is comprised of predominantly African American students. Also Title I.
Alice Coachman Elementary School - Albany, Georgia Schools | Schoolmatters.com (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sp/sid=43926 - broken link)

Crime Statistics (http://www.albany.ga.us/apd2/apd_crime_stats.htm - broken link) if you want to look at Albany crime stats.

You are being unusually racist, don't you think?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:23 PM

I think I specifically asked (in anticipation of your typical response) for evidence reflecting a valid statistical sample size. And you reply with cherry-picked examples at extreme ends of the spectrum to "prove" your unsustainable point.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:30 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
You know what, JT. Your racist. You want me to find some method for you to justify being afraid of African American children in fricking Georgia. Which is not known to be on the high education scale to begin with. You want me to come up with some inane thing to qualify the reasons that schools with black kids should be anything less than a boot camp.

Fact, you want to use examples of statistics covered from No Child left Behind. Hell, I live in a state where they are 47th out of the country education wise. I could sit here and cherry pick crap from my state. Doesn't change the fact they are still 47th in the nation.

Where, pray tell, does Georgia fall nation wide?

So, my "typical response" is not typical. Your a little old retired white dude that is afraid of African Americans, point blank and you will utilize whatever you think is necessary to justify that opinion.

You obviously do not get No Child Left Behind and you do not get Zero Tolerance and you fall short in your expertise in bullying.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
You know what, JT. Your racist.
And you're stupid. And' I'd rather be what I am than what you are, because I can be taught to be something else. And, I will be. But not by stupid people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates