Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 01:51 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Plus you realize that walkers and joggers are not supposed to be using the road right?
It is perfectly legal and appropriate for people to walk or jog on the road, as long as it is not a highway that forbids pedestrians.

Quote:
The same people that pay for bike lanes.
So, you're saying walkers and joggers should be taxed the same as you think bicyclists should be taxed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 01:53 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
It is perfectly legal and appropriate for people to walk or jog on the road, as long as it is not a highway that forbids pedestrians.
Are you sure? So I can walk outside my office and start jogging in the middle of Main Street, hold up traffic and get no citation?

Old 11-11-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post

So, you're saying walkers and joggers should be taxed the same as you think bicyclists should be taxed?
I sure am...walking is a necessity for some, biking is not.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:04 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
You can look at bike trails several ways.

As recreation, it's no different than building a city park for people to enjoy and get exercise.

For transportation, it allows people to commute and not be in a vehicle. So now there are less vehicles on the road, causing less damage to the road, freeing up more space on the road and less pollution in the air.

I don't think a bike tax is necessary.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

As recreation, it's no different than building a city park for people to enjoy and get exercise.

For transportation, it allows people to commute and not be in a vehicle. So now there are less vehicles on the road, causing less damage to the road, freeing up more space on the road and less pollution in the air.

Okay, so why do I need to pay taxes on my car then because it is a means of transportation to get me to and from work if you do not have to pay taxes on your bike that is your form of transportation and we both use the road?

Old 11-11-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Totally agree with your city park example other than the fact that these bike lanes unlike Falls Park or the SRT are coming from the transportation funds that takes away from funding for basic infrastructure that everyone utilizes to benefit the smaller percentage of the population that bikes...and only those that bike.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:51 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
Quote:
Are you sure? So I can walk outside my office and start jogging in the middle of Main Street, hold up traffic and get no citation?
On the side of the road where you're not blocking traffic, yes, of course you can walk!

Old 11-11-2015, 04:59 PM

843 posts, read 1,432,165 times
Let's back up to your boat theory. Lake Hartwell and the dam were originally constructed by the corps of engineers for navigation, hydropower, and flood control. Only later was recreation added to the list of uses. You pay taxes on your boat for water patrol and public maintenance of boat ramps and piers.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:13 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
Lake Murray in Columbia...the one built and controlled by SCE&G, a privately held utility company...similar to how Duke owns and controls Hartwell, Keowee, Jocassee. The utilities built and control the dams, not the state or county...
Tax dollars are used to maintain the lake, enforce the laws, maintain the park, etc. Not to mention the tax breaks and guaranteed profits the utilities make. The divide between private and public when it comes to utilities is soft one.

Does your boat have a motor?

Old 11-11-2015, 05:17 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
Okay, so why do I need to pay taxes on my car then because it is a means of transportation to get me to and from work if you do not have to pay taxes on your bike that is your form of transportation and we both use the road?
Because one causes wear and tear on the roads, pollutes the land, water and air, and costs us all as a community a whole lot more tax dollars than the other one does.

Encouraging bike usage saves tax dollars, reduces pollution, reduces health costs, boosts local business, etc...

Encouraging bike usage through bettering bike infrastructure is a no-brainer that most of the nation (and western civilization) has already figured out. Some people are just slow.

Last edited by Art123; 11-11-2015 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area