Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:07 PM

481 posts, read 943,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Hilarious video of Michael Moore berating the cops for all the black people white cops have killed for suspecting a gun. One guy had a wallet, one had a remote control, one had a candy bar, one had a hair clip, one had a spatula, one had house keys.

what does a phone look like in a white guys hand? a phone
what does it look like in a black guys hand? an ak47.
you ask ammadou diallo what happens when youre black outside and grab your wallet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:09 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
1. The situations I am talking about are the times like when a young unarmed African student by the name of Amadou Dialo is mistake for someone else by police, and who say they thought he waspulling out a gun but all he had was a wallet so they shoot him 40+ times. 2. I'm talking about young men, liek the ones in my class, who share stories of driving around Charlottesville, VA at night and get pulled over and the police ask for their license and where they are going and then let them on there way. 3. I'm talking about the Balck and Middle Eastern men who I see getting searched at the airport in way higher proportions then anyone else. I'm talking about crazy Sheriff Joe here in Maricopa who loves rounding up "Mexican-looking" people to check for papers. I'm talking about me having a strange Spanish last name and how that had gotten me placed straight into ESL when I was younger (even though I hardly spoke Spanish).

Those are the kind fo things I am talking about. The millions of instances that color is the ONLY factor for sh*t to happen to people. The covert crap that people have to take cause you really can't prove it, but you know it is real.

You ahve the priviledge to not have to deal with it. But just because it is not your reality, doesn't make it any less real.

I wonder, has your mother, wife, daughter ever experienced sexism?
1. Yes, I'm familiar with that tragedy. But to what do you connect it? My premise is that it is NOT as simple and convenient as blaming it on race or racial profiling.

2. Ummm... That happens to people of all races. It is not at all uncommon for police officers to run random stop & check points and/or pull everyone over. Am I going to claim that no officer ever pulls blacks over unfairly? Nope. But just making the claim doesn't mean too much either.

3. You can hardly say that's without merit. Granted, it casts a lot of innocent people in a bad light, but that's kind of what happens when an unexpected terrorist strike topples a couple skyscrapers. Any flying I have done in the last 7 years has been a huge hassle too - so although my problems pale in comparison, it's not as though there's nobody but Arabs and some Blacks who are being hassled at airports.

I know nothing about the sheriff you mentioned. But I do know that illegal immigration is a HUGE problem in America. I'll admit that I don't know what the answers are, but I'm quite sure that whatever happens, there will be screams of racism because - after all - it does involve Hispanics.

I don't think that you being automatically put into an ESL class when you were young is a big deal.

Regarding my personal experience... My family lives in a nearly all-black neighborhood. We are here by choice. Am I experiencing covert racism? Perhaps, but I really don't know. I'm not looking for it. It's possible that I have some people a block down the street, sitting in their living room, grumling, "Who does that $#@!@! H****y think he is, coming into our neighborhood?" I don't know, so I'm not assuming anything.

As for my mother, she died of cancer about 2 months ago. My wife & daughter have never mentioned anything about sexism. Either it hasn't happened, or they simply didn't look for it.

Again, we often find EXACTLY what we're looking for.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:18 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,898 times
Quote:
Read Peggy MacIntosh's "Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack". She does a great job of explaining the concept of White Priviledge. I'll try and find it online because all I have is a hardcopy. But just by definition, those in the majority (and I am talking about majority as a power concept not just numbers) are going to have priviledges that those in the minority don't have.
I would love to read this. To me lately being white is not so grand because a lot of people hire minority because they feel they have to or because they feel they will be looked down on if they do not. Hence being white now a day is not so grand.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Hilarious video of Michael Moore berating the cops for all the black people white cops have killed for suspecting a gun. One guy had a wallet, one had a remote control, one had a candy bar, one had a hair clip, one had a spatula, one had house keys.

what does a phone look like in a white guys hand? a phone
what does it look like in a black guys hand? an ak47.

YouTube - Michael Moore- The Awful Truth

you ask ammadou diallo what happens when youre black outside and grab your wallet.
This is a classic video clip. Moore is being satirical, yet he makes a very important point.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 PM

OK, if you want to say that all this is just my imagination and the imagination of millions of other people of color, then that is a priviledge you have. If you are adament about not stepping ou of your comfort zone and continue to believe that what I am saying has no merit or truth other then it is my own skewed view of the world, then there is nothign left to say. As my mentor says at the beginning of every class "The only person you can change is yourself". You are obviously steadfast in believing that your expereince and your truth is the real truth for all. Thankfully I am way beyond needing others to validate my truths for me.

I do suggest though that maybe you should ask your wife and daughter about their experiences with sexism, because I bet they both have had them. Maybe it would open your eyes to certain things you were not aware of. However, if you do have the courage to have that conversation, I suggest you not tell them that it happened because they were looking for it.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
I would love to read this. To me lately being white is not so grand because a lot of people hire minority because they feel they have to or because they feel they will be looked down on if they do not. Hence being white now a day is not so grand.
Ah, the ol'e Affirmative Action issue. Maybe that should be a different debate altogether. But I will say my heart goes out to anyone who is having a hard time finding work. It sucks.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
MacIntosh's reading is excellent!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
OK, if you want to say that all this is just my imagination and the imagination of millions of other people of color, then that is a priviledge you have. If you are adament about not stepping ou of your comfort zone and continue to believe that what I am saying has no merit or truth other then it is my own skewed view of the world, then there is nothign left to say. As my mentor says at the beginning of every class "The only person you can change is yourself". You are obviously steadfast in believing that your expereince and your truth is the real truth for all. Thankfully I am way beyond needing others to validate my truths for me.

I do suggest though that maybe you should ask your wife and daughter about their experiences with sexism, because I bet they both have had them. Maybe it would open your eyes to certain things you were not aware of. However, if you do have the courage to have that conversation, I suggest you not tell them that it happened because they were looking for it.
So now you're going to get all pissy at me? Wow. Nice one.

And by the way, I'd strongly suggest you shut your snotty little mouth about my relationship with members of my family! You are WAY out of line little girl!

I've been MORE THAN civil to you, and MORE THAN patient with your viewpoint. But in short, you've earned these two words: Kiss off. There's a reason you keep flitting from forum to forum, and finding trouble everywhere. There is a common denominator you refuse to admit. You're a victim of EVERYTHING. You CREATE unique ways of being a victim. Congratulations.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
MacIntosh's reading is excellent!
White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh

This is a link to MacIntosh's reading.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:32 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
thanks. ill check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates