Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2022, 08:33 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Looks like you need a subscription to read that article. I assume the Greenville News doesn't go into Charleston because they don't think the Charleston market is profitable. That might be why the Post dipped into Greenville, to tap into a larger market.

I don't see an issue with hotels in downtown Greenville. All of the hotels going up are evidence that Greenville has strong tourism appeal along with the economic development.

A underrated aspect of downtown Greenville is there is no hospital complex which tend to be ugly. Hospitals undermine the good times escapism vibe you want in a downtown. It surprised me Charleston would allow MUSC to have that big facility on prime real estate.

Understood you can do beach and Charleston city stuff on same vacation. My point was about the numbers that you mentioned. A large percentage of people are going to go to a beach somewhere at some point. If you have a lemonade stand at the beach and it does a good business, does that mean the lemonade stand is what brought the people there. In other words, Charleston supplies a demand created by a natural feature. There's nothing wrong with that. I feel like from a tourism standpoint Charleston would basically be Williamsburg Virginia without the adjacent beaches. Williamsburg is a nice historical town to visit but it doesnt' get hyped up. Keep in mind it is only 1 hour from Virginia Beach.

The reason I point this out is some people said Greenville lags Charleston and talked about boosterism. But cities near beaches and "in" the mountains are the ones that get the most boosted. There's no question there are people who live around some history stuff like we do in the upstate but never visit any of it but then tout Charleston for history. For the majority of people, the interest in history seems to be directly proportional to the proximity of a historic site to a beach.

The historic site in 96 outside of Greenwood is a National Historic Site. I would say it is as interesting as Fort Sumter but doesn't get many visitors. This comment would be considered boosterism by many people. Basically every SC history professor that I had was a Charleston stan.
Some Greenville people are already seeing a problem, according to comments. Some day in the not too distant future, the Greenville city council will probably begin to think about a cap.

You're reaching and weak on your point about the beaches. The port has a lot to do with Charleston's size, but not the beaches. The beach towns' populations do add to the metro population. Charleston no doubt is a coastal city while Greenville no doubt is not a mountain city. Oh, well.

I wouldn't want to have to drive very far to get to MUSC. It's fine where it is, especially once the flood water tunnels have been completed to the tune of many $millions.

The Post and Courier is covering the state now. It is locally owned, and it decided it wanted to cover the state's major cities and metros for a South Carolina take on those places' news. It has many articles about other SC cities' news developments before those cities' local newspapers do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 09:11 AM

1,290 posts, read 783,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Only to some MAGA people
I don't think most people view the Charleston metro as a liberal place or associate elitism with it generally. Most of Charleston looks like everywhere USA. College of Charleston is less selective than Clemson and Furman. College of Charleston is basically the only really old college that is not highly ranked. The job market is associated with military and dept of defense.

The nicest area for many is Mt Pleasant which has been Republican. The GOP basically gets zero votes in the poorest areas of Charleston

When I lived there, I used to see people in hunting gear everywhere. I felt like I was in the Pee Dee.

Tucker Carlson was in disbelief that there were riots in Charleston. He described it as a beautiful city. I believe most MAGA people would agree. My SC history teachers unintentionally did a number on me regarding Charleston. I felt sorry for the other SC cities especially the Upstate bc my family vacationed at Oconee St Park and I had gone whitewater rafting with the Boy Scouts on the Chattooga.

I would think most of the tourists at fort Sumter and the other big sites are middle class.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-18-2022 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-18-2022, 10:00 AM

Not “Everywhere USA” has greater Charleston’s look, terrain-, vegetation-, or built environment-wise. The city and county are medium blue despite being 73 and 65% white respectively. That’s not MAGA.

I don’t follow Tucker Carlson. Too MAGA for me. A riot does not define a city. Washington DC isn’t defined by January 6th.

I haven’t researched the average or median income of the typical “big site” tourist attractions, but if they pick more than two or three per visit, they’re spending plenty on top of hotel accommodations.

Travel and Leisure just listed Columbia and Greenville on “12 places for an inexpensive vacation.” I just saw it yesterday. Might have been 11 places - whatever.

Charleston doesn’t claim to be cheap, and Travel and Leisure doesn’t claim it is. Many locals have been and continue to be priced out.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:41 AM

5,488 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
Only to some MAGA people
What does ones income need to be to be elite there? Most people around me do very well up here in Greenville as do I. Charleston isn't "elite" to me. It's a city like any other city with it's own vibe. I think trying to portray Greenville and Columbia as poor compared to Charleston is reaching a bit. Greenville's metro has the largest GDP in this state. Doesn't sound poor to me sir.

