Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:34 PM

102 posts, read 461,003 times

Advertisements

We are planning a trip so that we can see the beauty for ourselves. Any suggestions on a good hotel in GV?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 PM

30 posts, read 167,106 times
Hi. A good hotel to stay in is the Hampton Inn downtown. It is a really nice Hampton Inn and will give you a chance to check out the downtown area. The Lazy Goat, TRIO, or Smoke on the Water are great restaurants to visit. Be sure to get some bubble tea at OCHA tea.
As for acceptance, I recently moved here from Florida and have found the people to be very friendly. It is like anywhere else, if you are friendly, then people will be friendly to you. It will be a nice place to raise your 10 year old daughter. I do not know much about the schools in Greenville Co., but you should be able to get information off the internet. Good luck

Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
I agree with Pooh. Check out High Cotton restaurant or one of the others Pooh has suggested at Riverplace.

Last edited by waccamatt; 07-28-2008 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basa9159 View Post
I'm in the restaurant industry and would like to live in a "burb with a good school system to commute from. Any suggestions?
The job market is booming right now. We have jobs being created left and right whether it be Carolina First's new headquarters that will create 600 new jobs or BMW's expansion that will create 500 new jobs. This link should help you out a lot: Southeast Real Estate Business Restaurant industry? You have to check out downtown Greenville then. Over 100 restaurants downtown alone. Awesome chefs, locally owned, etc.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:28 AM

Hey G, sorry I PMed you before I got to check out the posts.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Hey G, sorry I PMed you before I got to check out the posts.
It's quite alright. I sent you a PM anyway to help you out.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Just don't come here after fleeing wherever you are and then try to make The South "just like home". If you hated where you lived so much then why would you try to make things like before?

Please don't try to change The South.

The difference between a Yankee and a D*mn Yankee is that a Yankee doesn't try to change the culture. A Yankee also doesn't complain about the differences in culture.
The sentiment expressed in your post is thankfully not representative of Greenville. One great thing about all of the transplants and international corporations in Greenville is that it provides diversity of lifestyle and opinion. The result is that Greenville has lost a lot of the "old South" mentality (such as the one you seem to have). Compare the general attitude in Greenville to other Southern cities, and I think you will find it to be very "new South" and progressive. Most people - natives and newcomers alike - find that very refreshing.

To basa9159: there are obviously those who are still fighting the Civil War in their minds, and view anyone not from the area as an invader who must be a robot or else be labeled a "Yankee." Don't let those people scare you! They don't represent the area at all. Most people have had wonderful experiences relocating to Greenville, have been welcomed with open arms, and have built lasting friendships. I know so many people who have moved to the area and have absolutely fallen in love with it. The area's positive growth rate is but one indication of that.

As a Greenville native, I do not view the South as some institution that must be worshiped. It is merely an area of the country, with its own collection of advantages and disadvantages. There are certainly pockets in the South (usually more rural places) that have a very rural, small-town feel with a higher percentage of people who want to keep things the same way. Venture into the larger population centers, and the Hollywood stereotypes go away in favor of progress and improvement. To those "in the know," Greenville is a real gem of a city that is making great strides. Hopefully you will feel the same way after you have visited!

Last edited by Greenville; 07-30-2008 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the honesty!

Having lived in Fl for the last 24 yrs the best people I've met are from the upper states. People down here are very transient, they come and go like the wind. We just want a friendly place to put roots down and raise our 10 yr old daughter. We're decent blue collar folk who would like a small friendly community with low crime and good schools.
Boy do I know what you mean! People don't even like it if you are friendly in line at the market. Everyone I meet who has visited the Greenville/Simpsonville area tells me people are much more sociable.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:11 PM

Are you planning a move too?.......

Old 08-01-2008, 03:00 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
The sentiment expressed in your post is thankfully not representative of Greenville. One great thing about all of the transplants and international corporations in Greenville is that it provides diversity of lifestyle and opinion. The result is that Greenville has lost a lot of the "old South" mentality (such as the one you seem to have). Compare the general attitude in Greenville to other Southern cities, and I think you will find it to be very "new South" and progressive. Most people - natives and newcomers alike - find that very refreshing.

To basa9159: there are obviously those who are still fighting the Civil War in their minds, and view anyone not from the area as an invader who must be a robot or else be labeled a "Yankee." Don't let those people scare you! They don't represent the area at all. Most people have had wonderful experiences relocating to Greenville, have been welcomed with open arms, and have built lasting friendships. I know so many people who have moved to the area and have absolutely fallen in love with it. The area's positive growth rate is but one indication of that.

As a Greenville native, I do not view the South as some institution that must be worshiped. It is merely an area of the country, with its own collection of advantages and disadvantages. There are certainly pockets in the South (usually more rural places) that have a very rural, small-town feel with a higher percentage of people who want to keep things the same way. Venture into the larger population centers, and the Hollywood stereotypes go away in favor of progress and improvement. To those "in the know," Greenville is a real gem of a city that is making great strides. Hopefully you will feel the same way after you have visited!
In case you didn't read the OP said she wanted a small town, so why are you still talking about Greenville? Everyone loves to play up the mid-sized city thing.

I don't have a problem with anyone who isn't from here (one of my parents is from the North). What's wrong with keeping things the same way? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Do you really want people moving to your area and complaining about it?

I've been to big cities and while they have a lot of nice material things, they lack in other areas. No one smiles, everyone looks sad or angry and they're all in a big hurry. They are careful talking to people for fear of being robbed or hurt. I think that fear is understandable but I'd rather not have that fear. All this but at least they can say they're "progressive" because they have a bunch of different stuff. If that's progress then I don't want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area