Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:34 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times

Advertisements

I have gotten into such a bad sleep schedule!!! I can not sleep at night. I go to bed exhausted but as soon as my head hits the pillow, my brain starts to "think" on it's own it feels like. I do fine during the day, every day now but the night times are a wash. Have no idea how many times I've gone 24-36 without sleep and still have a hard time finding it! I seem to have no problems sleeping during the day though. That is killing my ability to function as I need to. Does anyone else have trouble sleeping at night now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 02:23 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Yes. Sometimes there's tossing and turning for a couple of hours before I fall asleep. Sometimes I just give it up, get out of bed and wait the images and thoughts out. My mind is a freeway, with random and disconnected images and thoughts racing past me, one right after the other. Took a sleeping pill a couple of times but don't like to do that. There's no distractions at night. Easier to keep busy during the day. It is what it is.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
I did, Tami. Dh died Oct 26th, 2009 and his 60th birthday would have been Nov 3, then Thanksgiving, my birthday and Christmas. Until about April, I was a sleepless wreck. Finally, I got so run down, I went to my doctor and he prescribed Ambien. I took it for a while, and it was wonderful. I slept like a log. I also started taking my laptop into bed with me and going on Facebook, or doing my journal in Microsoft Word. Occasionally, I'd Hulu a TV show or a movie. I found that it really made me sleepy to just "zone out" on the computer in bed, and I'd fall asleep pretty easily. Every once and a while, I'll hit a patch of insomnia and I'll take an Ambien, but I'm still on the original Rx of 20 and it's three years later! Seriously, though, journaling on the laptop, all cozy in bed, really does put me to sleep.

Last edited by Marcy1210; 09-10-2012 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-10-2012, 03:59 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
lots of people get a new sleep pattern through grief. You can only go with the flow. Thinking starts when you hit the bed so some nights you just have to get up and busy yourself, no matter what. Even if it's getting online and checking CD...

Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I go through fits and starts of not sleeping. Right now I'm not sleeping very well, even when I take Benadryl for my allergies.

The house seems so big and empty, and even the cats seem at loose ends. They still look for their daddy.

Exercise, a hot shower, chamomile or valerian tea, lavender scent -- any or all may help a little. I find that going to bed with a book, well before I'm sleepy, helps. If I wait to go to bed until I'm already sleepy, I'll get that second wind as I wash and undress, etc.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,304 times
I was like that for a while. DH died 5-29-12 - At about month 2, I decided I needed to start taking care of me...after a couple of years that was daunting! I started walking again, almost everyday. I was pooped, so I slept but it also helped me emotionally.
I also have Labs that need to run and be exercised and a job to go to...so mostly, now, I sleep pretty good. Some nights are a sobfest, but I can't deny those.
Oh yeah, Melatonin!

Old 09-20-2012, 04:48 AM

379 posts, read 533,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
I was like that for a while. DH died 5-29-12 - At about month 2, I decided I needed to start taking care of me...after a couple of years that was daunting! I started walking again, almost everyday. I was pooped, so I slept but it also helped me emotionally.
I also have Labs that need to run and be exercised and a job to go to...so mostly, now, I sleep pretty good. Some nights are a sobfest, but I can't deny those.
Oh yeah, Melatonin!
Hi sue, so sorry for your recent loss. Mine died 4-1-12. Like you, I am starting to take care of me. I have some good days and some not so good days, but trying to take one day at a time. I would really be lost if I didn't have my 2 dogs and 2 cats to dote on.

I am originally from Santa Ana, born and raised there, so just wanted to say hello from one CA chik to another!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Oh boy does this sound like me about 20 yrs ago as some of you know I was a widow at 32 and he was 41 and I still had three young kids at home ... I could not sleep either some days I could not even brush my hair and im sure my kids were like "God is Mom ever going to brush her hair again ?" well anyways yes I had to go to the dr and get something to help me sleep it was some tiny white pills but boy did they put me out .. I was an emotional wreck back then and still get that sometimes . About a year ago this time I had a severe bout with pneumonia and I seriously thought I was going to die and I could not sleep and i was on oxygen therapy and the whole nine yards and my mind would race and I was wicked sick as well . I was so scared I did not want to go to sleep cause i thought I was going to die in my sleep , seriously you think about all these things running through your head , well I got through it with the Lords help and alot of prayer and thank God I did not need the tiny white pills again but yes you can have a million things running through your head when tragedy happens . I wish all of you well and good .

Old 09-21-2012, 01:09 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
I'm about ready to tear my hair out with this not sleeping at night! My doc will not give me any pills and the OTC don't work anymore. I finally fell asleep today at 9 a.m. and was up at noon again. At least I did get some rest. My poor animals also don't get good rest either. My constant in and out of bed, roaming around, disturbs their sleep as well and I feel pretty bad about that.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:54 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I'm about ready to tear my hair out with this not sleeping at night! My doc will not give me any pills and the OTC don't work anymore. I finally fell asleep today at 9 a.m. and was up at noon again. At least I did get some rest. My poor animals also don't get good rest either. My constant in and out of bed, roaming around, disturbs their sleep as well and I feel pretty bad about that.
if you don't HAVE to keep a certain schedule Tami, then just go with the flow for now.
Your body seems to have a way of correcting itself after awhile.
I'm an admitted night owl but lately my body seems to want sleep time earlier and earlier. I have found that if I find a really interesting book then I'm anxious to lie down to read it but begin to fall asleep before reading a full chapter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning