Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:22 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
It's mutilation. Plain and simple. Horses have their tails cut short, and broken too. It should be outlawed. What if animals lopped off our lips so they could wager on drooling contests ? Or stitched our butt cheeks together to see how long it would take us to explode ?

Read up on tail docking. There are legitimate reasons for it. Some breeds have tails that are easily injured, and tail injuries don't heal well.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:23 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
Quote:
It's mutilation. Plain and simple. Horses have their tails cut short, and broken too. It should be outlawed. What if animals lopped off our lips so they could wager on drooling contests ? Or stitched our butt cheeks together to see how long it would take us to explode ?
Those are harmful, and we actually care.

These don't harm the dogs, and they don't care.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:24 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Or stitched our butt cheeks together to see how long it would take us to explode ?
I don't think we'd explode. I think it'd be more like a slow, steady inflation. And probably a lot of gas seepage. Maybe some pained looks on faces. But explosion? No, I don't think so.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
I never said the word everybody, so I guess you need to work on your reading comprehension. Calm down on your emotions!! now according to you i'm responsible for stereotypes(in all forms). Stop being such a drama queen!!! In my opinion cropping years on pit bulls is stupid and is not good for a breed that has to deal with a bunch of idiots anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
That is one big sign of a potential bad pit bull owner is if they crop and dock their dog.
I take offense to that.

You're saying only people who do not crop or dock are good keepers.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:53 PM

459 posts, read 804,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I take offense to that.

You're saying only people who do not crop or dock are good keepers.

Like I said it could be a potential bad owner, that doesn't include the word everybody. The main reason cropped ears on pit bulls is a bad idea is because it's disrespectful in the dog world, when a dog has his ears up all the time it's a sign of dominance and it can cause alot of fights between dogs. I just perfer my pit bull to not look like he has a bigger head and I don't like him attracting alot of attention, because of all the crap he gets already from other people for just being a pit bull, i don't want to make his life harder in society.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:56 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,224 times
this might be a good place to ask a question about my dogs cropped tail. i adopted her from the pound. she was approximately 6 months old. the shelter told me she was an australian shephard mix but her tail is very short so i always wondered if she was a mixed breed. on a walk with her once a woman told me that with the cropped tail she was probably not a mix because she wouldn't have been born with a short tail. are dogs every born with short tails?? and if not doesn't it seem strange that someone would crop her tail and then give her to the pound? i might ad that she looks very much like an aussie. i'm not sure what the other breed in her is.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 PM

So what about all other breeds with naturally erect ears?How are they kept from asserting dominance?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:05 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
BlueWillowPlate explained why tails are docked in some breeds. From what I have read, tail injuries like the one her dog had are common in certain breeds, so they are usually docked. On the other hand, I don't see any practical reason to crop a dog's ears anymore.
We had Dobermans. The tails were docked because once we had one that wasn't, and his tail was broken - which was infinitely more painful I'm sure. As far as their ears, we didn't crop them. I feel that they serve a purpose with regard to hearing in many breeds. It stands to reason (maybe it's just my twisted logic) that they can serve to muffle excess stimulation and possibly keep the dog from being overstimulated. To crop them for no other purpose other than to make them look tougher seems to be more of a reflection of the owner's needs.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:05 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,224 times
ok! lol! wikipedia to the rescue. apparently some aussies ARE born with naturally short bobbed tails! so she could have been born with the short tail

Old 07-27-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
To crop them for no other purpose other than to make them look tougher seems to be more of a reflection of the owner's needs.
What needs do you ASSUME those are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates