Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times

Advertisements

[quote=TiredOfSFL;5130366]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post

LOL!

g-man430:

Thanks for the welcome (and for sharing your pics!). Did you live down here too? If so, where?
Nah. Born and raised in Greenville. My cousins live in Orlando though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 12:03 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryl1952 View Post
Both my husband and I will be moving to Greer from florida. Where would you suggest we look. We are looking for a neighborhood that offers activities and of course safety. What areas would you suggest. Not wanting to make this move. Job opportunity for my husband!
What's your price range? What job market? Any kids?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:01 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,938 times
Meryl1952:

While the people "in the know" show up to answer your question (if they notice it here among all these pages...) I'm curious as to where in FL you are and why you don't want to move. I'm going to guess that you have family and love it here. I'm in S. FL and can't stand it any longer and so do a number of other people, but of course, I understand that's not the case with everyone. However, my first thought when I read your post was "how I wish I could trade places with her!". If I had the assurance of getting a job in Greenville soon I wouldn't hesitate to leave ASAP, even "sight unseen"!

Old 09-30-2008, 03:04 PM

36 posts, read 122,767 times
Default like it

didn't like the fact that there's not much snow to be seen in the winter months, but the gorgeous fall helps. sometimes driving means taking your life in your own hands (and hopefully hanging on), but you get used to it and hopefully are a better, more careful driver yourself and don't succumb to the craziness of other drivers. mountains, beaches & overall pleasant climate are all positives.

A+++

Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 AM

13 posts, read 60,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginat View Post
Oh I Need Help Someone. My Hubby And I Are Looking To Move Out To The Greenville Area. We Currently Live In Cleveland Ohio, And My Biggest Problem I See Is The School System In Greenville Get's Horrible Ratings. What Other Cities Are Close By That Have A Great School System? As A Mom Of 2 Little One's That Is The #1 Thing At This Time. I Would Appreciate The Feedback. Thanks.
My husband and I moved to Greenville from Ohio for his job promotion with 2 little one's (now we have 3 little ones) almost 4 years ago. We live in Simpsonville and the best elementary schools in that area are Bethel, Mauldin and Bells Crossing are okay and Oakwood is good. My boys go to Bethel and it's a great school. A little bigger then schools in Ohio they went to but I haven't seen much a difference academic wise. We've been very happy with it.

We are moving out of Greenville though because my husband is taking another job promotion and we want to get back North to our family in Ohio and Michigan. The area is lovely and it's been great being close to the beach and mountains but frankly, I miss the North. I miss the snow, the cooler summers and the people. And it's hard for our family to travel down here through the mountains and for me to travel by myself up there. So I'm anxious to leave but will miss it here. Plus jobs for me have been hard to get.

Anyways, we are waiting on our house to sell and aren't having any luck. Once it does though, we'll be moving.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 PM

166 posts, read 411,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Stevens View Post
I have lived in Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Texas (DFW) and now here and this is by far the best place I have ever lived. It is very family-friendly here and the people, even the transplants like me, are extremely friendly. My husband calls it the best-kept secret.
extremely hot there in the summer

Old 01-01-2009, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 40,511 times
Default My Southern Friends Love my Brooklyn Accent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereElse View Post
The problem is rude northerners moving here. Upstate SC is a great place, because of the people. When you get 1000's of northerners to move here, it losses the southern flair, there is nothing worse than going into a store in South Carolina and the clerk or whomever starts talking with that Brooklyn accent, what a turn off. Makes me turn around and leave.
Hi There Ya'll,
I have been reading this thread because of my interest in relocating to Greenville. Visited a couple of days ago and absolutely loved it!
Originally from Brooklyn NY and spent the last 14 years here in Johnson City, TN (Southern City). I have made numerous friends here and most people here tell me that they like my accent. People here are different and I assume they will be much the same in Greenville. And I really have enjoyed that difference....It was a shocker for me when I first came to TN and someone smiled without an ulterior motive. Yes...it's nice to look people in the face and converse eye to eye. People here are warm, friendly and accepting of you...however, here's the secret....it is to observe the good and make your observations known....the response 99% of the time will draw a positive from that person....Now don't we all want this?
Greenville appears to be beautiful to me....I loved main street and look forward to enjoying all it has to offer. My focus for where I will reside will be more along the lines of Travelers Rest....rural and scenic, peaceful lifestyle and quick and easy access to your beautiful Greenville.
Thanks.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:13 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariakay View Post
Hi There Ya'll,
I have been reading this thread because of my interest in relocating to Greenville. Visited a couple of days ago and absolutely loved it!
Originally from Brooklyn NY and spent the last 14 years here in Johnson City, TN (Southern City). I have made numerous friends here and most people here tell me that they like my accent. People here are different and I assume they will be much the same in Greenville. And I really have enjoyed that difference....It was a shocker for me when I first came to TN and someone smiled without an ulterior motive. Yes...it's nice to look people in the face and converse eye to eye. People here are warm, friendly and accepting of you...however, here's the secret....it is to observe the good and make your observations known....the response 99% of the time will draw a positive from that person....Now don't we all want this?
Greenville appears to be beautiful to me....I loved main street and look forward to enjoying all it has to offer. My focus for where I will reside will be more along the lines of Travelers Rest....rural and scenic, peaceful lifestyle and quick and easy access to your beautiful Greenville.
Thanks.
I'm sure I'd like hearing your accent too. I'd really like it though if I was hearing it in Brooklyn instead of South Carolina.

Look, I'm sure you're a wonderful person but Greenville is bigger than Johnson City, Tennessee and likely has more transplants diluting our Southerness.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:01 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Guestposter, you mean diluting your "Southernness." I was born in Greenville and have lived here most of my life, but consider this intolerant type of "North vs. South" garbage to be a remnant of the redneck faction, ignorantly wishing the Civil War hadn't ended. In my opinion, the large number of transplants (Northern and otherwise) has helped in making the Upstate a much better place to live. Eastern Tennessee, southwestern Virginia, and eastern portions of Kentucky make up one of the most racially and culturally un-diverse regions in the nation. If you wonder why I say that, just spend any reasonable amount of time there in person.

Mariakay, you would not be in any way unwelcome living here as a transplant. Sure there is a small group of individuals who feel it is their duty to be intolerant of anything related with "the North," but they are living in the past, completely out of touch with the reality that they are actually living in a vibrant, growing, and diverse community of people from all parts of the world.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:03 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Guestposter, you mean diluting your "Southernness." I was born in Greenville and have lived here most of my life, but consider this intolerant type of "North vs. South" garbage to be a remnant of the redneck faction, ignorantly wishing the Civil War hadn't ended. In my opinion, the large number of transplants (Northern and otherwise) has helped in making the Upstate a much better place to live. Eastern Tennessee, southwestern Virginia, and eastern portions of Kentucky make up one of the most racially and culturally un-diverse regions in the nation. If you wonder why I say that, just spend any reasonable amount of time there in person.

Mariakay, you would not be in any way unwelcome living here as a transplant. Sure there is a small group of individuals who feel it is their duty to be intolerant of anything related with "the North," but they are living in the past, completely out of touch with the reality that they are actually living in a vibrant, growing, and diverse community of people from all parts of the world.
100% correct. Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area