Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 11:37 AM

241 posts, read 386,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Supermercado La Unica is a popular Hispanic supermarket with two locations, Wade Hampton Boulevard, Taylors; and White Horse Plaza, White Horse Road, Greenville. I am sure that location would be good for them, but residents in the North Main Street district would prefer someone along the lines of Ingle's and Publix. Unfortunately, there are not locations at the moment to satisfy their needs.
I'd be okay with La Unica.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:41 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I would suspect what business would be renting the space would be responsible for their business license. As

Supermercado La Unica is a popular Hispanic supermarket with two locations, Wade Hampton Boulevard, Taylors; and White Horse Plaza, White Horse Road, Greenville. I am sure that location would be good for them, but residents in the North Main Street district would prefer someone along the lines of Ingle's and Publix. Unfortunately, there are not locations at the moment to satisfy their needs.
I still don't get why N Main needs a major name, grocery there when Publix (McBee), Ingles (Poinsett Hwy) and Bilo ( Rutherford) are just a hop skip and a jump away. I suspect many of the N Main residents were driving around that baby Bilo and going to the above mentioned stores with a greater variety or that small Bilo would still be open. When the Walmart neighborhood market opened a few miles away on Wade Hampton that was probably the final straw with Bilo on closing that N Main store.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:45 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
I still don't understand why people are thinking this is going to be a Hispanic supermarket.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I still don't understand why people are thinking this is going to be a Hispanic supermarket.
Could be a regular small independent similar to what the 8 0clock used to be or a Family Dollar or A Dollar General Market.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:52 PM

I called Alvarez Enterprises. He said the current plan is to demolish the building and put in a mixed use, 4 story building with residences above a supermarket. Still working with architects, needs ground testing, approval, etc. Demo might start in April.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:31 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfuprof View Post
I called Alvarez Enterprises. He said the current plan is to demolish the building and put in a mixed use, 4 story building with residences above a supermarket. Still working with architects, needs ground testing, approval, etc. Demo might start in April.
Awesome idea for that property.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:56 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I still don't get why N Main needs a major name, grocery there when Publix (McBee), Ingles (Poinsett Hwy) and Bilo ( Rutherford) are just a hop skip and a jump away. I suspect many of the N Main residents were driving around that baby Bilo and going to the above mentioned stores with a greater variety or that small Bilo would still be open. When the Walmart neighborhood market opened a few miles away on Wade Hampton that was probably the final straw with Bilo on closing that N Main store.
Ingle's on Poinsett Highway and Bi-Lo on North Pleasantburg Drive serve different areas. Unless you want to drive out of your way, not many people living downtown would shop at those stores.

North Main Street's Bi-Lo's closing was not affected by Walmart Neighborhood Market. Bi-Lo is closing stores in the area. North Main Street was the first of many. Another location is closing in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I shared the idea of a Hispanic supermarket, then countered the idea the North Main Street District wants a traditional supermarket along the lines of Ingle's and Publix.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Awesome idea for that property.
This has been the kind of development I am hoping for. I can imagine a neighborhood supermarket something slightly larger than Publix at McBee Station with two or three parking levels above the supermarket, then three or four levels of residences.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Nice. Shoot. Go for a CityTarget there with groceries and other merch.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:07 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Excellent.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:10 AM

Re: 505 N Main

I see that this thread sparked a similar one on a different forum. Before people take my post as gospel, I should express some doubts that I have that this project will even happen. One, why apply for a business license a few months before you want to demolish the place? Two, the finances for a project this size (he says it is 3.4 acres of property) seem pretty steep for a developer who hasn't been able to bring in hardly any tenants to a prime location for the past 5-10 years.

Someone who knows a bit more about how development in Greenville works should probably call this developer to get a sense of whether or not this might really happen.

Alvarez Enterprises in Greenville, South Carolina with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area