Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:32 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,419,170 times

Advertisements

Try it before you buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 08:34 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,723,813 times
I wonder how differently America would look, and work, if people actually did wait until marriage for sex.

- There would be far less poverty.
- There would almost certainly be far less crime.
- There would be far more productivity in the workplace.
- Our taxes would be considerably lower.

I could live with that.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
Try it before you buy it.
And the counter-point is, why buy the cow when you can get all the milk for free.

Unfortunately, pithy little cliches don't anybody much good.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:36 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,557,336 times
not true its not the only thing you can and will give your husband there is always the divorce$$$ and the MC bills.
as to celibacy. women have not avoided pregnancy by celibacy they did it by the pill.
guys need a pill badly to kill sex drive. w/o male sex drive the entire nasty little game collapses. the church will be thrilled utter purity forever. lots and lots of beautiful spotless columbariums.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not true its not the only thing you can and will give your husband there is always the divorce$$$ and the MC bills.
as to celibacy. women have not avoided pregnancy by celibacy they did it by the pill.
guys need a pill badly to kill sex drive. w/o male sex drive the entire nasty little game collapses. the church will be thrilled utter purity forever. lots and lots of beautiful spotless columbariums.
Now if only you could write that in a way that makes sense, we'd be able to understand you.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:47 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,557,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Now if only you could write that in a way that makes sense, we'd be able to understand you.
for most it will not make sense fewer will actually understand it.
but to be on topic, for the most part concepts of purity and morality fell apart 50 years ago. fidelity purity respect are the driving forces behind abstaining from sexual activity. i say these thing to you not so that you will understand but so your post will look less like an attack.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
for most it will not make sense fewer will actually understand it.
but to be on topic, for the most part concepts of purity and morality fell apart 50 years ago. fidelity purity respect are the driving forces behind abstaining from sexual activity. i say these thing to you not so that you will understand but so your post will look less like an attack.
I'm talking practical, and being pragmatic here.

I fail to understand how & why people think that having sex is some sort of slap against religion. It's not. But that mindset does give a glimpse into why so many people are so unhappy sexually.

It doesn't take a genius to see that teenagers having sex - and dealing with the consequences that inevitably follow - is bad for a society.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,435,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I wonder how differently America would look, and work, if people actually did wait until marriage for sex.

- There would be far less poverty.
- There would almost certainly be far less crime.
- There would be far more productivity in the workplace.
- Our taxes would be considerably lower.

I could live with that.
Actually crime rate was higher in our past history, when sex before marriage didn't happen very often (well, except with prostitutes anyway).

I'm not sure where you get the no poverty thing from? I'm pretty sure if you asked your average citizen in England during the middle ages if they had lots of money, they'd probably slap you, and sex outside of marriage was outlawed under much of that time.

Why would productivity in the workplace increase? I think the more sex men are capable of having, the harder they work for it.

Why would our taxes be lower? Unwed mothers on welfare? Different topic all together.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Actually crime rate was higher in our past history, when sex before marriage didn't happen very often (well, except with prostitutes anyway).

I'm not sure where you get the no poverty thing from? I'm pretty sure if you asked your average citizen in England during the middle ages if they had lots of money, they'd probably slap you, and sex outside of marriage was outlawed under much of that time.

Why would productivity in the workplace increase? I think the more sex men are capable of having, the harder they work for it.

Why would our taxes be lower? Unwed mothers on welfare? Different topic all together.
First of all, people have been having sex before marriage for as long as there have been people, and there has been marriage.

Second, I did not say NO poverty or crime. I said FAR LESS.

Fewer teenage pregnancies means fewer people living in poverty.
As Teen Pregnancy Dropped, So Did Child Poverty (washingtonpost.com)

Fewer people living in poverty means lower crime.
Does Poverty Cause Crime? | eHow.com

Fewer people in prison means more people to work at paying jobs. More work at paying jobs means a broader tax base, with fewer welfare (I'm using the term very loosely) recipients. This would lead to more people paying taxes, and less people living off said taxes. It also means more people would be sharing the tax burden, which would lower everyone's taxes.

Here's the crux of the matter: Studies have shown that pregnancy is typically caused by having sex (I just realized this, now that all of my kids are adults ).

If teenagers were not having sex (I realize this isn't going to happen in the real world) there would be no teen pregnancies.

Would saving sex for marriage - and the obvious fact that that means teens are not having recreational sex - be better for society? Yes. Absolutely!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:35 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,326,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
I wanted to get off the immigration and such for awhile.
So here it goes, my daughter is 19-20 in December-and is still a virgin. Now the debate is did I pound into her too much that it is the one thing that boys want after a date or its because it is the only thing you can truely give your husband that noone else has. I don't know if I have done right by her, she has yet to keep a boyfriend over 6 months. I know she is young, but I was married by her age.

Opinions do matter here.

Well, she's entering the age where purity won't matter so much. I'm all for keeping the legs closed during the teen years; girls often give in to sex for the wrong reasons, anyway, and I don't think kids are cautious enough with prevention.

Teenage motherhood is the fastest route to poverty there is.

But once they've phased into their 20's, and have a pretty good idea of where they'll be in life (to a point), I think they're more responsible with their choices.

A man who place too high a premium on virginity is questionable to me.

I waited until I was in my 20's. Didn't care whether I was one of the few who did or not. Nothing freaked me out worse than the idea of being "stuck" with a baby, and in high school I didn't socialize. My best friends were married and became parents before age 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates