Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:06 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times

Advertisements

^ Agree, it's a good store no matter the location. While the Valle Crucis location is special, the others are always worth a visit. No doubt this will bring even more people downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 10:30 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
We visited one in Banner Elk and if it's like that one $1.3 mil is about $1.2 mil too much IMO.
I agree. This is great for downtown Winston-Salem but 1.3 million is waaay too much for a general store. This is not Saks Fifth Avenue. $200,000 should be the max for a business this size. But it will be a great addition for downtown

Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM

322 posts, read 666,931 times
Read the whole article. This is not like city council is throwing $1.2 million to the wind for a business to open downtown. This deal involves more than just Mast....it includes building renovations and apartments to be built in an effort to lure the store to downtown Winston-Salem. And the city has clawbacks tied to it's deals, just like Dell, Caterpillar, and Inmar....so that it's money has strings attached.

City OKs incentive deal for Mast | JournalNow.com

Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I agree. This is great for downtown Winston-Salem but 1.3 million is waaay too much for a general store. This is not Saks Fifth Avenue. $200,000 should be the max for a business this size. But it will be a great addition for downtown
Mast General will do much better than a Saks would do in downtown Winston-Salem...I'm sure you love to belittle anything going on outside of Greensboro, but this is a big deal and you know GSO would do anything to get a store like this in its downtown.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Mast General will do much better than a Saks would do in downtown Winston-Salem...I'm sure you love to belittle anything going on outside of Greensboro, but this is a big deal and you know GSO would do anything to get a store like this in its downtown.
I was going to write an explanation but this > will do in respect to your statement.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Oh I forgot, Greensboro is getting a full service grocery store downtown. Believe me, more people would rather have that.

All I was saying is that its a lot of incentive money. It will still be a great addition for Winston-Salem.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Mast General will definitely be a coup for downtown Winston-Salem. The store tends to have a ripple effect in the immediate area with other retail and restaurant establishments following.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Mast General will definitely be a coup for downtown Winston-Salem. The store tends to have a ripple effect in the immediate area with other retail and restaurant establishments following.
I think it great having this store, but should government be giving corporate welfare for retail?
If does have the ripple effect as you state with retail & restaurant, wouldn't it have a ripple effect on them asking for the same incentives?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Oh I forgot, Greensboro is getting a full service grocery store downtown. Believe me, more people would rather have that.

All I was saying is that its a lot of incentive money. It will still be a great addition for Winston-Salem.
A small, locally-owned "grocery store". Don't act like a Harris Teeter is opening in downtown Greensboro.

I've read your other posting on this and other sites. We all know that isn't all you're saying...you are constantly putting down Winston-Salem and talking up Greensboro - you might as well just own it.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,924 times
Quote:
corporate welfare
You're misappropriating the term.

Corporate welfare is "bailing out" or otherwise helping businesses that are doing poorly. And more often than not it refers to large corporations (see the auto bailout)

Incentives for popular, growing businesses to open in a particular area are not new. And if the store actually proves popular and attracts other businesses to the area, it will more than pay for itself.

There is absolutely no way downtown Winston would have made the improvements that it has if the city didn't do things to draw in businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point