Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2022, 05:07 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
But the GDP isn't. Charleston isn't elite. You're starting to reach a little here. It has just as many poor people as the other areas man. Smh. You act like it's LA, NY, or San Diego. I can live anywhere in this state comfortably. My ex lives comfortably down there and makes about half what I do.
GDP isn’t where to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 05:18 PM

Ryder - as strategic as they come in downtown - $289 -

He who can’t cut it, don’t come. Charleston will be be fine, and is getting better all the time.

Such a silly topic. Such a silly thread. And the silliest part is the provinciality. SC had better hope Charleston continues to do well with tourism. And Greenville and Columbia’s can’t hurt the state’s bottom line.

Old 08-18-2022, 05:22 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
GDP isn’t where to look.
Sure it is. Clear indicator of a metro areas' economy production. Stop acting like Charleston is the best thing since sliced bread in SC. Lol. This is turning into what used to be typical for the average Charleston poster on here. A little bit of unwarranted arrogance. I understand you're trying to prove a point to someone, but it isn't going to work. It will just continue to go back and forth. You aren't changing anyone's mind with this.

Old 08-18-2022, 05:23 PM

1,290 posts, read 784,698 times
The Charleston Place hotel, starting at $646 on Friday night, is directly across King St from the Rack Room Shoes.

For that rate, you could be getting beach access or ski slope access somewhere, not access to a shoe store found in most towns with any retail.

Charlestondata, I thought you had presented Charleston as a progressive city but you don't seem concerned about people being priced out in downtown Charleston. Everybody has a seat at the table in a truly progressive city.

Charleston's tourism only benefits people who work in that industry. Has no relationship to most people in SC. I do believe a hotel limit imposed by the city of Charleston should be overruled by the state on anti-trust grounds. Why is the city blocking free enterprise.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-18-2022 at 05:38 PM..

Old 08-18-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Sure it is. Clear indicator of a metro areas' economy production. Stop acting like Charleston is the best thing since sliced bread in SC. Lol. This is turning into what used to be typical for the average Charleston poster on here. A little bit of unwarranted arrogance. I understand you're trying to prove a point to someone, but it isn't going to work. It will just continue to go back and forth. You aren't changing anyone's mind with this.
I’m not acting like Charleston is anything. I just compared on Nerd Wallet. To maintain a standard of living in Greenville that someone making $50,000 in Charleston-North Charleston has, you need to make $48,149. Not sure why they compare Charleston-North Charleston to Greenville instead of to Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin. North Charleston’s cheap compared to Charleston.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
The Charleston Place hotel, starting at $646 on Friday night, is directly across King St from the Rack Room Shoes.

For that rate, you could be getting beach access or ski slope access somewhere, not access to a shoe store found in most towns with any retail.

Charlestondata, I thought you had presented Charleston as a progressive city but you don't seem concerned about people being priced out in downtown Charleston. Everybody has a seat at the table in a truly progressive city.

Charleston's tourism only benefits people who work in that industry. Has no relationship to most people in SC. I do believe a hotel limit imposed by the city of Charleston should be overruled by the state on anti-trust grounds. Why is the city blocking free enterprise.
When Greenville tourism catches up with Charleston’s, you’ll probably be singing a different tune. Ask Barcelona. Like NYC isn’t progressive. Like San Francisco isn’t progressive. Free American enterprise in Greenville is pricing people out of downtown as well. That’s American cities for you.

The state’s GDP and budget are used to the tourism dollars spent in Charleston. It’s not just a Charleston thing.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Money dot CNN says you only need $45,000 in Greenville for the same standard of living as $50,000 in Charleston.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
The average wage in metro Charleston is $1.68 higher than in Greenville, or $3,494 higher per year as of May, 2021. That’s nothing to wave off by SC standards on the face of it. The median home price is $100,000 more in Charleston. It’s like asking which is more “elite,” San Francisco or Sacramento.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:39 PM

1,290 posts, read 784,698 times
Greenville seems to get the right amount of tourism in my view. I'd be ok with less. It has taken me a half hour to drive down Main Street some evenings. This area is probably going to double in population in the next 30 years. Greenville County is already the most SC populated county by a significant margin.

I kind of miss the late 90s version of Greenville when it was more off the grid but well liked by people who knew about it.

Those "elite" cities you mentioned are also known for heartbreaking homelessness and drug addicts in the street. Wealth doesn't cancel out poverty.

I think Greenville and Clemson's football program have had a similar trajectory. Many people who like to put cities and football programs into tiers seem to have a problem with Greenville and Clemson. They think Greenville and Clemson fans are uppity and neither is a "blueblood". The upstate has a fun underdog David slaying Goliath vibe.

You can say things like Greenville's downtown is America's Downtown and Clemson is America's College Town to be cheeky yet it is still plausible. The critics don't get it like they don't get Dabo's "Little Ol Clemson" thing.

Check out these touristy quotes about Greenville from various publications: https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/ab...le-are-saying/

Charlestondata, soon to be Greenvilledata, will appreciate this one: “With apologies to Charleston, Greenville is the next South Atlantic hotspot.”
-Smarter Travel

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-18-2022 at 07:29 PM..

Old 08-18-2022, 07:41 PM

423 posts, read 899,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Looking at hotel rates in Charleston for Friday night.

Rooms in The Charleston Place downtown are starting at $646. Looks like the lowest rate for a hotel in the nicer part of the downtown is 400 or so. I saw one around East Bay St that was over $1000. That's insane. I feel like spending 80 dollars on a hotel room is a waste of money. There's no doubt the hotels in downtown lobbied the city for the ban on new ones. Never thought a person would try to spin a hotel cartel as a positive for a city. It is safe to say the average tourist isn't staying in downtown Charleston.

Hotel rooms around Main St in Greenville are approximately $215 or more for Friday night.

A person who dropped over 1000 on a hotel in downtown Charleston for one night would probably be the kind of person deeply concerned about Greenville boosterism. Greenville boosterism is not in the same solar system with Charleston boosterism.
College of Charleston fall move-in dates are this weekend, so Downtown hotels will probably be higher than other weekends. The last few times I have visited Charleston I have stayed in Mount Pleasant. It’s a lot cheaper than anywhere on the peninsula. I went to C of C about 40 years ago when C of C was much smaller, and at the time it was harder to get into C of C, especially if you needed on-campus housing, than it was to get in Clemson. I applied to both schools early in my senior year of HS and got into Clemson in December and C of C in March. They are totally different college experiences and you can’t compare the two schools, just like you can’t really compare Greenville to Charleston because they are so different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area