Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
In all other cases, I do send a sympathy card or, if the friendship has grown apart due to time and distance, I do nothing.
Majority rules, Robert - go with what you've done all along. Seriously - this is really not the time or the place - you're just going to make your old friend feel worse. If you've lost respect for him as well, then why rip off the Bandaid?

Not the time, not the place. Ashes in the wind, my friend. Take the high road, be the bigger man...but not as big as Winston Churchill....I'm sorta thinkin' you ain't ready for that prime time yet ). You can't be the bigger man in this scenario acting trashy and tacky.

And yeah - for the record - truly classy people rise above stuff like this. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 04:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
A couple of things:

- I don't feel that a classless act makes for a classless person. If they only taped all the conversations that have taken place in the Oval Office over the years... Winston Churchill threw some zingers, too.

- I should have been clearer. While I don't like the person who the thread is about, I have also lost respect for the person who would be receiving it.

It's the first and only time that I feel such a letter may be "warranted." In all other cases, I do send a sympathy card or, if the friendship has grown apart due to time and distance, I do nothing.
Then be the bigger person and say, "I'm sorry for your loss."

Old 09-08-2012, 05:58 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:

It's the first and only time that I feel such a letter may be "warranted."
You still haven't explained what purpose it would serve. What is wrong with saying nothing? As Va-cat said, it's not about you.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:43 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Quote:
They absolutely do NOT deserve condolences. They are just like the parent to which the OP refers.
Why did your ex-friend send you the funeral notice? That's what I am wondering.....

Old 02-07-2016, 01:20 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
...regarding someone you detest, and the person sending it knew you detested this person, instead of sending a condolence card, is it ok to instead send a brief letter telling them what you candidly thought of this person? (This piggybacks onto the "when someone you don't like dies" thread).
When my nephew through marriage told me his mother (my SIL) had died, in my head I was thinking "thank God the ***** is finally dead". She destroyed any relationship my late husband had with his family with unfounded rumors and downright lies and I wanted nothing to do with her. She never sent a card or anything to myself or my children when their father died (her brother). Instead of saying what I really felt, I just told him "I'm so sorry for your loss, I know you and your mother were very close". I will send him a "thinking of you" card on the anniversary of his mother's death in a few weeks. Because that's what a decent person does.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:35 PM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 29 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,587 times
Several days ago, I learned of the death of an uncle, mother's brother, who was talking smack about my mother the night before her funeral, and it got me so upset I kicked him out of the funeral, and we never spoke to each other again.

My mother actually seemed to idolize her brother, even though he was talking garbage about her.

Mother died in June, 2005, and uncle died last month, January 13, I learned of his death while visiting the find-a-grave web site, looking at the interments in the cemetery where my grandparents, mother and uncle's parents, are buried---uncle was buried next to them.

After reading his obituary on several web sites, I signed the online condolence books, simply saying to his surviving wife and son "I hope you are finding peace and comfort after your loss".

I felt it was taking the high road, and giving me closure, even though they (the uncle, his wife and kid) didn't have much consideration for my mother and myself at the time of her death.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:46 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
...regarding someone you detest, and the person sending it knew you detested this person, instead of sending a condolence card, is it ok to instead send a brief letter telling them what you candidly thought of this person? (This piggybacks onto the "when someone you don't like dies" thread).

What I would do: Nothing. Toss the letter and ignore it. If it's so important to the sender that he/she questions later 'why', then you can say something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning