Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2022, 07:36 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
People probably been saying Greenville the new hotness since the 1940s or so. People that discover a place they didn't know about often think they are one of the first.

Do you recall what overlooks and other attractions you went to in NC? I hear people say they go to Asheville but they rarely mention what they do there or the surrounding area. It seems like Greenville can serve the same base camp function Asheville does for a Blue Ridge vacation.
Let me think.

Downtown Asheville - the gay bar scene and camping at a camp site on my first visit in my 30's, a middle (not high church or low church or whatever) Episcopal church and an old hotel that Asheville's known for -

Mountains - the places I've been, but I'm sure I'll miss some - Chimney Rock, Caesar's Head, Linville Falls, Brevard's downtown and a weekend in a mountaintop cabin overlooking it, Ghost Town, Tweetsie Railroad, Knoxville, Grandfather Mountain, Sliding Rock, Looking Glass Falls, Flat Rock, a preserved farm, the house on a hill that feels like you're slanted - there are more - hiking trails, peak fall color drives, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Poor Columbia.
It's next. Do not count it out.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:41 AM

1,290 posts, read 783,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Let me think.

Downtown Asheville - the gay bar scene and camping at a camp site on my first visit in my 30's, a middle (not high church or low church or whatever) Episcopal church and an old hotel that Asheville's known for -

Mountains - the places I've been, but I'm sure I'll miss some - Chimney Rock, Caesar's Head, Linville Falls, Brevard's downtown and a weekend in a mountaintop cabin overlooking it, Ghost Town, Tweetsie Railroad, Knoxville, Grandfather Mountain, Sliding Rock, Looking Glass Falls, Flat Rock, a preserved farm, the house on a hill that feels like you're slanted - there are more - hiking trails, peak fall color drives, etc.
Greenville is as close to the Brevard area stuff in NC as Asheville. I typically eat lunch or dinner in Brevard when I visit Caesars Head and Pretty Place. Grandfather Mountain is 1.5 hours from Asheville. It makes more sense to stay in the Boone / Blowing Rock area for Grandfather Mountain, Tweetsie Railroad, Linville gorge, the cave, ski resorts, etc especially for families.

Greenville is just over a hour from Chimney Rock and 1.5 hour from Tallulah Gorge in Georgia which in my view is more impressive than Linville Gorge.

and Both Chimney Rock and Grandfather Mtn have a pretty big admission fee, probably at least 20 dollars.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:30 PM

Old, but not busted That’s all I’m saying.

“The media company behind Cosmopolitan magazine that’s getting into the travel-booking business is including Charleston in its first four destinations.

“The newly launched CosmoTrips ‘delivers a unique opportunity for the brand’s Gen Z and millennial audience to travel like an editor through instantly bookable, curated vacation experiences in top cities across the U.S.

“The two- to three-night itineraries also are being offered for visits to New York, Austin and West Hollywood under a partnership with DH Enterprise & Associates. More destinations are expected to be added later, including New Orleans, Las Vegas and Miami.”

https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...f11c6a200.html

Old 08-23-2022, 06:58 AM

I just thought of this analogy:

If South Carolina were the world, besides the fact that according it Livability 2022 it would have no livable cities, comparing Greenville and Charleston would be almost totally like comparing New York and London. Apples and oranges and what would be the point?

Old 08-23-2022, 08:06 AM

1,290 posts, read 783,300 times
What's the issue with comparing any two cities?

Charleston is old and busted in the sense most people who have traveled in the southeast have been to Charleston.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:24 AM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I just thought of this analogy:

If South Carolina were the world, besides the fact that according it Livability 2022 it would have no livable cities, comparing Greenville and Charleston would be almost totally like comparing New York and London. Apples and oranges and what would be the point?

Old 08-23-2022, 12:04 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
But Charleston is old…literally. Look at all of the historic buildings there.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
What's the issue with comparing any two cities?

Charleston is old and busted in the sense most people who have traveled in the southeast have been to Charleston.
Comparisons that imply one’s better than the other when they are so different don’t work for me. Works both ways. London’s been around for many centuries. People still flock there to visit.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
But Charleston is old…literally. Look at all of the historic buildings there.
I said a few posts back that it’s old (compared to Greenville anyway), but not busted as far as tourism goes. Same with London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area