Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take The Money And Run View Post
Lol 8 murders per 57 peeople in Greenville? It was 8 per 58000, the population of the city.
Lol, 597 murders per 8165 people in NYC? It was 597 per 8,165,000, the population of the city. You will never understand the concept of per capita.
Lets do this once again, only this time lets move the population decimal point four places equally to each city.
NYC - 597 murders per 816 people (as an example)
Greenville - 8 murders per 5.7 people (as an example)
Maybe, just maybe, you can see it clearer now. If there were only 5.7 people in Greenville and 8 were murdered ... well ... there would be no more people.
If there were 816 people in NYC and 597 people were murdered ... well ... there would still be people left over.
Exactly where are you going to choose to live, if you had to make that choice? Would you still choose Greenville, as one of those 5.7 people? I am betting you would, because it is so much safer.
These examples are extreme, but it is the only way in which I can make you see what per capita means.
I lowered the populations down equally between the two cities, no tricks there. But I left the crime numbers the same so you could see what really happens when you do not understand what per capita means. It is a poor way of showing this, but I cannot make it any more clear for you ....

Good luck 5.7
(watch your back)

Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Arguing with a fool is like playing chess with a pigeon.

No matter how good you are, the bird is going to poop all over the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I agree, nothing like NYC or Philly! That's what I call crime. Someone once said to me you have to have eyeballs in you ass to constantly keep an eye out. LOL
Becky, I live in NYC and know Greenville well (and admire its downtown renaissance). I grew up in Georgia. New York is now the safest big city in the country -- its crime rate (per capita) is far lower than most southern cities. Little old ladies walk around at 3 AM in most NY neighborhoods. It's a very safe city in 2014.

Philadelphia is like Greenville -- it has a few bad areas that you know to avoid. Center City Philadelphia is pretty safe.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Becky, I live in NYC and know Greenville well (and admire its downtown renaissance). I grew up in Georgia. New York is now the safest big city in the country -- its crime rate (per capita) is far lower than most southern cities. Little old ladies walk around at 3 AM in most NY neighborhoods. It's a very safe city in 2014.

Philadelphia is like Greenville -- it has a few bad areas that you know to avoid. Center City Philadelphia is pretty safe.
Very well said. As I said earlier, I grew up in NYC and rarely felt unsafe, even then. Greenville, like Raleigh and a lot of other cities has a few areas that have high crime rates. When I lived in Raleigh I had no reason to go to those areas and the same goes for Greenville. I do live in the city limits, by the way, and feel safe here.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Arguing with a fool is like playing chess with a pigeon.

No matter how good you are, the bird is going to poop all over the board and strut around like it won anyway.
Oh, I was not arguing with him. I was trying to help a mechanical engineer figure out a bit of math. Or was that his last persona?
It doesn't matter though, I am the one who lost. 8 is always less than 596 ... what was I thinking?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
You argue 8 makes Greenville more dangerous, 1.3 percent of murders in NYC.
So now we have decided to talk percentages. How are you with ratio's?
1 in every 7194 residents of Greenviile were murdered based on the statistics you provided (8 out of 57770).
1 in every 13,699 residents in NYC were murdered based on the statistics your provided (596 out of 8,165,000).
Again I will ask this question, which group do you wish to belong in, the smaller group (Greenville) or the larger group (NYC)?
Let me give you a hint here. For all practical purposes, based on the information you provided, one is nearly twice as likely to get murdered in Greenville than NYC.

For those not lost in math, I have this to add - I have lived in 5 cities larger than Greenville as an adult. Each and every one of them have a higher City-Data crime ranking than Greenville. Let me rephrase that ... of all the larger cities that I have lived in, none had a City-Data crime ranking as low as Greenville. Greenville, based on these rankings, is a safer city than where I have lived before.
But just not quite as safe as NYC, based on the dreaded stats.
Please accept my apologies for beating this dead horse.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Good job scaring all the women and children with falsehoods about Greenville.
If I have said anything, I mean ANYTHING, that is false, you should be able to prove me wrong. I have been waiting. Truth be told, you have offered nothing other than how you feel or what you think. Guess what, you are wrong on both accounts. I used the very data you posted to make my point. The data you posted was from back in 2006, by the way ... it has even gotten safer in NYC in those 6 years!

There is no way around it, the data you posted clearly shows that one is more likely to be murdered in Greenville than in NYC. It is crystal clear. It is what it is, and you are wrong.
Just do me this favor, so we can end this discussion once and for all ... answer the simple question I asked earlier. 1 in every 7194 residents of Greenviile or 1 in every 13,699 residents in NYC, which group do you wish to belong in, the smaller group (Greenville) or the larger group (NYC)?

(Is this sub forum moderated?)

Old 08-05-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
.... but the issue is the total number of victims. Period. More crime victims in a city = more dangerous city.
Wow. You will never let the truth sink in, will ya? If NYC was 100 times bigger than Greenville (actually it is 116% larger than Greenville), then wouldn't there be 100 times the murder victims in NYC if the cities had the same crime? But it is not. Which means .... wait for it ... there are more murders per capita in Greenville than in NYC. As a resident of Greenville you are more likely to get murdered than if you were a resident of NYC.
No way around it bud

Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
I did win. NYC has lot more crime. Numbers don't lie. The Macon guy is now arguing 8 out 57 are murdered in greenville. It was 8 out of 57700. I give him credit for trying to debate, you are all rhetoric

Shouldn't you be mocking retarded people, or telling people their kids can't get good education in Greenville unless theyou go to all white school? Or whining about bob Jones university dress code even though you don't go there? This is intelligent.

It makes sense to look at crime per city. Not per x number of people. TO get the per 100000 number, they have to extrapolate, given there are only 58000 in Greenville. So that number is not a fact. Macon Batman presents as fact

If you want to argue 8 murders is worse than 596 in a city, go to it. I know big cities love the per capita approach. Lol
That does not make sense; the only thing that makes sense is comparing per capita crime, etc.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Would you rather be locked up in a room with 600 killer bees, or 8 killer bees?
You are right on the edge of getting it. Using your bee analogy, lets look at it more accurately. The room with 600 killer bees is the size of Texas, Alaska and California put together and the room with 8 killer bees is the size of a refrigerator. Which room do you want to be in now? It really is that simple. The chance of you finding one of 600 killer bees in an area the size of those three states is very low. However, those eight killer bees in that refrigerator box are going to be pretty darn easy to find. Has the light bulb even flickered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area