U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 PM
 
197 posts, read 328,532 times
Reputation: 149

Advertisements

I mean... find me a corporation that isn't... i take that back, find me ten.. Honestly, what is this world coming to..

Patent For a Pig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,751,603 times
Reputation: 35904
Monsanto was a synonym for "evil", long before we ever even heard of Halliburton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 11:42 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,509,515 times
Reputation: 3869
So... A company that has spent millions of dollars developing something is not allowed to patent it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,751,603 times
Reputation: 35904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So... A company that has spent millions of dollars developing something is not allowed to patent it?
They have done more than that. They have used their influence to pesuade the World Bank and IMF to refuse to loan money to countries that allow anybody to use a product that is not patented by Monsanto. If Monsanto patents a pig, a country will be required to ban all pigs that are not Monsanto pigs, and if they do not comply, the IMF will not let them participate in any global monetary plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,509,515 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They have done more than that. They have used their influence to pesuade the World Bank and IMF to refuse to loan money to countries that allow anybody to use a product that is not patented by Monsanto. If Monsanto patents a pig, a country will be required to ban all pigs that are not Monsanto pigs, and if they do not comply, the IMF will not let them participate in any global monetary plans.
I'd like to see evidence of that.

Monsanto cannot patent pigs. They can, however, patent a particular hybrid of pig that they have developed. In fact, that is very common. Every company patents the products they spend millions of dollars developing. Monsanto (3 years ago) sought a patent for a GENETIC MARKER. They did NOT seek any kind of patent on a pig. That is absurd.


While I'm no fan of Monsanto, I'm bothered by the assumptions made about the company, and they way they've been pictured as Satan incarnate. Too much of the information that rifles through Blogosphere is simply inaccurate. The video in the OP is old, it is inaccurate and it is extremely self-serving. It actually borders on slanderous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 AM
 
49,073 posts, read 39,528,949 times
Reputation: 30692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post
I mean... find me a corporation that isn't... i take that back, find me ten.. Honestly, what is this world coming to..

Patent For a Pig
Can you explain why they are evil? Lucidly? I doubt it.
Yet another corporations are evil thread, sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
 
49,073 posts, read 39,528,949 times
Reputation: 30692
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They have done more than that. They have used their influence to pesuade the World Bank and IMF to refuse to loan money to countries that allow anybody to use a product that is not patented by Monsanto. If Monsanto patents a pig, a country will be required to ban all pigs that are not Monsanto pigs, and if they do not comply, the IMF will not let them participate in any global monetary plans.
I've pwned you before when you've posted garbage in the past so here we go again. I'm saying you have a faulty memory and often post "facts" that are nothing more that the blog ramblings of someone in the depths of their 3rd fatty of the night.

So basically, lets see the evidence that Monsanto forces foreing countries to only use their products.

For now, I'm filing this under "making stuff up because you have an irrational hatred".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 01:33 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
13,692 posts, read 15,148,997 times
Reputation: 9493
I remember in the 1970's Monsanto was evil because of toxic contamination issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,751,603 times
Reputation: 35904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'd like to see evidence of that.

.
"Through the patent, Monsanto has garnered monopoly rights over the traditional characteristics of wheat variety. It crossed Nap-Hal, a traditional Indian land race, with other plants that are conventionally bred, not genetically modified. The patent was granted for 13 European countries, Japan, Australia and Canada.

"Monsanto's patent covers biscuits, flour and dough produced from this wheat, as well as the plants themselves. This means that the company could, in future, take legal action not only against farmers and scientists trying to breed wheat varieties with similar genetic traits, but also bakeries, confectioners and supermarkets if they produce or sell biscuits and other foods made from patented wheat."


InfoChange India News & Features development news India - Monsanto patents Indian wheat gene (http://infochangeindia.org/200309152839/Trade-Development/News-Scan/Monsanto-patents-Indian-wheat-gene.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,509,515 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"Through the patent, Monsanto has garnered monopoly rights over the traditional characteristics of wheat variety. It crossed Nap-Hal, a traditional Indian land race, with other plants that are conventionally bred, not genetically modified. The patent was granted for 13 European countries, Japan, Australia and Canada.

"Monsanto's patent covers biscuits, flour and dough produced from this wheat, as well as the plants themselves. This means that the company could, in future, take legal action not only against farmers and scientists trying to breed wheat varieties with similar genetic traits, but also bakeries, confectioners and supermarkets if they produce or sell biscuits and other foods made from patented wheat."


InfoChange India News & Features development news India - Monsanto patents Indian wheat gene (http://infochangeindia.org/200309152839/Trade-Development/News-Scan/Monsanto-patents-Indian-wheat-gene.html - broken link)

I'm sorry, but if you read that article, you'll see that it is absurd.

It's nothing more than conspiracy theory speculation. Yes, Monsanto IS patenting IT'S OWN HYBRIDS. But if you do some research, you'll find that EVERY seed company patents its hybrids.

This is nothing new, and it's nothing unique to Monsanto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top