Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Yes, but of those 100 guys how many can run heavy equipment, are drug free and show up to work?
Good, experienced heavy equipment operators have skills that you can't just pick up quickly.

Therefore:
1) Make better money.
2) Aren't doing the really hard physical labor.

The guys that run the big cranes off-loading shipping containers make >100k and rightfully so....but again that's a skill.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
What is a cost accountant? Sounds like a job a housewife could do?
Ouch. Ignorance ftw.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
The belief that those who perform hard exertional work should be paid that of an educated professional is why the U.S. is falling behind India, Japan, and most other industrialized countries in highly educated and trained technical professionals. My sister never encouraged her kids to go to college and now her kids don't see the value of education for their children. As a result, they bust their asses at low paying jobs, and depend on family to help them make ends meet. There are plenty of people who go deeply into debt borrowing money for college tuition. It is unfortunate that higher education has become so expensive but, the bottom line is that the world economy demands highly educated workers in most high paying fields. There are a few exceptions, but not many. So, the days of getting a good paying job without at least 4 years of college are over. Whether you agree with whether that is fair doesn't matter; if Americans continue to fall behind other developed countries in education and advanced training, we will soon find ourselves in worse economic and political power than we already are.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:41 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
A friend of mine who works really really hard doing really physically draining highway maintenance work is paid poorly. He comes home from work emotionally and physically drained. But at the end he is just making enough money for basic survival. Another friend of ours makes close to $100K as a Cost Accountant. The job is not too hard for him but the bosses are pleased with his work. He got the job because he studied hard in school and got a Masters Degree in Accounting and has become an expert in Cost Accounting.

But should he make three times as much sitting in an office in 72 comfort in his own office as our other friend who makes 30K for busting his butt on the highway road project in extreme weather?
Now I'm just a kid but this is my opinion. I feel that they should be paid better. They are the backbone of society. The ones that hold everything up. Compare a lawyer working at a firm to a janitor in that firm. Who makes the building clean and takes out the trash? Who makes the office spotless while shining the windows and creating a perfect impression for the lawyer's clients? Think about our societys trash? So much trash. Who takes them all away? Who works the sewers? Etc. They are very much an important and extremely vital part of our society as your Master's Degree in Accounting friend. They should be paid just as much.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Now I'm just a kid but this is my opinion. I feel that they should be paid better. They are the backbone of society. The ones that hold everything up. Compare a lawyer working at a firm to a janitor in that firm. Who makes the building clean and takes out the trash? Who makes the office spotless while shining the windows and creating a perfect impression for the lawyer's clients? Think about our societys trash? So much trash. Who takes them all away? Who works the sewers? Etc. They are very much an important and extremely vital part of our society as your Master's Degree in Accounting friend. They should be paid just as much.
Well...

The lawyer can do the janitor's job.
The janitor cannot do the lawyer's job.

Therefore, the lawyer will get paid more. Period.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yep. Exactly.

Jtur88 earlier mentioned that it depends on what somebody is willing to pay, and what somebody is willing to accept.

If the employer cannot find people to show up sober and do a good job of operating the equipment, that job ends up bringing in more pay.

A buddy of mine was recently telling me about these "Skyscraper Crane" operators. The guys who have experience, and really know what they're doing, make $150 per hour or more. Is it worth it? Obviously it's worth it to the employers!
Omaha Rocks is right. I worked power plant construction for close to three decades and worked around a lot of crane operators. I have a lot of respect for those guys.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I was taught how to operate various machine tools, as well as a hand forge, before I graduated from high school. After Vietnam I was paid quite well for turning bars of titanium into jewel like instruments. When I got the opportunity to go to college I jumped at it with booth feet.

Since then I have made a decent living sitting at a desk and feeding a computer. When I retire in a few years I will get a forge and a hammer and, if my hands hold out, start forming hot steel into what ever I can imagine. Hard work that does not pay worth a damn but can be really satisfying.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,998,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
A friend of mine who works really really hard doing really physically draining highway maintenance work is paid poorly. He comes home from work emotionally and physically drained. But at the end he is just making enough money for basic survival. Another friend of ours makes close to $100K as a Cost Accountant. The job is not too hard for him but the bosses are pleased with his work. He got the job because he studied hard in school and got a Masters Degree in Accounting and has become an expert in Cost Accounting.

But should he make three times as much sitting in an office in 72 comfort in his own office as our other friend who makes 30K for busting his butt on the highway road project in extreme weather?
Why doesn't your friend ask for more money if his job is worth more?

Why don't the bosses hire someone cheaper since $100k is too much for a guy sitting behind a desk?

It seems like you think pay rate is just an arbitrary number.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Omaha Rocks is right. I worked power plant construction for close to three decades and worked around a lot of crane operators. I have a lot of respect for those guys.
Yep.

If you are well skilled - due to education and/or experience - to do a highly demanding job, you're good to go. If it's also a job that few people can do, you're even better off.

My primary source of income is from just such a job. White collar. Terminal degree & proven successful experience necessary. Though I absolutely love the job, not many people would or could do it. So guess what? I am paid very well.

And that's the way it goes.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,216 times
My husband works a physical job and is paid well--so there is some of that out there. I do think that people who bust their butt and are emotionally and physically drained at the end of the day should make more than menial jobs though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates