Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:56 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times

Advertisements

You guys could be right, I just have never seen lights on shopping center property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
oh and the roads that run through ICAR are actual roads, not a parking lot, and its a great quick cut to woodruff rd. if you are coming in that way.
Agreed, but the parking lot reference was to cutting through the lot in front of Whole Foods as a way to get from Carolina Parkway to Market Point Drive (which cuts out 2 traffic lights of wait)

Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
I didn't read through alll the posts, so I'm not sure if anyone mentoined this already.

In SOFLA the newer shopping centers have the absolute WORSE layouts - and they say there's a reason for the ridiculous madness, though I don't agree with it, but then, who am I to question those who've gone to college and gotten a degree to create this madness?

They claim they do this so if there's a robbery it's hard to get out - yeah, right! There's a few new shopping centers within 2 miles from my home, one has a Publix grocery store. Across the street is a Walgreens. If I'm at Walgreens I cannot cross the street to get to Publix (legally) The easiest way is to go out of Walgreens, to the light, make a U-turn and go to Publix.

The mazes they've made out of parking lots, forget about it being for security, forget about it confusing potential robbers, it confuses customers

I've seen many people cut across a street to go from one side to another illegally, and admit at the beginning when the places opened, I did too.

BUT, the solution is easy, at least for me - I don't go to these stores at these locations, there's others in the area that with old-school parking lots that make sense and are easy in and out access.

I saw the madness on Woodruff my first Sunday here and felt I was back in SOFLA. Bumper to bumper going nowhere fast. I didn't know it was anything like that and had no idea what I was getting myself in to, no idea how many stores were there. I will do exactly what I do in SOFLA - I don't go to these places on the weekends. I don't have a job at the present and find during the week I can go to places like this and leave the weekends to those who work and have no other choice than to go there. I had to take my Aunt to Sams Club yesterday and I could only find one on Woodruff - during the late afternoon on a Monday, it wasn't bad at all.

As for the parking and driving situations, I hope those who come up with these terrible plans stop designing them as such. If it's for security as they claim, if someone is going to do a robbery, I don't feel a parking lot layout is going to stop them. Just MHO!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
If Greenridge is unable to properly manage their traffic they should hand it over to the county to be better managed.
now this is a good idea! its a big enough shopping center that it might make more sense do have it done that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Agreed, but the parking lot reference was to cutting through the lot in front of Whole Foods as a way to get from Carolina Parkway to Market Point Drive (which cuts out 2 traffic lights of wait)
oic, my mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I will do exactly what I do in SOFLA - I don't go to these places on the weekends. I don't have a job at the present and find during the week I can go to places like this and leave the weekends to those who work and have no other choice than to go there. I had to take my Aunt to Sams Club yesterday and I could only find one on Woodruff - during the late afternoon on a Monday, it wasn't bad at all.
This idea makes perfect sense and is exactly what GMan was saying, except it doesn't work for those of us that work and go to school during the week, or work a 9-5 mon-fri. busiest times for retail businesses are friday saturday and sunday, this isn't going to change because people suddenly realize they can go during the week.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:28 AM

470 posts, read 595,364 times
Does anyone know what they are doing to Woodruff Rd. In the Five Forks area? Near 296

Old 03-14-2010, 05:15 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
Does anyone know what they are doing to Woodruff Rd. In the Five Forks area? Near 296
Are you talking about where the road construction is going on just past Publix? If yes, they are adding turn lanes on Woodruff Road so it doesn't get backed up there anymore with people turning left.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:05 AM

470 posts, read 595,364 times
Yes, Thanks

Old 03-15-2010, 08:18 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Are you talking about where the road construction is going on just past Publix? If yes, they are adding turn lanes on Woodruff Road so it doesn't get backed up there anymore with people turning left.
I know it's financially not doable, but I don't think in a metro area like ours that there should still be ANY 2-lane roads left without turn lanes in the middle in the year 2010! Outside residential neighborhoods of course. <rant over now>

Old 05-24-2010, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,228 times
Does anyone know how bad the woodruff traffic is between 7:30 - 8:00 in the morning on weekdays?

Old 05-24-2010, 02:21 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
It backs up heading toward Greenville, between Five Forks and I-85.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area