Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:09 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,269 times

Advertisements

I object to this statement "we have given women power" no, women have always had power, it is our God given right, nothing a man gave us, men have unjustly taken away a woman's ability to exercise their power, and then corrected their errors, but it is nothing men gave us, it wasn't a man's to give. Yes though, both sexes do abuse their power, that I agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 09:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
I object to this statement "we have given women power" no, women have always had power, it is our God given right, nothing a man gave us, men have unjustly taken away a woman's ability to exercise their power, and then corrected their errors, but it is nothing men gave us, it wasn't a man's to give. Yes though, both sexes do abuse their power, that I agree with that.
My context was clearly stated. Women have lately acquired the power to accuse a man of rape, and to have him presumed guilty on that basis, and compel him to prove his innocence. They did not have that power in the past, but they have it now.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Once again, it is our God given right to be equal, women have always had the power to accuse their offenders, it is the state that took away in the past and has God-blessingly seen their errors and changed the system so that women will have their right to justice. I know what you are saying, and I see what you are trying to convey, but you cannot say 'we have given women power'. It is not yours to give. Yes, it is typical to want to sympathize with a victim, natural, and some women do lie, here is where the problem lies as it does across the board in the justice system. I just do not like to see the words, "we have given women power," because this is not true. It is and always has been ours, not someone else's.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:00 AM

315 posts, read 776,726 times
Quote:
Once again, it is our God given right to be equal, women have always had the power to accuse their offenders, it is the state that took away in the past and has God-blessingly seen their errors and changed the system so that women will have their right to justice. I know what you are saying, and I see what you are trying to convey, but you cannot say 'we have given women power'. It is not yours to give. Yes, it is typical to want to sympathize with a victim, natural, and some women do lie, here is where the problem lies as it does across the board in the justice system. I just do not like to see the words, "we have given women power," because this is not true. It is and always has been ours, not someone else's.
The laws of nature often describe and incite "the given" aspect of rights. For centuries women have been viewed as submissive to men. "The little barefoot pregnant housewife." And in honesty, many women today have no problem still taking on that role, but it is their choice. If a woman chooses to be the next Hilary Clinton, nobody gave her that right, it should have always been there, but until recent times, it was obstructed by society.

I think things have swayed the other direction in today's world. A woman who enjoys staying home, having kids and being a mom is attacked. This is equally as wrong and stating "she was given her rights" in my opinion.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:03 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,457,372 times
Quote:
he is not arguing what you are accusing him of arguing.

Quote:
Women have lately acquired the power to accuse a man of rape, and to have him presumed guilty on that basis,
he is implying that society has given women the presumption of truth when claiming sexual assault. that is not a right given by God, nature, the flying spaghetti monster, or anyone else.

it is actually a misnomer to be calling it a right in any sense, but it does seem to be the habit of our society, which makes it a "right" or whatever else you want to call it, granted by society.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
The laws of nature often describe and incite "the given" aspect of rights. For centuries women have been viewed as submissive to men. "The little barefoot pregnant housewife." And in honesty, many women today have no problem still taking on that role, but it is their choice. If a woman chooses to be the next Hilary Clinton, nobody gave her that right, it should have always been there, but until recent times, it was obstructed by society.

I think things have swayed the other direction in today's world. A woman who enjoys staying home, having kids and being a mom is attacked. This is equally as wrong and stating "she was given her rights" in my opinion.
yea I feel this way too, I think a woman's right to stay home if it is a decision made in the marriage is frowned upon and to me this is another aspect of feminism for her to exercise that right if possible in the family just as it is her right to be eligible for equal employment. I mean men do it too now, not as much but they do, and that is frowned upon sometimes too, but if that is what is best for the family I think that is wonderful to be a stay at home dad as well and an aspect of male-ism (if that's a term).

Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 AM

754 posts, read 1,923,208 times
The reason this made the news is because the claims were false. False claims such as these should be prosecuted and the punishment harsh as there are far too many times where a woman is raped or drugged and then "consensual sex takes place" and they get called liars because of creeps that make false claims.

