Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Just looking at the number of children being raised and often supported by theirr grand parents say alot about where single parenting it really.Just look at the fact that the new healthcare bill allows people upto 26 to stay on thier parents health insurance means its a growing problem of younger epopel not being able to support themselfs much less a child fo their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Ok, I think I am the owner of an unpopular opinion...

I mentioned it on another forum in a thread about Brad and Angelina.

I think they should have gotten married before having bio kids.

And I upset some people... I am sorry about that.

But it made me curious - am I really one of the last people in 2010 in the Western world who strongly believes in marriage before kids???
No you are not. I share your opinion that children should ideally be raised within a stable, legally protected family environment. The legal obligations of marriage are there to protect the partners and their offspring.
I said IDEALLY, so everyone can save their breath about single parents are great blah blah blah, because I know some are. But most children of single parent homes are screwed up in some way, in my opinion, and why anyone would want to start their kid out at a disadvantage like that seems very selfish and irresponsible to me.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:17 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Just looking at the number of children being raised and often supported by theirr grand parents say alot about where single parenting it really.Just look at the fact that the new healthcare bill allows people upto 26 to stay on thier parents health insurance means its a growing problem of younger epopel not being able to support themselfs much less a child fo their own.

How many parents are going to have 26 kids and grandkids combined? And why don't you back up your facts with some data on the subject.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No you are not. I share your opinion that children should ideally be raised within a stable, legally protected family environment. The legal obligations of marriage are there to protect the partners and their offspring.
I said IDEALLY, so everyone can save their breath about single parents are great blah blah blah, because I know some are. But most children of single parent homes are screwed up in some way, in my opinion, and why anyone would want to start their kid out at a disadvantage like that seems very selfish and irresponsible to me.

Really many kids coming from 2 parents homes are just as screwed up. I can cite any number of serial killlers or spree killers that come from loving 2 parent homes. Have known many a drug addict/criminal coming from the same environment as well You know what they say about assumptions don't you? Single or dual parent homes have the chance to raise either good or bad kids equally. There is no data that conclusively supports that it's any better to have 2 parents vs 1.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:21 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times
Quote:

But it made me curious - am I really one of the last people in 2010 in the Western world who strongly believes in marriage before kids???
I believe in commitment before having children. To me commitment is when a couple promise to be together and jointly raise a family. A commitment is not necessarily in front of a priest or a county representative although I do believe not getting legaly married may have some societal effect of not having that strong commitment but that is just me.

However, I understand when you say you upset some people. I have notice that many people that claim to be open minded if they see someone expressing a view they classify as old or conservative tend to be just as vicious, narrow minded, etc. and even try to demean people with different views. In other words they act the same way the people they classify as narrow minded, conservative with old views, take care.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:08 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:

Ideally, yes.

When a girl has a baby way too young it is often the quickest shortcut to poverty there is. But unless a woman in her 20's and older has a well-paying job, she'll struggle, too.

I have a niece in this situation right now. She's pregnant and is living with her aunt. She has her own manicure business but she was already living with the aunt to save money. I don't know what she's going to do. Her aunt offered to babysit on the weekends but she works full-time otherwise. And we've a hunch that the father will be a dead-beat. I hope they reach a solution.

But on the other hand . . .

Husbands/fathers can be dead-beats, too ~ sometimes an even bigger hindrance than being alone.

Two-parents homes are not always "happier"; whereas you can find some mighty well-adjusted kids in single-parent homes. But traditional families are still out there.

I never think of celebrities as normal people.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:12 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
How many parents are going to have 26 kids and grandkids combined? And why don't you back up your facts with some data on the subject.
AGE 26 is what he means. That's one of the first changes coming with insurance plans.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
The other poster was saying that kids can now stay on their parents health insurance policies until AGE 26.

Before you chew someones head off - you might want to read the post.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The other poster was saying that kids can now stay on their parents health insurance policies until AGE 26.

Before you chew someones head off - you might want to read the post.
So i misread it big flipping deal.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
AGE 26 is what he means. That's one of the first changes coming with insurance plans.

Got ya, i must of misread his post is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates