Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2022, 07:44 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Money dot CNN says you only need $45,000 in Greenville for the same standard of living as $50,000 in Charleston.
Who gives a flip what a news network says. Neither of those are much money. Like I said. I can live comfortably anywhere in this state. It's just not expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 06:22 AM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Who gives a flip what a news network says. Neither of those are much money. Like I said. I can live comfortably anywhere in this state. It's just not expensive.
Actually, I really said “coastal elite” or whatever as a tongue-in-cheek dig, and I only meant within South Carolina. Within the SC realm, Charleston and Hilton Head fit that bill.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
College of Charleston fall move-in dates are this weekend, so Downtown hotels will probably be higher than other weekends. The last few times I have visited Charleston I have stayed in Mount Pleasant. It’s a lot cheaper than anywhere on the peninsula. I went to C of C about 40 years ago when C of C was much smaller, and at the time it was harder to get into C of C, especially if you needed on-campus housing, than it was to get in Clemson. I applied to both schools early in my senior year of HS and got into Clemson in December and C of C in March. They are totally different college experiences and you can’t compare the two schools, just like you can’t really compare Greenville to Charleston because they are so different.
And depending on which list pops up on a day by day basis, CofC does get high ratings.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Greenville seems to get the right amount of tourism in my view. I'd be ok with less. It has taken me a half hour to drive down Main Street some evenings. This area is probably going to double in population in the next 30 years. Greenville County is already the most SC populated county by a significant margin.

I kind of miss the late 90s version of Greenville when it was more off the grid but well liked by people who knew about it.

Those "elite" cities you mentioned are also known for heartbreaking homelessness and drug addicts in the street. Wealth doesn't cancel out poverty.

I think Greenville and Clemson's football program have had a similar trajectory. Many people who like to put cities and football programs into tiers seem to have a problem with Greenville and Clemson. They think Greenville and Clemson fans are uppity and neither is a "blueblood". The upstate has a fun underdog David slaying Goliath vibe.

You can say things like Greenville's downtown is America's Downtown and Clemson is America's College Town to be cheeky yet it is still plausible. The critics don't get it like they don't get Dabo's "Little Ol Clemson" thing.

Check out these touristy quotes about Greenville from various publications: https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/ab...le-are-saying/

Charlestondata, soon to be Greenvilledata, will appreciate this one: “With apologies to Charleston, Greenville is the next South Atlantic hotspot.”
-Smarter Travel
Yeah, right, and Vaccinated Masker soon to be Charleston Vaccinated Masker, too. I haven’t lost anything up there. I’d sooner move out of state. No offense, Greenville. You’re fine, just not my cup.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:06 AM

1,290 posts, read 782,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
College of Charleston fall move-in dates are this weekend, so Downtown hotels will probably be higher than other weekends. The last few times I have visited Charleston I have stayed in Mount Pleasant. It’s a lot cheaper than anywhere on the peninsula. I went to C of C about 40 years ago when C of C was much smaller, and at the time it was harder to get into C of C, especially if you needed on-campus housing, than it was to get in Clemson. I applied to both schools early in my senior year of HS and got into Clemson in December and C of C in March. They are totally different college experiences and you can’t compare the two schools, just like you can’t really compare Greenville to Charleston because they are so different.
Understood, I don't care about college rankings and selectivity. I was poking fun of his coastal elite thing. I never heard anybody say that about Charleston.

That is a college that could increase its selectivity easily by adding engineering and architecture programs.

Starting a football program wouldn't hurt. Even Erskine with 500 students has a football team.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-19-2022 at 07:15 AM..

Old 08-19-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Yeah, right, and Vaccinated Masker soon to be Charleston Vaccinated Masker, too. I haven’t lost anything up there. I’d sooner move out of state. No offense, Greenville. You’re fine, just not my cup.
You could probably afford to live on or close to Main St in Greenville for what you pay to live in the suburb of James Island. You seem like kind of person who would be happiest living in a downtown area.

I could move to Charleston in my golden years. I probably have more Charleston data up my sleeves already. For example Bull or Bulls Island has the highest density of alligators outside of Florida.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
You could probably afford to live on or close to Main St in Greenville for what you pay to live in the suburb of James Island. You seem like kind of person who would be happiest living in a downtown area.

I could move to Charleston in my golden years. I probably have more Charleston data up my sleeves already. For example Bull or Bulls Island has the highest density of alligators outside of Florida.
I’d rather live 4 miles from downtown Charleston and six miles from Folly Beach, between them. I love Charleston’s look, vibe, and 21st century outlook, and its relationship with the big water, as challenging as that can be sometimes. The water mitigation plans are exciting. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a few canals downtown someday, but probably not in my lifetime.

Plus, as SC’s cities go, Charleston is the closest place to where I’m mostly from, the closest to where I graduated from high school (Holly Hill), the closest to where my mom and her people are from for generations (southern Orangeburg County eight miles southeast of Bowman) (My just released DNA update on Ancestry labels where she’s from the “northwest Lowcountry of South Carolina,” but before that, I have Charleston roots back to the founding of Charles Town), the closest to where my dad lived and finished high school after moving to SC at 14 (St. George), and the closest to where my parents met (Indian Field Methodist Campground, St. George). Charleston as a South Carolina city is home. Nothing wrong with home. Maybe my husband and I will become tour guides, he with his savant-like qualities for remembering stuff after reading it once, and me probably more the driver.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:02 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
It looks like the Greenville-Anderson MSA has more people than the Charleston-N. Charleston MSA.

