Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 02:43 PM

1,290 posts, read 782,504 times

Advertisements

https://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-city-park/

USA Today's Readers' Choice awards has Falls Park as the 3rd best city park in the country. I don't see a Charleston park on that list.

Please keep in mind, Greenville has 3 other parks linked to Falls Park along the Reedy River. Starting at the zoo, the parks are Cleveland Park, Cancer Survivors Park, Falls Park, Unity Park. It is about a 2 mile walk one way between Cleveland and Unity parks.

The oldest city park is at the other end of Main Street, McPherson Park.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 07-22-2022 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 02:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Greenville actually added more people than Charleston last year. It's area is already more populated.
Thus Greenville’s growth rate is slightly slower. That’s what fast-growing means. I didn’t crunch any numbers to see if any SC municipalities that are commonly known as our “cities” have a faster growth rate than Charleston’s 25+% municipal growth from 2010-2020. The Myrtle Beach newspaper might be inaccurate on that.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:01 PM

Charleston's growth rate is largely driven by retirees and the government related jobs. Even the power company, Santee Cooper, is run by the state government. Comparing its growth rate to a private sector oriented metro like Greenville isn't apples to apples.

BMW has employees who live all over the Upstate. It is probably a little closer to downtown Greenville than downtown Spartanburg and it has a Greer address. I believe half of the Greer addresses are in Greenville County.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 07-22-2022 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-22-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Charleston's growth rate is largely driven by retirees and the government related jobs. Even the power company, Santee Cooper, is run by the state government. Comparing its growth rate to a private sector oriented metro like Greenville isn't apples to apples.

BMW has employees who live all over the Upstate. It is probably a little closer to downtown Greenville than downtown Spartanburg and it has a Greer address. I believe half of the Greer addresses are in Greenville County.
Fast-growing is fast-growing. I’m retired.

Meanwhile, no South Carolina city is on Livability’s just-released best cities to live in in 2022 list. Where to live is really what it’s about. That doesn’t mean any list by itself means much.

Old 07-22-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I get that. I wondered why you switched metro size and jobs numbers.
…switched to…

Old 07-22-2022, 09:00 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Percentage rates are flawed. If a town has 2000 people and adds let's say 500. Using this it's the fastest growing. But it isn't going to catch a city that is adding many more people despite this growth rate. Especially if that place already has more people. Raw numbers are as concrete as you can get.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Percentage rates are flawed. If a town has 2000 people and adds let's say 500. Using this it's the fastest growing. But it isn't going to catch a city that is adding many more people despite this growth rate. Especially if that place already has more people. Raw numbers are as concrete as you can get.
Every year, all that journalists writing about population stats want to talk about is “fastest-growing cities.” They don’t care what sizes.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:18 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Every year, all that journalists writing about population stats want to talk about is “fastest-growing cities.” They don’t care what sizes.
Doesn't matter what they say. The truth is the truth. Charlotte grows at a faster rate than Atlanta too, but it'll never catch it because it doesn't add more people to it's area.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:55 AM

28 posts, read 31,304 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter what they say. The truth is the truth. Charlotte grows at a faster rate than Atlanta too, but it'll never catch it because it doesn't add more people to it's area.

yeah, most of charlotte's growth is driven by annexation of any and everything around it. imagine if atlanta did the same.

i think the best the upstate can hope for is the federal omb to recombine spartanburg/greenville into the same msa next year when they release their official list.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:11 AM

It is weird how travel writers tend to mention Charleston in their articles about Greenville. It makes more sense to pitch another beach city like Wilmington as an alternative to Charleston. A beach stan or history buff isn't coming to Greenville for their vacation.

After visiting the California coast around San Fran and Santa Cruz, I'm not sure I can get excited about visiting the Atlantic coast again outside of Maine. The scenery never changes and I don't care for marshland and palm trees that much. I love the sea stacks, natural arches, cliffs , little mountains, sea lions and evergreens along the California and Oregon coasts,

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 07-23-2022 at 06:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area