Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:15 PM

943 posts, read 3,161,454 times

Advertisements

A number of my extended family have recently graduated with Liberal Arts Degrees from College and are now hitting the job market unsuccessfully. Most of them have absolutely no work experience even in a part time job. Or do they have any part time experience as an unpaid Intern. They devoted themselves to their studies.

Now they are angry that they can not find a job. Are they any better off than a person right out of High School? Lets assume they are equal in communication skills and interviewing skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 03:41 PM

542 posts, read 1,450,024 times
its better than a high school student because you already have credit to put toward a different degree.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:09 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,328,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
A number of my extended family have recently graduated with Liberal Arts Degrees from College and are now hitting the job market unsuccessfully. Most of them have absolutely no work experience even in a part time job. Or do they have any part time experience as an unpaid Intern. They devoted themselves to their studies.

Now they are angry that they can not find a job. Are they any better off than a person right out of High School? Lets assume they are equal in communication skills and interviewing skills.
I think: Given that the job market works more or less on a supply and demand scenario, the amount of people in any college now will hold something equal to the new GED. In other words, a college degree is about to become the norm for most employment.

There are applications for liberal arts degrees in real life, the problem is that it's a hard road to make it work for you. Kind of like how rock bands need a certian amount of dicipline to keep from burning out... In other words, if you think you're going to be the next fiction writer, you had better work REAL hard on some great writing. And most people just don't have that. But they get into liberal arts thinking it will be an easy degree with a soft life to follow but the road is in many ways harder than climbing the company ladder from the bottom. Then they end up working at burger king and becoming comedians

Old 06-26-2009, 04:16 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
This totally depends on the person. I question the drive and ambition of anyone who can gradeaute from both high school AND college without ANY work experience, but you live in an interesting world, weekend traveller!

Old 06-26-2009, 04:16 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,610,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
its better than a high school student because you already have credit to put toward a different degree.
Good point. I see that as the only real advantage as well.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Basically they have gotten a better than high school general education. It really depends on the person as all degrees have different values in the workplace.I think that liberal arts is considered a easy degree compared to many.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:57 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:

Yes, a college degree is important in this job market if you want a career job. But the market is terrible. You may not get your dream job. At the university in my city, summer secession enrollment was up 20%. Lost of graduate work because there are no jobs.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:09 PM

52,290 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:

I've always viewed education from a job standpoint. Having a liberal arts degree is nice at cocktail parties where you could discuss the merits of Nietzsche, but I tend to look towards the practical.

Those types of degrees are probably OK if you get into politics or become some sort of lobbyist.

You're definitely not going to be designing integrated circuits or some other type of engineering discipline.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:20 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically they have gotten a better than high school general education. It really depends on the person as all degrees have different values in the workplace.I think that liberal arts is considered a easy degree compared to many.
A degree in math, physics, language or English (grammar, rhetoric, etc) is not easy for most people. (these are considered liberal arts majors)

Contrary to popular belief, a liberal arts degree is not a degree in underwater basket weaving. The idea is to develop a student’s logic, rational thought, and overall intellectual horsepower. I know this is going to ruffle some feathers, but in comparing a liberal arts major who graduated in a challenging major and did well, and a specific vocational degree student who graduated and did well... the liberal arts major is going to have a 'rounder' education and 'know more' in general (again: IN GENERAL). He/she will have adaptable tools to spread over a broader range of employment situations.

Some years back I did a research paper on technical writers in the computer and/or technical sector. In the vast majority of the cases, companies wanted English majors to fill the role, not computer degree people. Generally, the 'computer geek' with a computer degree who may have the technical knowledge can't usually convey anything in writing to the general public in a pleasant, understandable way (look at some of the computer tech manuals written solely by geeks to see what I mean). He/she knows how to code and handle a computer/network and that's about it. This is not always the case, but quite often. So then, that liberal arts English major who spent four or five years learning grammar, lanugage, presentation, rhetoric, discourse analysis, communication, creative writing, grant proposal writing, APA writing, MLA writing, etc, is going to chew the computer major up and spit him out in anything besides coding a computer or entering some UNIX commands on a server. (again, in general).

Old 06-26-2009, 06:29 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,833 times
Tell them to turn around and go back to get their master's degree -- otherwise, it will be an uphill struggle to find a job in the field that they are interested in pursuing. Either that, or start their own company b/c they can't expect to work their way up -- there is a glass ceiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates