Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 12:09 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,656 times

Advertisements

This isnt a shot at cyclists or anything but the way I see it, if we are going to continue to talk about "sharing the road" and build bike lanes across Greenville County (which I am not opposed of) the cyclists using them need to chip in to help pay for it.

I realize cyclists already pay property taxes on their vehicles just as I do, but I also pay taxes on a boat that uses no public infrastructure in order to operate while building bike lanes require tax dollars not to mention cyclists are using the road where there are no lanes. Someone who rents their apartment and bikes everywhere with no car pays no taxes. If we have to "share the road" we need to "share the expense."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:19 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
I agree!! Problem is, who are you going to tax, the adult on his high dollar, multi speed, "hot rod" bicycle, or the parents out for a ride with their kids? We can make all kinds of arguments for and against it, but IMO, if it costs over a certain price, and is a certain type of bike, it should pay a road tax. (Of course somebody would find a way around the tax.)

Old 11-11-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I agree!! Problem is, who are you going to tax, the adult on his high dollar, multi speed, "hot rod" bicycle, or the parents out for a ride with their kids? We can make all kinds of arguments for and against it, but IMO, if it costs over a certain price, and is a certain type of bike, it should pay a road tax. (Of course somebody would find a way around the tax.)
As I was actually typing that, I saw a little kid go by on a bike with their parents.

I think it should be restricted to road bikes, speed bikes, etc. Those are the ones who will be using the bike lanes or the roads, not the family of four going for a gentle stroll around the neighborhood.

The ones I am really wanting to pay their fair share are the ones who are pushing to build more bike lanes. It's just hypocritical for them to expect all of this money for their enjoyment without contributing a dime while I need no public funds to enjoy my boat but yet I am paying.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:03 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
Why don't we tax runners and walkers? They get around without paying anything at all.

Last edited by gvsteve; 11-11-2015 at 01:17 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 01:28 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I realize cyclists already pay property taxes on their vehicles just as I do, but I also pay taxes on a boat that uses no public infrastructure in order to operate ...
This is not true. There are no natural lakes in SC. Whatever lake your boat is on was built by taxpayer dollars, is maintained by taxpayers, and there's a very good likelihood is a source of drinking water for taxpayers.

What lake is your boat on? Does it have an engine?

Old 11-11-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Why don't we tax runners and walkers?
Runners and walkers utilize sidewalks in which are basic forms of infrastructure that everyone utilizes or has the opportunity to utilize.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:36 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Runners and walkers utilize sidewalks in which are basic forms of infrastructure that everyone utilizes or has the opportunity to utilize.
Who pays for those sidewalks?

Old 11-11-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
This is not true. There are no natural lakes in SC. Whatever lake your boat is on was built by taxpayer dollars, is maintained by taxpayers, and there's a very good likelihood is a source of drinking water for taxpayers.

What lake is your boat on? Does it have an engine?
Lake Murray in Columbia...the one built and controlled by SCE&G, a privately held utility company...similar to how Duke owns and controls Hartwell, Keowee, Jocassee. The utilities built and control the dams, not the state or county...

Old 11-11-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Who pays for those sidewalks?
The same people that pay for bike lanes.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Why don't we tax runners and walkers? They get around without paying anything at all.
Plus you realize that walkers and joggers are not supposed to be using the road right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area