Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 09:52 AM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
My point wasn't Spartanburg is a suburb of Greenville. I was talking about the job market in the area.

I assume Charlestondata was referring to BMW. It is located next to the Greenville-Spartanburg airport and Pelham Road, a major residential road in Greenville. It doesn't matter if BMW is located in Spartanburg County or Greenville County.

Much of the industry in Charleston is in the Goose Creek area which is Berkeley County. Volvo is out in Ridgeville.
They are in the Charleston-North Charleston metro. I mean, since we’re picking places apart by job sectors and economic components.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Charlestondata,

My post were in response to a Charleston resident who said Greenville has a long way to go relative to Charleston. Stating that is not true is not an attack on Charleston.

It is true Greenville doesn't have a beach or slavery / Civil War history, and large military installations, and two large public universities in our downtown. We won't be able to catch up to Charleston on that.

The writer of the article about Greenville isn't from Greenville. Her title was meant to be cheeky.
Vaccinated Masker, that poster meant in terms of tourism. Fodors and Conde Nast might be onto something, but as I stated in as many words upthread, let’s compare notes when Greenville has nabbed as many tourism accolades as Charleston has received and still is.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:00 AM

1,290 posts, read 782,504 times
She's a travel writer. It is her job to write about a place that people might not know about. What's the point in talking about Charleston if it is a tourist mecca.

She didn't even mention the waterfall and Falls Park.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
She's a travel writer. It is her job to write about a place that people might not know about.
I get that. I wondered why you switched metro size and jobs numbers.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:03 AM

When I talk about job markets, I am talking about the MSA and CSA markets.

People say Volvo located in CHarleston although it is in Ridgeville. Isn't that close to I-95?

Old 07-22-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
She's a travel writer. It is her job to write about a place that people might not know about. What's the point in talking about Charleston if it is a tourist mecca.

She didn't even mention the waterfall and Falls Park.
If she mentioned that, she would have to compare it to Columbia’s three rivers and to Charleston’s waterways and the ocean, since her title set the stage for telling us why people are going to the wrong town.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:13 AM

I lived in Columbia for two years and I don't recall people talking about the 3 rivers. The riverfront park is pretty far down the hill from the Vista area.

In most riverfront cities, the downtown area is adjacent to the river.

The main tourism draw is the zoo and UofSC sports, and the kid's museum and state house, mostly for school field trips.

Old 07-22-2022, 12:20 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Myrtle Beach newpaper’s take on Charleston in regard to Greenville’s recognition:

“Charleston is probably not too worried — it’s the fastest growing city in the state, was on the list of 25 best cities in the world and tourism having a $10 billion impact each year.” They can add that Travel and Leisure’s readers just named it their favorite U.S. city for the 10th year in a row. In the quotes they must be referring to the #22 ranking on T&L’s 2022 list of the best travel destinations in which Charleston is the only U.S. listed. But I might be repeating myself in this thread.

Anyway, enjoy, Greenville! And I’m going to say right here that if I have come to realize anything about Charlestonians, I have learned that they do not put other cities down. To be honest, I expected put-downs of Columbia left and right when I moved here from Columbia seven years ago. Didn’t happen!

Read more at: https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/ne...#storylink=cpy
Greenville actually added more people than Charleston last year. It's area is already more populated.

Old 07-22-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Vaccinated Masker, that poster meant in terms of tourism. Fodors and Conde Nast might be onto something, but as I stated in as many words upthread, let’s compare notes when Greenville has nabbed as many tourism accolades as Charleston has received and still is.
If you filter for 5 star rated waterfalls in the United States on the Trip Advisor website, Falls Park is at the top of the list.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ed_States.html

If you filter for 5 star rated parks in the United States, Falls Park is #3 on the list. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ed_States.html

Most of the parks in their top 10 are not city parks like Falls Park.

Old 07-22-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
When I talk about job markets, I am talking about the MSA and CSA markets.

People say Volvo located in CHarleston although it is in Ridgeville. Isn't that close to I-95?
It depends on the context. Volvo didn’t announce that they were locating a plant in Ridgeville, SC. They said Charleston, South Carolina. But in many local business articles about Volvo, Ridgeville and Berkeley get mentioned. I see Spartanburg, Spartanburg County and Greer mentioned in most business articles about BMW. In articles about Greenville, I often see BMW mentioned as an asset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area