Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2022, 10:49 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,748,565 times

Advertisements

Move over, Greenville. After a year at #2 following 10 years in a row at #1, Charleston is back on top as the #1 small city on Conde Nast’s Best Cities 2022 list.

“Maybe it’s the cobblestone streets. Or the friendly locals. Or the incredible food, charming hotels, and endless water views. Whatever the reason, …

“Charleston is no stranger to accolades. Our readers named it the best small city for an incredible 10 consecutive years until it was edged out by Aspen in 2021—not surprising, with most travelers seeking out wide open spaces during the pandemic. But the Holy City took back its crown this year, and everything feels relatively normal once again.”

In other words, if we hadn’t had a pandemic, Charleston would be #1 for 12 years now.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/cha...kP1I9W_rNo-UME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 03:27 PM

1,290 posts, read 783,543 times
Here's part of that article:

"Travelers have a major reason to visit Charleston in 2023, as well: In January, the city will open the highly anticipated International African American Museum (IAAM). The museum has been built upon a former slave trading port, and it will feature artifacts and exhibitions to educate visitors about the African diaspora and how it continues to affect culture, justice, and equality today."

That's the challenge with history tourism....some people want to politicize it. It should be about what happened back then. The slavery era has no relationship to today. Today the problem is people not taking advantage of the opportunities and freedom they have.

Old 10-04-2022, 03:47 PM

This is one of the things that annoys me about Charleston's setup. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7693...7i16384!8i8192

At the Battery, cars parallel park next to the sidewalk by the bay. Kind of detracts from the natural setting and historic vibes to walk next to a row of cars.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Here's part of that article:

"Travelers have a major reason to visit Charleston in 2023, as well: In January, the city will open the highly anticipated International African American Museum (IAAM). The museum has been built upon a former slave trading port, and it will feature artifacts and exhibitions to educate visitors about the African diaspora and how it continues to affect culture, justice, and equality today."

That's the challenge with history tourism....some people want to politicize it. It should be about what happened back then. The slavery era has no relationship to today. Today the problem is people not taking advantage of the opportunities and freedom they have.
Wishful thinking on our long history of slavery having no effect on culture, justice and equality today. No one said anyone should use that history as a crutch. The 3+ slavery centuries of this nation’s history and the Civil Rights era that happened in my lifetime absolutely have a relationship to today. Ask any history professor or sociologist.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
This is one of the things that annoys me about Charleston's setup. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7693...7i16384!8i8192

At the Battery, cars parallel park next to the sidewalk by the bay. Kind of detracts from the natural setting and historic vibes to walk next to a row of cars.
Stretching. No one walks in the street to look at the water. They walk on the wide sidewalk beside the guard rail.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:10 PM

The sidewalk runs between the rail and the street with the cars.

I don't know why a tourist would choose to walk here over the beach unless it is to not see people with their shirts off. Wish there was a shirt required policy at the beach.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Wishful thinking on our long history of slavery having no effect on culture, justice and equality today. No one said anyone should use that history as a crutch. The 3+ slavery centuries of this nation’s history and the Civil Rights era that happened in my lifetime absolutely have a relationship to today. Ask any history professor or sociologist.
How does the slavery era relate to the demographic trends associate with modern violent crimes? Being a victim of a violent crime is an injustice.

The history professors and sociologists you reference would use slavery as an excuse for these violent crimes. That's a crucial part of being "woke". You've complained about criminals being released from jail with no bail or low bail. Why do you think they are doing that?

It is the same reason Charleston and other cities were slow to crack down on the riots.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 10-04-2022 at 04:34 PM..

Old 10-04-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
The sidewalk runs between the rail and the street with the cars.

I don't know why a tourist would choose to walk here over the beach unless it is to not see people with their shirts off. Wish there was a shirt required policy at the beach.
“Here” (the battery) is where the Ashley and Cooper rivers meet to form the Atlantic Ocean. The sound of the water lapping over the rocks, boats of all sizes and types, dolphins, pelicans, seagulls, flowers, the sunrise, and cargo ships are a few reasons people love to walk on the harbor, not to mention White Point Garden and beautiful mansions just across the street. And lots of shirtless men walk and/or jog on the battery. Again, stretching.

Greenville has angled parking on Main Street (so small town-ish), and angled parking is an eyesore compared to parallel parking. Plus it’s easier to see what’s coming when leaving a parallel space.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:30 PM

Angled parking is much better. It already takes awhile to drive down Main Street. More parallel parking would add to the wait. I don't get how angled parking is related to small towns. There are parallel parking spaces in small towns like Abbeville and Clemson.

You can walk in Falls Park without walking next to a row of cars.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:18 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Please don't ruin Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area