Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 PM

314 posts, read 189,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I do dirty jobs and wasn't able to get college. I get paid well, but lack for work.

Not everyone can hand drag torches into the woods in dead of winter and cut out a U Joint on a skidder, heat the wrenchs and install another U joint in the woods, laying in snow, ice and mud.

Working on cars sucks... Working on boat engine, and other engines 'sports' use is fun and you earn good dough and even get tips.

So far the engine I can't fix ain't been made yet, and I have no idea how many engine I ain't seem, but I know enough that I can fix them all.

I don't really care what another man does. But then there are some laywers I really don't like. There is a banker I don't like either.

I made an appt taking time off work to see him, get a bank note for a new truck and his aid said he was out. I left and came back after calling the next day and his aid said he was out. This time I was armed with a novel on the War of 1812 'No Ship may Sail', and that fat banker slob just coudn't miss lunch.

He was a tad late getting his lunch that day, because I forced him to close out my account, which was far over the loan I wanted.
He tried to pass that off on his aid too, but he failed at that, for fear of a bloody nose. He did mention I made a physical threat, and my answer was you can tell that to the cops with a bloody nose.

All he was, was a women in a man suit..

The day is coming you won't buy service cheap. Less and less real techs are interested, and no one is replacing them.
Can you fix a P & W 4360, 28cyl 56 valve 4-row radia engine?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:18 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperarmati View Post
More Junior High School-level gibberish. Your services are a commodity - period. Grow up and accept that. The sooner you do, the sooner you will have a chance at being success.

And I AM a corporateized zombie that has HiJacked YOUR money. thanks loads, sukka
Sorry master, I concede your infininite wisdom as being greater than all on the forum, all bow down to the semperarmati...........

Old 04-29-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Sorry master, I concede your infininite wisdom as being greater than all on the forum, all bow down to the semperarmati...........
Very good. What took you so long. Now dismiss yourself and don't be a dolt anymore.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Did you really think you were saying anything with your post about labor not being a commodity but a "human endeavor"? How could you be so naive and childish in your positions and not expect to get hammered.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:23 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
A friend of mine who works really really hard doing really physically draining highway maintenance work is paid poorly. He comes home from work emotionally and physically drained. But at the end he is just making enough money for basic survival. Another friend of ours makes close to $100K as a Cost Accountant. The job is not too hard for him but the bosses are pleased with his work. He got the job because he studied hard in school and got a Masters Degree in Accounting and has become an expert in Cost Accounting.

But should he make three times as much sitting in an office in 72 comfort in his own office as our other friend who makes 30K for busting his butt on the highway road project in extreme weather?
The market decides what any particular line of work is worth. People who work on the Alaskan pipeline probably out earn you accountant friend, because few people are willing to do the work.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:08 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Quote:
Did you really think you were saying anything with your post about labor not being a commodity but a "human endeavor"? How could you be so naive and childish in your positions and not expect to get hammered.
You are saying that human labor is simply a thing, a product and I'm saying that that kind of thinking has been part of the reason so many find the capitalistic view of labor contemptable. The fair assessment of labor's value has to include the human aspect of that "commodity" that's what separates it from any thing else in the market, in my view. My thoughts are presented here as my own form of contribution to the forum, the fact of your disagreement does nothing to persuade me to think otherwise.

I've read your posts and understand your position, that it isn't the same as mine is of little consequence to either of us. This forum was supposed to be free from the kind of crap you see on other boards wherein the posters are screaming their thoughts, that in my opinion is the ultimate in childishness. I read from the right to the left of most political issues and always find some common ground in it all, however, if you feel the need to "hammer" then hammer on.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:53 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
A friend of mine who works really really hard doing really physically draining highway maintenance work is paid poorly. He comes home from work emotionally and physically drained. But at the end he is just making enough money for basic survival. Another friend of ours makes close to $100K as a Cost Accountant. The job is not too hard for him but the bosses are pleased with his work. He got the job because he studied hard in school and got a Masters Degree in Accounting and has become an expert in Cost Accounting.

But should he make three times as much sitting in an office in 72 comfort in his own office as our other friend who makes 30K for busting his butt on the highway road project in extreme weather?
Morally, I'd say yes but capitalism dictates, at least in theory, that people should be paid according to their contribution to society and supply and demand. From that standpoint, the accountant is more valuable than somebody who pours concrete.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:08 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Labor is a human endeavor not a commodity, you seem to have the view favored by those corporatized zombies that just hi jacked your money and laughed about it.
Do you go to the sports forums and complain about not being on a professional team too? I mean, it's not fair that they have physical skills you don't and are paid more as a result.

Why don't you storm down to the local neurosurgeon and demand a job paying 300k while you are at it?

Hey, come by my office....we will pay you 100k...you do understand advanced statistics, finance and economics right? Surely you'd fit right into our department where "average" means you were in the top 1% of standardized testing. Hey, how hard could it be to get a PHD in statistics from the University of Chicago?

I come from a family full of laborers whom I greatly respect and they make decent livings. If you called me a hijacker of money around us at a bar while sharing a round, they'd beat your stupid ass and then we'd buy you another beer.

So stop generalizing and whining.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:20 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Morally, I'd say yes but capitalism dictates, at least in theory, that people should be paid according to their contribution to society and supply and demand. From that standpoint, the accountant is more valuable than somebody who pours concrete.

--people should be paid according to their contribution to society and supply and demand---

However, hiring of illegals should not be part of the supply and demand equation

Old 04-30-2010, 09:18 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Can you fix a P & W 4360, 28cyl 56 valve 4-row radia engine?
Yup, does this one have a mop bucket of a Stromberg carb on it? Came off a Wasp right? What are you using it for a boat? A real fast and big boat?

The labor is going to sting a little though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.