Old 08-18-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Not “Everywhere USA” has greater Charleston’s look, terrain-, vegetation-, or built environment-wise. The city and county are medium blue despite being 73 and 65% white respectively. That’s not MAGA.

I don’t follow Tucker Carlson. Too MAGA for me. A riot does not define a city. Washington DC isn’t defined by January 6th.

I haven’t researched the average or median income of the typical “big site” tourist attractions, but if they pick more than two or three per visit, they’re spending plenty on top of hotel accommodations.

Travel and Leisure just listed Columbia and Greenville on “12 places for an inexpensive vacation.” I just saw it yesterday. Might have been 11 places - whatever.

Charleston doesn’t claim to be cheap, and Travel and Leisure doesn’t claim it is. Many locals have been and continue to be priced out.

It feels like you have been saying the quiet part out loud. Not a good look.

The cost of tourism is an important aspect for many people especially given the high gas prices and inflation the late year and a half.

But I wouldn't say the cost to raft, rent a boat or jet ski, stay in hotel or state park cabin, Clemson football game, etc in the Upstate is inexpensive. The history stuff is and sometimes free.

One could argue it is hypocritical for Charleston to apologize to descendants of slaves but then charge them excessive amount to visit the plantations. If I can visit the 96 historic site for free, they should be able to visit the places their ancestors were enslaved without paying.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-18-2022 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-18-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
What does ones income need to be to be elite there? Most people around me do very well up here in Greenville as do I. Charleston isn't "elite" to me. It's a city like any other city with it's own vibe. I think trying to portray Greenville and Columbia as poor compared to Charleston is reaching a bit. Greenville's metro has the largest GDP in this state. Doesn't sound poor to me sir.
You could google a city-to-city comparison. I’ve done that several times. Home purchases and rents are more here than in the state’s other large metros. The median income is also higher.

Old 08-18-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
It feels like you have been saying the quiet part out loud. Not a good look.

The cost of tourism is an important aspect for many people especially given the high gas prices and inflation the late year and a half.

But I wouldn't say the cost to raft, rent a boat or jet ski, stay in hotel or state park cabin, Clemson football game, etc in the Upstate is inexpensive. The history stuff is and sometimes free.

One could argue it is hypocritical for Charleston to apologize to descendants of slaves but then charge them excessive amount to visit the plantations. If I can visit the 96 historic site for free, they should be able to visit the places their ancestors were enslaved without paying.
I’m not trying to create a “look.” It is what it is. A tour of Magnolia Plantation and Gardens with transportation from downtown Charleston is $80.79. Middleton is more. Yet the tourists keep coming. I guess whoever used to think nothing of hopping a jet to London or the West Coast now comes here, what with inflation and what not.

Apologizing for history and paying people’s way in the present would draw double the criticism the apology has drawn, I’m sure. Maybe they’ll work out a big discount or group rates.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:25 PM

A higher income doesn't mean anything if the housing costs are higher. That's probably based on a smaller number of workers given Charleston has a higher percentage of retirees than Greenville.

I interviewed with two companies on Daniel Island, Arcadis and RMF Engineering. Both offered a significantly lower salary than all of my employers in Greenville for the same position.

The city of Charleston isn't the entity that needs to apologize for slavery.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-18-2022 at 03:42 PM..

Old 08-18-2022, 03:54 PM

Looking at hotel rates in Charleston for Friday night.

Rooms in The Charleston Place downtown are starting at $646. Looks like the lowest rate for a hotel in the nicer part of the downtown is 400 or so. I saw one around East Bay St that was over $1000. That's insane. I feel like spending 80 dollars on a hotel room is a waste of money. There's no doubt the hotels in downtown lobbied the city for the ban on new ones. Never thought a person would try to spin a hotel cartel as a positive for a city. It is safe to say the average tourist isn't staying in downtown Charleston.

Hotel rooms around Main St in Greenville are approximately $215 or more for Friday night.

A person who dropped over 1000 on a hotel in downtown Charleston for one night would probably be the kind of person deeply concerned about Greenville boosterism. Greenville boosterism is not in the same solar system with Charleston boosterism.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-18-2022 at 04:32 PM..

Old 08-18-2022, 04:33 PM

5,488 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
You could google a city-to-city comparison. I’ve done that several times. Home purchases and rents are more here than in the state’s other large metros. The median income is also higher.
But the GDP isn't. Charleston isn't elite. You're starting to reach a little here. It has just as many poor people as the other areas man. Smh. You act like it's LA, NY, or San Diego. I can live anywhere in this state comfortably. My ex lives comfortably down there and makes about half what I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area