Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 12:07 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that. People will say Matthews or Huntersville is Charlotte. Thats not the case with Greensboro. Oak Ridge is Oak Ridge and Summerfield is Summerfield here. However the Greensboro Visitors and Convention Bureau likes to make it seem like the North Carolina Zoo is in Greensboro lol. What a slap in the face to Asheboro. People often make the mistake of thinking the Charlotte Motor Speedway is in Charlotte but its actually in Concord.

Unfortunately the small communities around Greensboro and Winston-Salem saw it coming. They incorporated so they couldn't be annexed. Otherwise Summerfield and Oak Ridge would be Greensboro . I dont think its right. They come into Greensboro using city services like they live in Greensboro and dont pay city taxes. That was the motivation for incorporation along with protecting suburban rural life.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-24-2017 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 12:11 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
I hate that people consider the outskirts of Charlotte Charlotte also! Like concord Ballantyne Indian trail matthews. Really where are all the good areas in actual Charlotte? Doesn't seem like there are many, and people mix Cary apex wakforest mooresville and all the little cities around raliegh into living in Raleigh also but it's not Raleigh! Greensboro doesn't get that luxury niether does Winston. If people live in kernersville they don't say Winston they say kville if you live in stokesdale younsay stocksdale. Maybe the big triad cities should just annex all the surrounding cities like Raleigh and Charlotte does. When's the last time you heard somebody actually say they live in concord and not say they live in Charlotte?
Ballantyne is in Charlotte; it is not its own municipality. And you know little to nothing about Charlotte if you think there aren't many "good areas" within Charlotte itself.

Even so, I think it's a good thing that folks from suburban Charlotte identify with Charlotte. Otherwise, it could be like folks from the Detroit suburbs who would rather die than say they are from the Detroit area.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:39 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
I'd imagine that if you were in Charlotte and asked someone where they lived, they'd say "Concord" or "Ballentyne" if that was the case. Just like if people from Oak Ridge were in Charlotte or Atlanta and someone asked them where they lived, they'd likely say "Greensboro" or "just outside Greensboro."

These things are situational.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:52 PM

239 posts, read 306,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ballantyne is in Charlotte; it is not its own municipality. And you know little to nothing about Charlotte if you think there aren't many "good areas" within Charlotte itself.

Even so, I think it's a good thing that folks from suburban Charlotte identify with Charlotte. Otherwise, it could be like folks from the Detroit suburbs who would rather die than say they are from the Detroit area.
Maybe your right I don't know Charlotte because I haven't taken the time to because I'm not really impressed. But I'm in Charlotte once every other week and I've been all over Charlotte and I haven't seen the great areas Besides for maybe uptown and some of south side I don't see what all the hype is about honestly. Maybe because I'm from a bigger city, I feel like Charlotte is a over hyped. If your from the north east or Chicago or atl or any other big cities I don't see why you'd be impressed with Charlotte. I moved from up north and chose the triad over Charlotte and Raleigh so maybe I'm biased.

I think anybody moving from a large city should give the triad a strong look because you have access to both cities raliegh and Charlotte and Greensboro.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:04 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
I hate that people consider the outskirts of Charlotte Charlotte also! Like concord Ballantyne Indian trail matthews. Really where are all the good areas in actual Charlotte? Doesn't seem like there are many, and people mix Cary apex wakforest mooresville and all the little cities around raliegh into living in Raleigh also but it's not Raleigh! Greensboro doesn't get that luxury niether does Winston. If people live in kernersville they don't say Winston they say kville if you live in stokesdale younsay stocksdale. Maybe the big triad cities should just annex all the surrounding cities like Raleigh and Charlotte does. When's the last time you heard somebody actually say they live in concord and not say they live in Charlotte?
This is what happens when you have a large growing city surrounded by smaller towns and cities that feed off the core city.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:20 PM

536 posts, read 639,413 times
Isn't Winston being the City of the Arts and a major Moravian colonial settlement enough for it stand out compared to Raleigh and Charlotte? I mean in some ways it IS unique for North Carolina

Old 10-25-2017, 05:07 AM

193 posts, read 158,792 times
Trust me ive been in NC for a decade now and I can say from my experience that Charlotte is a bit over hyped , I do think its a great place to find work in , just like the RTP area ill give it that. Definitely not the worst cities though I would pick Clt over Gboro anyday

Old 10-25-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
Trust me ive been in NC for a decade now and I can say from my experience that Charlotte is a bit over hyped , I do think its a great place to find work in , just like the RTP area ill give it that. Definitely not the worst cities though I would pick Clt over Gboro anyday
Depends on what your looking for. If I'm raising a family I wouldn't pick Charlotte over the triad but if your young and looking for a banking job or along those lines Charlotte would be better. Greensboro has to find a lane and build on it like insurance that would be a good start. Charlotte has banking triangle has technology triad could have insurance, and factory work.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:01 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Maybe your right I don't know Charlotte because I haven't taken the time to because I'm not really impressed. But I'm in Charlotte once every other week and I've been all over Charlotte and I haven't seen the great areas Besides for maybe uptown and some of south side I don't see what all the hype is about honestly. Maybe because I'm from a bigger city, I feel like Charlotte is a over hyped. If your from the north east or Chicago or atl or any other big cities I don't see why you'd be impressed with Charlotte. I moved from up north and chose the triad over Charlotte and Raleigh so maybe I'm biased.

I think anybody moving from a large city should give the triad a strong look because you have access to both cities raliegh and Charlotte and Greensboro.
Why live in the Triad for access to overhyped Charlotte? How would that be a positive from your perspective?

You don't know Charlotte and you're not impressed, but you hate that folks from suburban Charlotte identify with Charlotte? Why? Seems like you wouldn't even care.

And I don't know how you define "good areas" in your former "bigger city" or whatever, but Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, Myers Park, Elizabeth, Ballantyne, Steele Creek, Providence, etc. are all nice neighborhoods within Charlotte.

Why were you impressed with the Triad coming from your "bigger city"?

Old 10-25-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why live in the Triad for access to overhyped Charlotte? How would that be a positive from your perspective?

You don't know Charlotte and you're not impressed, but you hate that folks from suburban Charlotte identify with Charlotte? Why? Seems like you wouldn't even care.

And I don't know how you define "good areas" in your former "bigger city" or whatever, but Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, Myers Park, Elizabeth, Ballantyne, Steele Creek, Providence, etc. are all nice neighborhoods within Charlotte.

Why were you impressed with the Triad coming from your "bigger city"?
I wouldn't move to the triad just for access to way over hyped Charlotte, I moved to the triad for the access to every major city in nc. I can go to raliegh downtown to get a drink one day and go to a hornets game the next day so it feels like I still live in the dmv area. I'd be bored with just Charlotte or just Raleigh so I like having the best of both worlds and being able to come home to no traffic and peaceful living. Not to mention being close to beaches or mountains and being able to hit 40 w to Tennessee or any other west states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point