Greenville is at the center of the 40th largest CSA. There isn't a CSA for Charleston.

The Upstate has more people despite not having a beach and not being the "teacher's pet" of SC cities like Charleston. Charleston is all my teachers talked about in SC history classes. I asked one of them why she never talked about the western part of the state given the course was called SC history and she got mad. The next day she mentioned Stumphouse Tunnel and then it was back to Charleston.

I'm glad our metro doesn't get tourism based on the fact people were enslaved and there was a war over it. People come to Greenville to check out the waterfall, etc. It feels more positive and wholesome.

I think if you could control for the beach tourism, there is not much of a difference between the number of tourists to Charleston and Greenville's downtown areas. If you take the beach away, there would be significantly less tourists in Charleston's downtown.
I'd disagree. The reason she didn't talk more about the upstate is that HISTORICALLY, Charleston is more important and signifcant.

This isn't a direct apples-apples comparison, but Raleigh NC is historically not extremely significant. Until the 1970's it wasn't a whole lot more than the seat of government.

Charleston? Not so much. Historically very significant and historically very interesting.
Blackbeard sieging the city and getting paid off to leave it alone.
It had the largest population of Jewish people til the 1830's.
It has one of the oldest active theater companies.
It has Revolutionary history, and is the site of the biggest American defeat of the Revolution.
It's historically significant for its role in the slave trade, and it's a somewhat well preserved embodiment of the plantation economy.
Then the civil war...more than one can comment on here...
In the 20th century, it was a leader in historic/architectural preservation, enacting the first zoning protecting areas to that end.

The beach doesn't hurt anything, but the city stands on its own as a tourist destination.

Greenville? It's nice. I wouldn't mind living there. But mostly I go there for work, usually a conference or trade show. I'm not going there for a weekend getaway with my wife.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I’d rather live 4 miles from downtown Charleston and six miles from Folly Beach, between them. I love Charleston’s look, vibe, and 21st century outlook, and its relationship with the big water, as challenging as that can be sometimes. The water mitigation plans are exciting. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a few canals downtown someday, but probably not in my lifetime.

Plus, as SC’s cities go, Charleston is the closest place to where I’m mostly from, the closest to where I graduated from high school (Holly Hill), the closest to where my mom and her people are from for generations (southern Orangeburg County eight miles southeast of Bowman) (My just released DNA update on Ancestry labels where she’s from the “northwest Lowcountry of South Carolina,” but before that, I have Charleston roots back to the founding of Charles Town), the closest to where my dad lived and finished high school after moving to SC at 14 (St. George), and the closest to where my parents met (Indian Field Methodist Campground, St. George). Charleston as a South Carolina city is home. Nothing wrong with home. Maybe my husband and I will become tour guides, he with his savant-like qualities for remembering stuff after reading it once, and me probably more the driver.
Don't follow why Charleston would have canals in downtown or where they would be.

It is interesting there have been two persons from Orangeburg to post on this topic with the same general views and profile.

It's no big deal either way but have you been to Greenville in the last 30 years or the SC Blue ridge tourist stuff like Caesars Head, Pretty Place, Lake Jocassee, Table Rock, Issaqueena Falls, Chattooga River, etc

The reason I ask is you don't seem like a big mountains guy and it seems like you would go to Asheville if you did a mountain vacation given your profile You said you left Clemson because it wasn't your cup of tea so it is hard to imagine you driving hours to visit Greenville and the blue ridge area

Old 08-19-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'd disagree. The reason she didn't talk more about the upstate is that HISTORICALLY, Charleston is more important and signifcant.

This isn't a direct apples-apples comparison, but Raleigh NC is historically not extremely significant. Until the 1970's it wasn't a whole lot more than the seat of government.

Charleston? Not so much. Historically very significant and historically very interesting.
Blackbeard sieging the city and getting paid off to leave it alone.
It had the largest population of Jewish people til the 1830's.
It has one of the oldest active theater companies.
It has Revolutionary history, and is the site of the biggest American defeat of the Revolution.
It's historically significant for its role in the slave trade, and it's a somewhat well preserved embodiment of the plantation economy.
Then the civil war...more than one can comment on here...
In the 20th century, it was a leader in historic/architectural preservation, enacting the first zoning protecting areas to that end.

The beach doesn't hurt anything, but the city stands on its own as a tourist destination.

Greenville? It's nice. I wouldn't mind living there. But mostly I go there for work, usually a conference or trade show. I'm not going there for a weekend getaway with my wife.

I doubt you know much about Greenville and Upstate history to do a comparison. To say one city's history is more interesting than another city's is more of a marketing assertion. Slavery was commonplace back in the day and truly no more historic than theft and other bad things. The slaves lived mundane lives working in the fields and the plantation owners lives were not generally interesting. For starters, it is easier for us to travel.

There's also more to SC history than slavery, civil war, and segregation. The Civil war and slavery ended in 1865. The Upstate industrialized before Charleston did.

Greenville's first white settler Richard Pearis has a more interesting story than the average Charleston resident back then

Have you done any of the Blue Ridge tourist stuff in SC. I can promise you most women like Greenville and spots like Pretty Place and Lake Jocassee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area