Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2022, 04:49 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
I'm glad you mentioned this because there are a lot of people in Charleston who don't care for the industry along the Cooper River, including the paper mill and its foul smell. That's on top of the smell of the pluff mud in Charleston as this petition points out.

https://www.change.org/p/charleston-...ston-papermill

I'm a big fan of industry but I prefer to take my SC beach vacations in Mrytle Beach and Hilton Head because it is away from industrialized areas.
The wind must take the paper mill smell inland. I don’t ever smell it, including this morning. North Charleston is north of the Ravenel. And I love the smell of pluff mud. Also, I wasn’t going to do this, but the beautiful blue water in and around Charleston always makes me glad it’s never diarrhea brown as the water in some cities’ rivers gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 06:03 PM

“The exception would perhaps be people with your general views but most of that is shenanigans / strategy.”

Please explain.

Because I never smell the paper mill (but love the smell of pluff mud - and most people who love the coast also love coastal smells), I googled the heck out of the paper mill in North Charleston and got the same petition from one man from a year ago and a lot of commentary from people who grew up here who love that smell. The paper mill smell I know about from having smelled them before is unique, but to me it’s not offensive.

Myrtle Beach gets more tourists and/or vacationers than Charleston. Beach towns are for going to the beach and partying. Plus MB is cheaper.

Old 08-06-2022, 06:43 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Charleston Data,

I question you met people who talk like Gomer at Clemson.

You didn't mention you transferred to U of SC.
So Andy Griffith.. as an actor and a person was from central NC? His accent seemed to mimic/target the western portion of NC above the SC border with that of the other "hills" characters on the show. That seemed more "hillbilly" but I didnt get the sense that that characterized Greenville and upstate accents. I guess we could ask people "whose your daddy" and if they respond with "my Pah..." then we will have our answer

Old 08-07-2022, 06:38 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,807,662 times
Oh yeah. Well, Greenville has taller buildings so there.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:44 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:
What does a long way to go mean?

Greenville and the Upstate has the largest private sector job market in the state.
No doubt the 13,000 jobs at the BMW plant helps this statistic. I'd bet there are atleast another 13000 vendor jobs out there to support that factory.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
No doubt the 13,000 jobs at the BMW plant helps this statistic. I'd bet there are atleast another 13000 vendor jobs out there to support that factory.
I would think BMW’s jobs are considered to be in the Spartanburg metro job market. Spin-off jobs are in both.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:19 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Despite what people continue to think, BMW is not in Greenville. And isn't the largest employer in the upstate. That is a common misconception. Spartanburg County despite Greenville growing across the county line is still a separate metro also. Yet, Greenville still has a larger economy.

Old 08-07-2022, 05:51 PM

13 posts, read 8,580 times
Hello, out of towner here from Wisconsin. Having recently visited Spartanburg and Greenville in June 2022, in my opinion, both cities represent an attractive growth story for the Upstate. Besides BMW in Greer, Oshkosh Corporation (Wisconsin HQ company) has announced plans to build the next generation postal delivery vehicles in their new manufacturing plant in Spartanburg. Very exciting times for SC!

Old 08-08-2022, 06:14 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
That's a clever idea. Any truth to this or just a pipe dream?
I believe it was discussed in the Columbia Subforum but I cant remember if it was an idea or if a study was being commissioned to look into the use of the site. But in typical Columbia fashion its likely the commissioning the "study of a pipe dream" like Regional Rail Study.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:22 AM

1,290 posts, read 785,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The wind must take the paper mill smell inland. I don’t ever smell it, including this morning. North Charleston is north of the Ravenel. And I love the smell of pluff mud. Also, I wasn’t going to do this, but the beautiful blue water in and around Charleston always makes me glad it’s never diarrhea brown as the water in some cities’ rivers gets.

I assume you are sincere but a Greenville resident would be accused of boosterism if they made similar comments regarding man made and natural odors.

It sounds like you are describing the Destin gulf shore area in Florida, not Charleston. Charleston and SC beaches don't have clear water like Destin in part due to large rivers like the Cooper and Ashley dumping into the ocean.

The only clear bodies of water in SC are Lake Jocassee and Keowee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area