Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2022, 05:23 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
He’s from Fairfield County.
Not the information I have. He was born in Columbia. Columbia and Charleston folks aren't exactly proper either. I bet I have less accent than you do and I live in the upstate. That's another one of your stereotypes that isn't 100 percent correct. Many dialects up here. It's heavily transplanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 06:49 PM

1,290 posts, read 784,698 times
I would guess most people on the Greenville forum prefer Charleston to Greenville based on opinions they have expressed on various topics.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:19 AM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
You can't judge an area this populated by a few posters. Most folks in Greenville don't know this forum exist.
I’m talking about in-person conversations. I’m a 63-year-old native South Carolinian with an interest in the state’s cities and how they’re perceived. I’ve heard enough. Believe me.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Not the information I have. He was born in Columbia. Columbia and Charleston folks aren't exactly proper either. I bet I have less accent than you do and I live in the upstate. That's another one of your stereotypes that isn't 100 percent correct. Many dialects up here. It's heavily transplanted.
You are right about McMaster. I was thinking of Tim Wilkes, whom my spouse and I were discussing last week. That explains why McMaster has what I call the Dreher (High School) brogue. I don’t know which high school he attended. He’s of the youngest generation with that accent, and really only a relatively small circle of Columbians speak that way.

I said those guys were from Greer. It was 1979. I know the typical person living in Greenville or the area including Greet doesn’t talk that way anymore. You are reading too much into it.

Also, I didn’t say their speech was improper. Was Gomer’s speech improper? I don’t think so.

I have nothing against improper language. You should hear my mom’s older relatives in the country in southern Orangeburg County talk, although even that dialect is dying out.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 07-25-2022 at 06:37 AM..

Old 07-25-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I’m talking about in-person conversations. I’m a 63-year-old native South Carolinian with an interest in the state’s cities and how they’re perceived. I’ve heard enough. Believe me.
There are over 500k in the county, and almost 1 million in the metro. You talked to most of those?

Old 07-25-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
You are right about McMaster. I was thinking of Tim Wilkes, whom my spouse and I were discussing last week. That explains why McMaster has what I call the Dreher (High School) brogue. I don’t know which high school he attended. He’s of the youngest generation with that accent, and really only a relatively small circle of Columbians speak that way.

I said those guys were from Greer. It was 1979. I know the typical person living in Greenville or the area including Greet doesn’t talk that way anymore. You are reading too much into it.

Also, I didn’t say their speech was improper. Was Gomer’s speech improper? I don’t think so.

I have nothing against improper language. You should hear my mom’s older relatives in the country in southern Orangeburg County talk, although even that dialect is dying out.
You're right. 1979 has been a minute. I'm not saying there isn't any southern drawl. I'm just saying the dialects are diverse. And people from the same city can have totally different dialects depending on what neighborhood they're from or the people they hang with.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:11 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
A friend of mine moved from Charleston to Greer and says he likes it much better here, mainly mentioning the cost of living and traffic.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:19 AM

Charleston Data,

I question you met people who talk like Gomer at Clemson.

You didn't mention you transferred to U of SC.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:42 AM

The Boone / Blowing Rock area seems like the main tourist area in western NC.

It has Grandfather Mountain, Linville Gorge, Tweetsie Railroad, the only easily accessible cave in NC , and the ski resorts. The Nantahala River area near the national park and the Highlands area would be the other two.

The city of Asheville doesn't have any big tourist attraction other than the Biltmore estate on the edge of town.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
There are over 500k in the county, and almost 1 million in the metro. You talked to most of those?
Really? Ever heard of conversations over the years and comments people make? I mean after a while…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area