U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,579 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488

Advertisements

CFS II is a debt collection company scouting sites in Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point and in Nevada. While the jobs don't sound sexy, after all its a call center, the salaries are decent and we are talking about 2,000 jobs. The salary starts out at around $45,000 with some positions over $100,000 per year.

Apparently High Point is dropping its incentives after the city found found out that Greensboro said they were going to offer more incentives that Winston-Salem and High Point. Some how Greensboro city staff discovered information that was discussed in a closed session meeting in High Point.

High Point pulls bid for CFS call center | MyFOX8.com

I don't think it matters which Triad city gets it, The jobs would be good for our area. It is unfortunate Greensboro leaders were sneaking around like 007 releasing High Point information not meant to be public. We should avoid a bidding war at all cost. Its not healthy for the Triad to be doing this. Its the reason why it's so difficult to get the Triad cities to work together.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-20-2012 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2012, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,753 posts, read 4,226,868 times
Reputation: 3817
I think it's a good thing. It shows that there is enough demand from the cities. Look at a place like Martinsville, VA, where I come from. They would kill to be in the running for some of these companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2012, 10:47 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Reputation: 32143
Greensboro can have the jobs...
I'll be happy with the 800 or so higher paid folks just living in W-S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2012, 04:50 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
CFS II is a debt collection company scouting sites in Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point and in Nevada. While the jobs don't sound sexy, after all its a call center, the salaries are decent and we are talking about 2,000 jobs. The salary starts out at around $45,000 with some positions over $100,000 per year.

Apparently High Point is dropping its incentives after the city found found out that Greensboro said they were going to offer more incentives that Winston-Salem and High Point. Some how Greensboro city staff discovered information that was discussed in a closed session meeting in High Point.

