Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:03 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I try to stay away from HP all year. It annoys my friends.
I see you live in Winston, so it can't be that hard to do. Being an ex-resident it's a s****y feeling when the city you live in only cares about an exaggerated twice per year event while effectively ignoring residents.
I'm in northern Davidson County...about the same distance from HP and Winston. I just figure the new facility can only be a good thing. If the public has access to it 48+ weeks per year, that's 48 more weeks than now - it's not like it's taking anything significant away. HP has so little to offer that I think this has the potential to be a very big deal, especially if they're able to attract events beyond the 70 or so days for baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 02:01 PM

The article is behind a paywall, but the Triad Business Journal reported today "High Point will interview two candidates for stadium project" and said "The city said it has a commitment from the independent Atlantic League to provide a franchise to High Point if the stadium is built and suitable ownership emerges."

Old 05-17-2017, 12:03 PM

6,158 posts, read 7,226,364 times
High Point University's Nido Qubein to lead stadium effort. Hes also going to raise money to build an events center, children's museum and park to be built near the ballpark.

High Point University's Nido Qubein to lead stadium effort | Local News | greensboro.com

http://myfox8.com/2017/05/17/plans-s...in-high-point/

Old 05-17-2017, 04:26 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
City of High Point University.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
City of High Point University.
I don't see anything particularly wrong with this - if HP becomes known primarily as the home of HPU, it wouldn't be the first time a town/city is known for a university and not much else. HPU needs better national recognition, but that takes time (and other factors of course).

I see nothing but good for HP from the new ballpark, and with Dr. Qubein promoting it (and planning HPU's own projects nearby), I feel confident that this development will actually happen.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:43 PM

In addition to what I mentioned. A developer is looking to build up to 300 apartments and a hotel near the ballpark. It would be a similar project to developments going on around Greensboro's and Winston-Salem's ballpark.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/new...amenities.html

Old 05-20-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I don't see anything particularly wrong with this - if HP becomes known primarily as the home of HPU, it wouldn't be the first time a town/city is known for a university and not much else. HPU needs better national recognition, but that takes time (and other factors of course).

I see nothing but good for HP from the new ballpark, and with Dr. Qubein promoting it (and planning HPU's own projects nearby), I feel confident that this development will actually happen.
The jab wasn't a dig against HP being the home of HPU rather HP attaining the reputation of being a two career town; furniture and HPU.
I appreciate if you want to be upbeat and positive about HP but, I grew up there, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:49 PM

Interesting renderings of the stadium complex which includes a soccer field. You can see some residential development around the ballpark and even what appears to be a 7 story office building across from the soccer field. Not sure if those are proposals or are just there to show what could be built around High Point's downtown ballpark. Because High Point is too close to Greensboro, minor league baseball won't allow them to have an affiliated team so they will have a team in the Independent League. Excellent design! The retro trend is finally gone. New ballparks today are more modern. This trend in North Carolina started in Charlotte and Fayetteville is going with a modern design as well. It looks like Guilford County is going to have two great downtown ballparks with some very nice surrounding development. This must be the final design. Looks like High Point may also have a 9 story building overlooking the field like Greensboro. Looks like it's a hotel with parking beneath it. Greensboro is going to have an addtional tower overlooking its ballpark reaching as high as 28 stories. Come on Winston-Salem and get something going so all the Triad cities have some nice surrounding ballpark development. Hopefully they will update plans for something taller overlooking the field. High Point is trying to stand toe to toe with its bigger neighbors.

Artist rendering of High Point stadium complex approved in May by the city council. (Image from Odell Associates)

Not bad for a city of 110,000 people.

http://barbourspangle.com/wp-content.../05/Photo4.jpg

http://barbourspangle.com/wp-content.../05/Photo3.jpg

http://barbourspangle.com/wp-content.../05/Photo2.jpg

http://barbourspangle.com/wp-content.../05/Photo1.jpg

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-09-2017 at 09:39 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Interesting renderings of the stadium complex which includes a soccer field. You can see some residential development around the ballpark and even what appears to be a 7 story office building across from the soccer field. Not sure if those are proposals or are just there to show what could be built around High Point's downtown ballpark. Because High Point is too close to Greensboro, minor league baseball won't allow them to have an affiliated team so they will have a team in the Independent League. Excellent design! The retro trend is finally gone. New ballparks today are more modern. This trend in North Carolina started in Charlotte. It looks like Guilford County is going to have two great downtown ballparks with some very nice surrounding development. This must be the final design. Looks like High Point may also have a 9 story building overlooking the field. Looks like it's a hotel with parking beneath it. Come on Winston-Salem and get something going so all the Triad cities have some nice surrounding ballpark development. Hopefully they will update plans for something taller overlooking the field. High Point is trying to stand toe to toe with its bigger neighbors.

Artist rendering of High Point stadium complex approved in May by the city council. (Image from Odell Associates)

http://barbourspangle.com/wp-content.../05/Photo4.jpg

http://barbourspangle.com/wp-content.../05/Photo3.jpg

http://barbourspangle.com/wp-content.../05/Photo2.jpg

http://barbourspangle.com/wp-content.../05/Photo1.jpg
You're talking like this is a done deal as far as the proposed development around the stadium is concerned. FNB & BBT parks are decades ahead of anything HP will do. FNB has been around for over a decade and has only seen major development around the stadium in the last few years. Don't get your hopes up that this will occur any faster in HP. HP has a serious issue in that it's downtown is dead. It struggles to support the one large hotel there already. I can't see a nine story hotel doing anything but compounding the problem.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:37 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,003 times
Quote:
You're talking like this is a done deal as far as the proposed development around the stadium is concerned. FNB & BBT parks are decades ahead of anything HP will do. FNB has been around for over a decade and has only seen major development around the stadium in the last few years. Don't get your hopes up that this will occur any faster in HP. HP has a serious issue in that it's downtown is dead. It struggles to support the one large hotel there already. I can't see a nine story hotel doing anything but compounding the problem.
True, downtown highpoint is completely dead, not in the sense that it does not have anything, just decades of zoning issues and no loitering laws killed any hope of downtown HP becoming a thriving and vibrant place like it's bigger neighbors, a plan like this should have been put into action a decade or two ago before downtown just became one big showroom. But I still have hope, however. It took Winston Salem and Greensboro 20+ years to get their downtowns to where they are today. High Point has a long way to go.

This could definitely benefit nicely from the furniture market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point