Instead of bugging your own apartment and taping your sexual conquest, why not make sure you do not have sex with a drunken, beyond the point of consensual, or drugged girl.

Women, stop having sex with men you aren't married to as some are taping the encounters. I had premarital sex but, if I ever get divorced or widowed I wouldn't now.

Plus with the rampant drugging and raping going on now, I don't even go out with the girls anymore unless my husband goes with me. I have even read of some women getting drugged while their husbands or boyfriends were at the bar - these were even resturant bars where you go to get a drink while you wait on your table.

Men are more and more becoming victims of drugged rapes too! This is very under-reported because what straight man wants to admit that he got raped by another man.? Even though I am against anyone getting raped, I am grateful that this seems to be going to an equal opportunity game as men usually dismiss women who claim rape even if they were drugged. If it is a crime against men as well, we can see some laws come into effect and less of a "oh she was in a bar and is a ****" and deserved it kind of thinking.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
he is not arguing what you are accusing him of arguing.

he is implying that society has given women the presumption of truth when claiming sexual assault. that is not a right given by God, nature, the flying spaghetti monster, or anyone else.

it is actually a misnomer to be calling it a right in any sense, but it does seem to be the habit of our society, which makes it a "right" or whatever else you want to call it, granted by society.
I know what he is implying, I even said I know what he is implying, but I said I do not like to see the words "we have given women rights" as for the latter, you and I see society differently. You say society gives us rights, I say society is to provide a just way for exercising our God-given rights, whether or not it does, that's a different story. My right to justice is not given to me by society, society can only take away my ability to receive justice, not my right to it. I know the difference between rights and privileges as for what you said about calling it a right.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
I will preface my remarks by saying this is purely speculative on my part. When I heard that this girl had recanted her story about the gang rape, I was horrified and outraged that someone could make up such a story. Then I got to thinking, why would an 18 year-old willingly go into a filthy mens bathroom with 4 men she doesn't know, allow herself to be hog-tied, and proceed to allow these 4 complete strangers to have sex with her? Sounds strange, don't you think? What if she had been drinking, taking drugs, was a little loco, had a string of "boyfriends", whatever? What if her lawyer, and her parents got together and decided that proceeding with a trial such as this was just going to devastate an 18 year-old girl. Having every intimate detail splashed about on the national headlines every day, having every aspect of her and her family's life for the world to see, and for what? There are 4 of them, and they more than likely are going to have the same story, and we would never really know for sure which story was true. What if this were your daughter? Sure you be outraged, want to walk into court and blow their heads off with a shotgun, if it were me that's how I'd feel. Would you want her to sit through a draw-out trial where after a year there was little resolution, everyone knew your daughter's name, and her life for the forseeable future was a Jerry Springer debacle, or would you quietly encourage your daughter to recant her story, take her home, find her the best counsling you can, and help her rebuild her life away from the media circus, and away from the scrutiny and judgement she would be bound to endure during such a trial. I would be very conflicted if it were me. I would most certainly want justice brought against these men, but at what cost? Let me stress again, these are just my thoughts on this unfortunate event.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,457,372 times
Quote:
I know what he is implying, I even said I know what he is implying, but I said I do not like to see the words "we have given women rights"
and as i said earlier, "rights" is the wrong word. but this is still a privilege that comes from society. it is the same double standard privilege that society gives hate crimes against minorities, but denies against whites. this is a societal issue.

Quote:
as for the latter, you and I see society differently. You say society gives us rights,
bull. i said that society gives women that "right." i said nothing about society giving us rights. i was referring specifically to jturr's phraseology.

Quote:
I say society is to provide a just way for exercising our God-given rights, whether or not it does, that's a different story.
agreed.

Quote:
My right to justice is not given to me by society, society can only take away my ability to receive justice, not my right to it.
agreed.

Quote:
I know the difference between rights and privileges as for what you said about calling it a right.
a "right," not a right. if you understand the concepts of rights versus privileges, then you understand that the current condition where men accused of sexual assault are guilty until proven innocent is a societal issue, granted to women by a society that is too obsessed with looking for quick solutions to problems that they don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates