Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2022, 09:48 AM

1,290 posts, read 782,504 times

Advertisements

All architecture is contrived.

I agree with you regarding tall buildings.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jacksonville Florida has more tourists in the metro than Charleston on the average day even though downtown Jacksonville gets no hype.

I don't know if you watch Westworld on HBO but Charleston seems like a colonial and antebellum version of Westworld theme park, without the robots.

Right now Greenville has a vibe like Manhattan did in it first boom prior to ruining it with the skyscrapers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 12:42 PM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Charleston has a New York vibe at street level if we must use NYC as the standard. It is a busy, lively place.

Speaking of reinvention:
https://charlestoncitypaper.com/char...HBG0mOV1iXE0vU

Old 08-31-2022, 12:55 PM

Plus, what I call nook and cranny restorations have been completed or are going on in virtually every nook and cranny all across Charleston, and the ones on the peninsula’s street corners and in so many serendipitous spots are half Charleston’s draw now.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:16 AM

What is an example of a nook and cranny the average tourist would visit?

I think Greenville could increase tourism significantly if the city ran television ads presenting Greenville as the Asheville alternative, especially if they run the ads on networks with an audience more likely to be open to the message. The average CNN and MSNBC viewer probably can not be talked into visiting Greenville over Asheville.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
What is an example of a nook and cranny the average tourist would visit?

I think Greenville could increase tourism significantly if the city ran television ads presenting Greenville as the Asheville alternative, especially if they run the ads on networks with an audience more likely to be open to the message. The average CNN and MSNBC viewer probably can not be talked into visiting Greenville over Asheville.
The tourist(s) who like(s) to explore on foot or bicycle and see the non-touristy spots. There are new eateries and other businesses on streets that used to be where to go to buy street drugs. And the footprint of restorations and re-use in such sections on the upper peninsula is expanding exponentially.

I don’t like the idea of invoking other cities in a tourism campaign. Promoting on merit alone is what I like to see.

Old 09-01-2022, 01:42 PM

The Don Draper Mad Men approach is more fun. It'll be merit based too

Old 09-01-2022, 03:35 PM

46 posts, read 43,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
The Don Draper Mad Men approach is more fun. It'll be merit based too
"Greenville.. The cure for the common Asheville". (plus merit of some sort also !)

Old 09-01-2022, 08:52 PM

Wow. Time flies. This article is already eight months old.

https://washingtonlife.com/2021/12/0...at-has-it-all/

Old 09-01-2022, 09:24 PM

That article goes against the reinvention theme you presented for Charleston. It is the same old history stuff again. It's time to come back to the future.

I feel bad for the kids who are forced to go on those carriage rides with their parents. That's the ultimate tourist trap.

Seems just like yesterday when I first read this article in the Post and Courier entitled "City charming to the eyes but offensive to the nose" about the horse related odors downtown. That's on top of the pluff mud and paper mill odors.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...66481fb82.html

Old 09-01-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Charleston has always produced some interesting characters.
I thought you were from The OC, Orangeburg County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area