Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 03:41 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentonj Paul View Post
My wife and I moved from NJ three years ago. Since there is no Agriculture positions here, Raleigh is next. The food sux here . Closed community of the "church crowd"
I hate to disappoint you, but there won't be many agriculture-related positions in/near most metropolitan areas. If you want that, you'll need to go farther out from the city. That's true in Greenville, Raleigh, really anywhere that is a population center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 PM

5 posts, read 10,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I hate to disappoint you, but there won't be many agriculture-related positions in/near most metropolitan areas. If you want that, you'll need to go farther out from the city. That's true in Greenville, Raleigh, really anywhere that is a population center.
Well you would think there would be some farms within a 25 mile radius of this area, but nothing. Clemson has a great agricultural program and a closed door : "old boy's network "/ old money farts attitude.

Last edited by Trentonj Paul; 02-08-2009 at 05:06 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 05:23 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentonj Paul View Post
Well you would think there would be some farms within a 25 mile radius of this area, but nothing. Clemson has a great agricultural program and a closed door : "old boy's network "/ old money farts attitude.
Perhaps they just don't like your attitude? I know a few farmers in the area who are great people and get along with just about everyone.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,353 times
just curious Valove....the first post i read of yours was asking for advice....this last one #10....I would have thought was posted by someone who is currently living in Greenville (??) I'm confused---but being as this is 2 full years ago---not important i guess. We're heading down to Greenville so interest in these comments is worth typing in.... thanks

Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 PM

156 posts, read 332,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramayj View Post
I have Lived in Cleveland,Ohio my whole 48 years.My husband had two job offers in Greenville that we turned down at the time due to our kids.I have been to Greenville twice and loved it.After reading these posts,Im scared.What happened to .Greenville in the last 8 YEARS?.Thanks
Influx of way too many people way too fast.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:14 PM

156 posts, read 332,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Guestposter, you mean diluting your "Southernness." I was born in Greenville and have lived here most of my life, but consider this intolerant type of "North vs. South" garbage to be a remnant of the redneck faction, ignorantly wishing the Civil War hadn't ended. In my opinion, the large number of transplants (Northern and otherwise) has helped in making the Upstate a much better place to live. Eastern Tennessee, southwestern Virginia, and eastern portions of Kentucky make up one of the most racially and culturally un-diverse regions in the nation. If you wonder why I say that, just spend any reasonable amount of time there in person.

Mariakay, you would not be in any way unwelcome living here as a transplant. Sure there is a small group of individuals who feel it is their duty to be intolerant of anything related with "the North," but they are living in the past, completely out of touch with the reality that they are actually living in a vibrant, growing, and diverse community of people from all parts of the world.
I disagree. Born and raised here and love the people and the way they were brought up. I find that the huge explosion of Northerners (yes, I said it and I am NOT fighting the Cicil War anymore) has been a huge downfall for the city. I have worked with many and find them loud, self serving and thinking they deserve whatever they want. No manners. And THIS I'm afraid is ruining this great city. A few years from now all the locals will be moving out and you might as well call Gville southern NY!
Just my opinion.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:58 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post
I disagree. Born and raised here and love the people and the way they were brought up. I find that the huge explosion of Northerners (yes, I said it and I am NOT fighting the Cicil War anymore) has been a huge downfall for the city. I have worked with many and find them loud, self serving and thinking they deserve whatever they want. No manners. And THIS I'm afraid is ruining this great city. A few years from now all the locals will be moving out and you might as well call Gville southern NY!
Just my opinion.
What's wrong with getting what you want if you do what it takes to get it? Isn't that the beauty of America, free enterprise? I'm glad they are coming and I welcome them.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:25 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,912 times
Quote:
Just my opinion.
I don't get why it's all about the "south" vs. the "north", i've met plenty of people from northern areas that are great, i've met lots of people from the south who are great too, people are people, no matter where they come from, I meet obnoxious ones every day from all areas of the world, its not about where you're from, its how you are raised

Old 07-19-2009, 09:17 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
Quote:
Just my opinion.
While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I am very glad you do not speak for all Greenville natives. I think the diversity of people from all backgrounds is GREAT for the metro area. As NoodlesKnowles said, there are nice people and rude people from every area of the country. The people who live in Greenville are no exception.

We get into trouble when we stereotype. Doing so is based on ignorance, pure and simple. This might come as a shock to some of the "Suthun and proud of it" crowd, but the South doesn't have a monopoly on manners, class, or politeness. Customs might differ slightly from one region to the other, but when you get down to it people are basically the same.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:53 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Moving to Greenville was the biggest mistake of my life!

I am now four years into fighting with my ex-wife in Greenville County Family Court. We don't even live there now! (both of us now live in Texas) Unfortunately, state law means we have to travel to craptastic Greenville every time the winch sneezes and wants to blame me, and the court just loves the drama and piles on me because I was stupid enough to go to school and get a job.

Greenville is nothing but a rotten backwater town stuck in the 1950's with enough imported residents and modern conveniences to convince people that it's not like the old South. Yeah right... just wait until you get into Family Court (which half of you who are married will do at some point) and you will see what I mean.

I spent $20,000 trying to argue for custody because I didn't think it was right for the children to live with someone who doesn't pay her bills, refuses to get a job, doesn't give the children haircuts, doesn't make the children cut their fingernails, doesn't make the children go to school every day, and doesn't even allow the youngest child (9 years old) to wear shoes with shoelaces! The woman is nothing more than a fertile deadbeat.

I had a pile of evidence proving that this moron is incapable of raising three children properly, and what did I get in return? The judge didn't even bother calling one of her witnesses, saying "it won't make any difference". Her lawyer and the guardian ad litem conspired with one another to cheat me out of custody, with the court playing along like this is some kind of soap opera.

I filed a complaint about the crooked guardian ad litem with the Greenville County Family Court three months ago and I am still waiting for a reply. I don't expect to ever get a reply because that would mean they would have to admit that appointing a biased crook as a guardian ad litem was a bad idea, which would contradict the widely held belief among the local population that "Greenville SC is the best thing since sliced bread". Excuse me while I throw up.

What's really sad is that your neighbor to the east, Spartanburg, recently had a gay pride march and it was quite successful. Greenville can't have that because the oppressive county and city government is a bunch of bible-thumpers who like shoving their fundamentalist views down your throat.

In Greenville I had a neighbor who could have been a TV preacher she was so self-righteous and all-knowing, lying through her teeth about how compassionate she is while doing the exact opposite behind your back. People like her can be found anywhere, but nowhere other than Greenville are there so many of them that they influence daily life for everyone else, making them miserable.

I used to live in Colorado Springs, a conservative city (including the headquarters of Focus on the Family), yet the social and political atmosphere is a complete 180 from Greenville. In Colorado Springs, people don't go around pointing fingers and assigning blame like they do in Greenville.

Greenville is the worst city I have ever lived in or even visited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area