Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2022, 03:24 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times

Advertisements

When I think of Charleston in romantic terms, my mind goes nowhere near its antebellum history. I think of street lanterns, draping Spanish moss, candlelight dinners, beautiful old houses and a stroll on the battery. While there would be no, or fewer, mansions in Charleston if there had been no slavery, I don’t automatically think of slavery when walking the streets ogling or photographing them. Slavery’s over. The mansions remain. Same with mansions that many human-exploitive factory owners and business moguls built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 03:44 PM

46 posts, read 43,290 times
I was going to write something but in the end it would just make this thread worse. Please carry on... Apples and Oranges.

Old 08-20-2022, 04:27 PM

46 posts, read 43,290 times
I couldnt do it. Sorry...

You are both totally correct. SC is an interesting state and pretty unique really. It has quite a variation of terrain and climate.
Its history is incredible and very complex for obvious reasons. We are just learning that St. Augustine was not the first European settlement in N. America (personally I think perhaps the Vikings beat everyone). It is probably the only state where you could drive from a subtropical climate to a temperate climate in 3 or 4 hours on the same day depending on the month?

The Lowcountry is that... Upstate is that. One thing for sure though. "Charleston is not old and busted" and Greenville is definitely not the "new hotness". Silly thread.

Old 08-20-2022, 04:39 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
IMO Greenville is a new hotness, but not the new hotness.

Old 08-20-2022, 06:10 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
The poster that started this thread has barely posted in it. Started something and ran.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:07 PM

1,290 posts, read 784,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
The poster that started this thread has barely posted in it. Started something and ran.
What did he start? Adults are having a conversation. It is the only topic you have posted on in the last week yet you complain about it.

The only issue on this topic was you and a person who does not live in Greenville calling a person, a non-resident, a troll and dishonest because he said he didn't find downtown Greenville charming.

Charlestondata and I are having a friendly interaction but you try to characterize it as contentious. I'm starting to think you do some warmup drama routines on here for Shakespeare in the Park.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-20-2022 at 07:29 PM..

Old 08-20-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
IMO Greenville is a new hotness, but not the new hotness.
People probably been saying Greenville the new hotness since the 1940s or so. People that discover a place they didn't know about often think they are one of the first.

Do you recall what overlooks and other attractions you went to in NC? I hear people say they go to Asheville but they rarely mention what they do there or the surrounding area. It seems like Greenville can serve the same base camp function Asheville does for a Blue Ridge vacation.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:19 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
What did he start? Adults are having a conversation. It is the only topic you have posted on in the last week yet you complain about it.

The only issue on this topic was you and a person who does not live in Greenville calling a person a troll and dishonest because he said he didn't find downtown Greenville charming.
You're the issue in every topic actually. You love to argue. I bet more people here have an issue with you more than they do anyone here. Don't respond to my stuff. I wasn't talking to you. There is no talking to you. I'll just put you back on the ignore list. No time to argue with someone who just wants to argue for no reason.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:30 PM

A person who called another person a troll for saying he didn't find Greenville charming is also presenting me as argumentative. You provided no evidence that his statement was not sincere. You were name calling.

Expressing viewpoints isn't the same as being irrationally negative like you were. I like downtown Greenville but I didn't make a negative comment about spencer or Charlestondata when he used a strong unflattering metaphor for the Reedy River. That goes against your characterization.

There were people on here who scapegoated other people in Greenville for covid. You didn't complain about it because you agreed with the scapegoating. If I spoke up against that, you would pop up and call me argumentative. Saying things you don't like isn't the definition of argumentative. I've been talking about city and tourist stuff on here. Lighten up. You have complained about me, g-man, the writer of the article, and spencer on a tourism topic. The writer of the article and g-man both had an obvious tongue in cheek slant. Charleston's tourism is going to be fine.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-20-2022 at 08:26 PM..

Old 08-20-2022, 07:57 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Poor Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area