High Point pulls bid for CFS call center | MyFOX8.com

I don't think it matters which Triad city gets it, The jobs would be good for our area. It is unfortunate Greensboro leaders were sneaking around like 007 releasing High Point information not meant to be public. We should avoid a bidding war at all cost. Its not healthy for the Triad to be doing this. Its the reason why it's so difficult to get the Triad cities to work together.
Ohio is on the plate too.
I don't know about W-S or if High Point would even have the space but there is a recently vacated building in Greensboro that essentially is move-in ready. From a tax base stand point it matters signifcantly to a city where the facility is located as they get the property tax revenue.
High Point is out of it's league, as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
302 posts, read 536,849 times
Reputation: 268
It's not unusual for Greensboro to be throwing it's hat into the ring...as it's city councilmen/women must be desparate for job creation or recruitment after losing 1200 AmEx jobs, and just this spring 685 more call center jobs, after Winston-Salem has already voted on incentives for this company. And how odd the N&R mentions the 'gentlemen's agreement' amongst the Triad cities, yet Greensboro is, again, trying to up the offer, and steal the thunder from Winston-Salem. If there exists such an understood agreement, where are the gentlemen in Greensboro? It's no wonder there is ever any consensus or trust between the two business communities, or ever will be. Greensboro's only grateful, and jealous, that High Point has dropped out of the running after recruiting several times the jobs to the Triad that Greensboro has in the last year or so. No matter how many thousand people it has more of over Winston-Salem, or how many more restaurants, shopping, or four-lane roads Greensboro has, it is in decline. If I'm wrong, then why is H&M, Coach, Trader Joes, and others setting up shop in Winston-Salem, and not Greensboro. I don't think it's because of the city's "attitude" or a lack of casual shoppers in their gym shorts. Winston-Salem has more money to pony up to the plate, regardless of a so called bidding war. This has been proven for years in it's higher medium income, unsurpassed giving to the arts and charities, such as United Way, and it's wealth second only to the Duke Endowment in one NC city in the area of charitable foundations.
Triadism is virtually nonexistent. So much for the joke of a "GSO" airport, if you have to fly out on a connecting flight through Charlotte, a true hub. The PTIA only benefits Guilford, and Greensboro, as a recruiting tool for FexEX, HondaJet, and the like, with the help and support of friends in Forsyth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
It's not unusual for Greensboro to be throwing it's hat into the ring...as it's city councilmen/women must be desparate for job creation or recruitment after losing 1200 AmEx jobs, and just this spring 685 more call center jobs, after Winston-Salem has already voted on incentives for this company. And how odd the N&R mentions the 'gentlemen's agreement' amongst the Triad cities, yet Greensboro is, again, trying to up the offer, and steal the thunder from Winston-Salem. If there exists such an understood agreement, where are the gentlemen in Greensboro? It's no wonder there is ever any consensus or trust between the two business communities, or ever will be. Greensboro's only grateful, and jealous, that High Point has dropped out of the running after recruiting several times the jobs to the Triad that Greensboro has in the last year or so. No matter how many thousand people it has more of over Winston-Salem, or how many more restaurants, shopping, or four-lane roads Greensboro has, it is in decline. If I'm wrong, then why is H&M, Coach, Trader Joes, and others setting up shop in Winston-Salem, and not Greensboro. I don't think it's because of the city's "attitude" or a lack of casual shoppers in their gym shorts. Winston-Salem has more money to pony up to the plate, regardless of a so called bidding war. This has been proven for years in it's higher medium income, unsurpassed giving to the arts and charities, such as United Way, and it's wealth second only to the Duke Endowment in one NC city in the area of charitable foundations.
Triadism is virtually nonexistent. So much for the joke of a "GSO" airport, if you have to fly out on a connecting flight through Charlotte, a true hub. The PTIA only benefits Guilford, and Greensboro, as a recruiting tool for FexEX, HondaJet, and the like, with the help and support of friends in Forsyth.
Your basis for Greensboro being in decline is because of a few chain stores opening up in W-S first?
W-S also had Costco and Whole Foods first. Big deal!
Looks like you forgot about Reynold's Tobacco layoffs earlier, the closing of Dell, and not to mention the ball park W-S just had to build, even if taxpayers had to foot a chunk of the bill. Then we have the Joel Coliseum, another must have for Winston, that is under consideration to be sold, last I heard.
You really want to compare airports?
As for High Point as soon as the northeast corner, the corner that butts up to Greensboro, gets plugged up with no room left to grow that will be the end of their little growth spurt. Keeping in mind the mall is now owned by a university and while they now have an Olive Garden it was built in the NE corner to get bleed-off from Jamestown & Greensboro. High Point's idea of a downtown resurrection was to hang banners from lamp posts.
As the more level headed ones have discussed previously neither city is a clear winner over the other, but next time you want to spew off about Greensboro take off the rose colored glasses first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
302 posts, read 536,849 times
Reputation: 268
There are no rose coloured glasses here, thanx. I'm very much a realist. And besides, I don't live in Greensboro, or Winston-Salem, but I know plenty about both, and what is going on in the business or economic world of both cities. What I stated are facts, not opinions, but if anyone wants my opinion I am certainly welcome to give it...after all, this forum is full of them. My comment about decline in Greensboro has to do with the fact that it is bleeding more jobs than it is creating or retaining. Sure Winston-Salem has lost jobs at RJR....it has lost jobs on that front since the early 90's, but that city has put into place efforts in medical, biotechnical, the arts, and research to lure jobs that are much different than the old economy empolyers such as tobacco and textiles. Sure it gained, then lost Dell, but Winston-Salem came out better with a state of the art facility available for another business, and got back all the millions it promised to Dell because they defaulted on their agreement. W-S and it's MSA within the last 6 months have created hundreds of jobs at Inmar, Ashley Furniture Distribution. If Greensboro is doing the same, I'd like to know where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 11:56 AM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
There are no rose coloured glasses here, thanx. I'm very much a realist. And besides, I don't live in Greensboro, or Winston-Salem, but I know plenty about both, and what is going on in the business or economic world of both cities. What I stated are facts, not opinions, but if anyone wants my opinion I am certainly welcome to give it...after all, this forum is full of them. My comment about decline in Greensboro has to do with the fact that it is bleeding more jobs than it is creating or retaining. Sure Winston-Salem has lost jobs at RJR....it has lost jobs on that front since the early 90's, but that city has put into place efforts in medical, biotechnical, the arts, and research to lure jobs that are much different than the old economy empolyers such as tobacco and textiles. Sure it gained, then lost Dell, but Winston-Salem came out better with a state of the art facility available for another business, and got back all the millions it promised to Dell because they defaulted on their agreement. W-S and it's MSA within the last 6 months have created hundreds of jobs at Inmar, Ashley Furniture Distribution. If Greensboro is doing the same, I'd like to know where they are.
Then your point is moot, but oddly you criticize Greensboro for trying to bring in jobs.
Unlike you I have live in the triad all my life and have seen and read what you, apparently, have only read about.
It is not uncommon at all to see a business set up shop in one, but wait a few years before setting up shop in the other; for me that is of no significance. It only become significant when the venture fails for one or the other.
And since you claim to know plenty about both cities, you will understand that job losses of this magnitude are not replaced overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 PM
 
8 posts, read 9,768 times
Reputation: 11
I started to make a venting post about debt collection agencies, their awful tactics, the numerous scam calls I receive each day .... until I researched this company, CFS II.
Unlike other debt collection agencies, this one appears to be legitimate and does not employ harassment techniques of many others in their field. I hope this company does come to our area - I would definitely apply for a position there.

CFS II CEO Bill Bartmann takes open approach in call center search - Greensboro - The Business Journal
CFS II Testimonials
CFS II - Consumer Rights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOKN4RENTAL View Post
I started to make a venting post about debt collection agencies, their awful tactics, the numerous scam calls I receive each day .... until I researched this company, CFS II.
Unlike other debt collection agencies, this one appears to be legitimate and does not employ harassment techniques of many others in their field. I hope this company does come to our area - I would definitely apply for a position there.

CFS II CEO Bill Bartmann takes open approach in call center search - Greensboro - The Business Journal
CFS II Testimonials
CFS II - Consumer Rights
Hmmm, you sound like a friend of mine; a reasonably intelligent person who knows the consumer rights when it comes to debt colllection, yet he is too dumb to realize if he would pay as he agreed they wouldn't be calling in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top