Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:33 AM

10 posts, read 58,289 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm a single 37yo white male now living in Tennessee near Ft.Campbell in Clarksville which is a rapidly growing small city of 103,000 people with another 30,000 + on the military base. I've been searching for information online about places in North Carolina and am curious about Asheboro as I desire to move from my area this Spring.

What I want to get away from where I am now in Clarksville, TN:

1 - Crowded and dangerous roads. Ft. Campbell Blvd has one of the highest accident rates in the USA of any road.
2 - Corruption in local police and politics. Police dept has been sued by numerous former officers. Mayorial issues and "good old boy" politics.
3 - Rapidly growing crime. Murders have become weekly news. Gang problems. Crime expanding into all parts of the city.
4 - Racial problems. Racial motivated crime, school racial problems, gang issues.
5- Very poor schools. A kid is lucky to have a textbook by December. The worst education and school leadership I've ever known of anyplace.

I've found some information on Asheboro which includes:

1 - Race: White 65%, Hispanic 20%, Black 12% I'm okay with this as currently my city is also 65% white. However is there racial problems and tensions in Asheboro? I am not a bigot but also do not want to have problems because I am white.

2 - Education: High School or higher 69% Not as high as I'd prefer since I'm college educated but are the schools there well funded and progressing?

3 - Nearest City with population 50,000 = High Point, 200,000 = Greensboro Any information on these two neighbor cities to Asheboro would be helpful.

4 - # Median house value below state average.
# Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
# Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
# Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
# Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
# Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.

Not the greatest report with number 4. How accurate is this information?

If you would rate on a scale of 1 to 10 how desireable Asheboro is for a small city to live in where would you rate it?

Any comments or information about Asheboro would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 07:26 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,411,327 times
Don't have all the answers for you, but it is a small city. People go near there to visit the State Zoo (which is one of the best in the country, by the way), but I've never seen anything else there to do.

You ask about Asheboro to any NC person who's not actually from it...first thing comes to their mind: ZOO. Anything else? Um, nope. That's all we know! LOL

Old 12-11-2006, 08:56 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,013,433 times
Quickfacts from the Bureau of the Census

Asheboro (City)

http://censtats.census.gov/data/NC/1603702080.pdf

High Point (City)

High Point (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Greensboro (City)

Greensboro (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Last edited by mm34b; 11-28-2007 at 07:22 PM..

Old 12-11-2006, 08:56 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNMale37 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm a single 37yo white male now living in Tennessee near Ft.Campbell in Clarksville which is a rapidly growing small city of 103,000 people with another 30,000 + on the military base. I've been searching for information online about places in North Carolina and am curious about Asheboro as I desire to move from my area this Spring.

What I want to get away from where I am now in Clarksville, TN:

1 - Crowded and dangerous roads. Ft. Campbell Blvd has one of the highest accident rates in the USA of any road.
2 - Corruption in local police and politics. Police dept has been sued by numerous former officers. Mayorial issues and "good old boy" politics.
3 - Rapidly growing crime. Murders have become weekly news. Gang problems. Crime expanding into all parts of the city.
4 - Racial problems. Racial motivated crime, school racial problems, gang issues.
5- Very poor schools. A kid is lucky to have a textbook by December. The worst education and school leadership I've ever known of anyplace.

I've found some information on Asheboro which includes:

1 - Race: White 65%, Hispanic 20%, Black 12% I'm okay with this as currently my city is also 65% white. However is there racial problems and tensions in Asheboro? I am not a bigot but also do not want to have problems because I am white.

2 - Education: High School or higher 69% Not as high as I'd prefer since I'm college educated but are the schools there well funded and progressing?

3 - Nearest City with population 50,000 = High Point, 200,000 = Greensboro Any information on these two neighbor cities to Asheboro would be helpful.

4 - # Median house value below state average.
# Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
# Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
# Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
# Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
# Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.

Not the greatest report with number 4. How accurate is this information?

If you would rate on a scale of 1 to 10 how desireable Asheboro is for a small city to live in where would you rate it?

Any comments or information about Asheboro would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Just curious, why Asheboro? Are you open to any small town are do you have to go there for work purposes?

Old 12-11-2006, 10:30 AM

15 posts, read 129,081 times
Asheboro is a dry town in a dry county, so restaurant choices are very limited. The data you have posted is pretty accurate. There are many good people there, but it wouldn't be my first choice for places to live. The Greensboro-High Point-Winston Salem Triad is about 30 minutes to the north. that is a much nicer area.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the replies so far.

Why Asheboro? No specific reason, anyplace nice will do. I have family in the military who are going to be stationed in NC and would like to be closer to them but not live in a military town again.

In my own personal life, the time is also right for a move as my 15yo moved into his mothers and I'm not in any serious relationship.

Apart from family to be in NC, I also have always loved trees, mountains, rivers and the ocean. I truly feel from my travels through NC that it is one of the most beautiful places on this Earth.

Asheboro being a dry town in a dry county is okay with me. I very seldom drink. As far as restaurants go, they are nice but then I do cook very well.

City Size: I want a place large enough to have some activities but not so large that sprawl or crime is a problem. So I am basically open to any town/city which is under 75,000 people but at least 15,000.

Employment: I've always been a hard worker and have a college degree in legal business studies. Currently I work in manufacturing as a machine operator as I enjoy the work and the people. I was born silver-spoon but soon grew to dislike the snobbishness that is too often found in higher-wage careers.

Personal: I'm a young 37, never married my 15yo's mother. Is there anything more beautiful than a nice Southern lady? It'd be great to find a good woman to spend the rest of my life with surrounded by her beautiful soul and the green land of God's creation called NC.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:48 AM

Oh, also forgot. I have read about the three sections of North Carolina. Ocean, Mountain and Plateau. If for no other reason than I love both mountains and water, being in the middle seems ideal.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:49 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,013,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNMale37 View Post
Oh, also forgot. I have read about the three sections of North Carolina. Ocean, Mountain and Plateau. If for no other reason than I love both mountains and water, being in the middle seems ideal.
Actually the three sections are named the Mountain, Piedmont, and Coastal Plain Regions. The geographic center of NC is located 10 miles northwest of Sanford in Chatham County.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,623 times
I've lived in Asheboro last nineteen years and like it very much. Quiet but progressive, large small town. Low crime. 30 minutes to Greensboro on 4-lane highway. Pretty country: old, low Uwharrie Mountains. Indoor mall includes Belks, Penny's, Dillards, etc. Walmart, Lowes home supplies. It is a "dry" town but several good restaurants including national chains like Chili's, K&W cafeteria, etc. Good sea food. Increasing Hispanic population has brought excellent Mexican food. About 20,000 population right in town. Local performing arts council. Affordable housing and low taxes. Some very nice housing areas. Come take a look!

Old 12-14-2007, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 18,579 times
Have you moved already? If so, where did you move to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point